Subject: More is Less - and I know how the Rat feels (possible spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me explain a bit about myself. I am a huge Fan of the Demon Souls/Dark Souls series having beat Demon Souls and Dark Souls more than once. I am also a huge RPG fan who has played and finished just about every RPG available for the PS3 console. I am drawn to the genre and love everything about the RPG mechanics from questing to leveling and equipment upgrades - all the RPG staples that makeup the RPG genre.

I love Demon Souls. It still ranks as the greatest Video RPG game I have ever played and has scratched my dark fantasy, sword & sorcery itch like no other video before or after. It is a beautiful dark and horrible game of epic victories and failures that builds moment by moment toward a extremely statisfying ending that epitomizes the climb to the mountain top like no other game before or since.

Dark Souls 1 was a very good sequel that falls short of the original because it never established itself beyond improved mechanics or layout. They shined it up, but failed to deliver a story or plot that is more than the original - it's worst than a store bought adventure (to copy a phrase from the pen and paper RPG world) because it doesn't deliver a story worth telling. It's a set of encounters that leaves you less at the end - when Demon Souls left you a Hero of epic proportions!

Which brings us to the newest game in the series - Dark Souls 2. Here we again have a shined up version of Dark Souls 1.

More areas!
More bosses!
More bonfires!
More monsters!
More leveling!
More NPCs!
More merchants!
More souls!
More invasions!
More equipment options!
More crap you will never need!
More difficulty!
More challenge!
More deaths!

I could go on. Dark Souls 2 gives you more of everything than both Dark Souls 1 and Demon Souls. They took everything one could like about the mechanics and added to it. Even the despawning of enemies isn't so bad because there are so many areas you just move on - the souls are plentiful, especially when you gain a range weapon.

I did everything I could in the game - I started out as a depraved since I was a veteran DS player. There was lots to do - it took me over 150 hours to finish the game - and there were parts I really had fun with. Some great encounters, memorable areas or bosses. I joined every covenant and liked some more than others. There is a lot to do .

But here's the spoiler (doing this on my iphone so I don't have all options)

- in the end I felt played. Like a rat in the maze. The experiment was over - much like DS 1, DS 2 had no statisfying ending - no story worth repeating - no epic victories. Just a sad cut and paste from DS 1 that pales and diminishes the brand of Demon Souls. What am epic fail. Not even a choice to make - no impact, no individuality to display just the ultimate errand boy.

Sure I got my $60 bucks worth but in the end, the quest for a freaking healing potion in Two Worlds 2 is more satisfying then the sitting on a throne in the empty room of Dark Souls 2.

More turns out to be less. As it usually is in video games - the lack of substance of story and plot can never be hidden no matter how much new stuff is piled high on top of it.

Never more true than Dark Souls 2.

I give this game a six out of ten. Enjoy your romp through the From Software maze - but there's no cheese at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree totally with you that story-wise the games gets worse and worse and that the ending in DS2 is a joke I still enjoy the game immensely. Or to put it like this, it's the journey that's the goal of the game not the ending.

I still think they could have given us some sort of choice in the end, but I can't really see what we should choose between?

If you try to load up either Demon's Souls or Dark Souls again you'll see how much improved game play actually is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Doomfarer - there are some things to enjoy about the game but I worry about the future of the franchise if we continually praise such shoddy effort at creating a cohesive, detailed micro-plot within the macro fun gameplay and mechanics. Why would From Software change their cut and paste plot and storyline creating if gamers don't demand more than what DS2 delivers?

This is unforgivable in my opinion. A step back and a slap in the face to long time fans and players of the Demon/Dark Souls franchise. I hope the next effort (working title Beast Souls ) will be brand new - Dark Souls needs to die, like we have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPOILER ALERT **** SPOILER ALERT *****

A video that attempts to explain the DS 2 ending - in the end he could've just said "Cut and Paste" and I would've agreed.

http://vaatividya.tumblr.com/post/85772127742/new-video-dark...

So sad to see remixed hash be served as revelation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.