Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » General

Subject: One really cool thing about SotM is... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...that the coolest heroes are women!

Tachyon is cool for all the same reasons as the Flash, Fanatic has a giant fiery sword, and Visionary is a telepath from the future! Oh and the Wraith is basically Batman.

Anyone else appreciate the great female characters in SotM?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely! There is almost a 50% female representation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Unity and Ex-Pat, both of which are awesomesauce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
K.N.Y.F.E.!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Optimist says everything's great here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree -- the female characters are just more interesting all around.

One thing I don't like though, is this:

mynameistopher wrote:
Wraith is basically Batman.

I would take out the word "basically" and add "a blatant rip-off of". I do wish they could have been a little more original with her. It's one of the weaknesses of the SotM brand, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:

mynameistopher wrote:

I would take out the word "basically" and add "a blatant rip-off of". I do wish they could have been a little more original with her. It's one of the weaknesses of the SotM brand, in my opinion.

Eh... They're all pretty much expies of other heroes. Legacy is Superman, Tachyon is Flash, Tempest is Aquaman, etc. I don't mind. I like Batman. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mynameistopher wrote:
Eh... They're all pretty much expies of other heroes. Legacy is Superman, Tachyon is Flash, Tempest is Aquaman, etc. I don't mind. I like Batman. sauron

Well I know there are parallels, but Tempest doesn't really remind me of Aquaman very much. Legacy is a cheerleader with nowhere near the power level of Superman. Tachyon is fast, but I see no other similarity to Flash.

On the other hand, on every card, Wraith is exactly Batman, with a sex change.

Then again, maybe I'm just more familiar with Batman, so I'm not seeing all of the similarities in the other characters? I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game with my 9 year old daughter, we took Parse, Expatriette, Tachyon and Wraith up against The Chairman (on normal mode). On the second hero's turn, my daughter mentioned "Hey dad! We're playing all girls!" I replied "You're right! Go Team Girl Squad!!" and we gave each other a high five. It wasn't planned that way -- we each just wanted to play interesting heroes.

We won. Barely. Expat and Parse were down, and Wraith and Tachyon had about 5 HP each. Great fun. Would have gone worse for us had the Final Wasteland not removed some cards from the game...

My daughter really loves the game. To use her own words, she's 'addicted to Sentinels', and I'm reasonably sure that the strong female characters has something to do with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mynameistopher wrote:
Rubric wrote:

mynameistopher wrote:

Eh, I'd say Legacy is more Captain America than Superman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:
In a recent game with my 9 year old daughter, we took Parse, Expatriette, Tachyon and Wraith up against The Chairman (on normal mode). On the second hero's turn, my daughter mentioned "Hey dad! We're playing all girls!" I replied "You're right! Go Team Girl Squad!!" and we gave each other a high five. It wasn't planned that way -- we each just wanted to play interesting heroes.

We won. Barely. Expat and Parse were down, and Wraith and Tachyon had about 5 HP each. Great fun. Would have gone worse for us had the Final Wasteland not removed some cards from the game...

My daughter really loves the game. To use her own words, she's 'addicted to Sentinels', and I'm reasonably sure that the strong female characters has something to do with that.

Great post! I have a 9 month old daughter that I hope gets addicted to Sentinels some day like your daughter is now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryker1979 wrote:

Anybody else remember the DC-Marvel "Amalgam" crossover universe? Legacy reminds me quite a bit of Super-Soldier, but without a shield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryker1979 wrote:
mynameistopher wrote:
Rubric wrote:

mynameistopher wrote:

Yeah, there's definitely some Cap in there too! Sentinels does a good job of distilling certain "types" into their essences. Legacy is the All-American Good Guy type. Wraith has a healthy dose of Batman in her, but she represents any kind of night lurking vigilante type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:
Stryker1979 wrote:

Anybody else remember the DC-Marvel "Amalgam" crossover universe? Legacy reminds me quite a bit of Super-Soldier, but without a shield.

Oh man. Amalgam. What a fun, weird, occasionally awful experiment that was. Remember the three way mix up that was The Flash, Etrigan the Demon, AND Ghost Rider? Named Speed Demon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
mynameistopher wrote:

Well I know there are parallels, but Tempest doesn't really remind me of Aquaman very much. Legacy is a cheerleader with nowhere near the power level of Superman. Tachyon is fast, but I see no other similarity to Flash.

Then again, maybe I'm just more familiar with Batman, so I'm not seeing all of the similarities in the other characters? I don't know.

Expies are never straight out copies, but new characters meant to remind you of the old. In that he is correct.

Legacy is Superman as far as what his powers are supposed to be, but he's also got some Captain America in him. He plays more like the latter, but still has elements of the former.

Tachyon is definitely flash. Superspeed, check. Is a scientist in civilian life, check. Rival uses gear to imitate speed with a color reversed version of costume, check.

Wraith is female Batman and Rook City is Gotham City. Full stop.

Haka is a much smarter Hulk. Okay he's a very original take on the Hulk, but there's still enough there.

Tempest is a blend of Aquaman and weather manipulator heroes. In other words, he's Basically the DC Tempest, same name, aquatic, can talk to sea creatures, just an alien instead of an Atlantean.

Ra is Thor, but based on a different deity. Normal person who finds a god's signature weapon and transforms into said deity. Even has elemental based powers and can throw his weapon and call it back to him at will.

Omnitron X is Brainiac 5. Future version of (sometimes) robotic foe who is good instead of evil.

The Sentinels are kinda like the Fantastic 4. Different powers sets, but a group of four with different powers and are more family than just a team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:

Haka is a much smarter Hulk. Okay he's a very original take on the Hulk, but there's still enough there.

You act as if the Hulk is the only bulky punchy hero in all of comics. There are a bunch of them. Haka doesn't have anger issues or transform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:

Your post has me asking myself the question...which one is "THE UGLY ONNNNNEEE!"

I miss that website...*sniff*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
I miss that website...*sniff*

I guess I should maybe tell you to give it a look again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hero analogs? Here is my personal list of all of them!

Legacy = Capt. America/Superman

Visionary = Jean Gray (Phoenix)

Tempest = Piccolo (DragonballZ)/ Storm

Ab. Zero = Mr. Freeze

Fanatic = Archangel

Haka = Beast/Hulk

Bunker = Warmachine

Wraith = Batman

Tachyon = Flash

Ra = Thor

ChronoRanger = Bishop/Jonah Hex

OmnitronX = Ultron/Brainiac 5

Unity = Forge

Scholar = The Dude (Big Lebowski)

Expatrette = Punisher

Mr. Fixer = Iron Fist/Black Panther

Nightmist = Dr. Strange/Lovecraft

Argent Adept = D&D Bard/Dazzler

Parse = Green Arrow

Naturalist = Beast Boy

Idealist = Blue Lantern Corp.

Medico = Elixir

Mainstay = Ghostrider (I admit this one is kinda meh. I could do better)

Writhe = Cloak (of Cloak&Dagger)/ Venom

The Sentinels (group) = Fantastic 4

Setback = Longshot

KNYFE = Psylock/Black Widow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Brownsword
msg tools
Rubric wrote:
Legacy is a cheerleader with nowhere near the power level of Superman.

Iron Legacy says hi.

Seriously though, as boy scout type heroes both Legacy and Superman hold back their strength a lot (if superman punched Lex Luthor at his full strength Luthor would be paint on the ground), you want to see both Superman and Legacy's full capabilities look to the evil ones with zero restraint.

Rubric wrote:
Tachyon is fast, but I see no other similarity to Flash.

That's pretty much the Flash's powerset in general, it's worth noting that the original Flash was also a scientist although not on the Reed Richards level Taychon is.

Rubric wrote:

There are some differences, like the living parents, lack of official status with the police, ect. ect. But yeah, the primary basis of her inspiration was Batman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluedarky wrote:
Rubric wrote:
Tachyon is fast, but I see no other similarity to Flash.

That's pretty much the Flash's powerset in general,

To me, that's not enough detail to support the analogy. That would mean any speedster character is automatically a Flash knock-off.

This is the same reason I reject the argument that Hulk is strong, therefore Haka = Hulk. It ignores the details that make the characters interesting. As someone else said, Hulk is certainly not the only strong character in comics. The differences between Haka and Hulk are more numerous than the similarities. Hulk has the interesting jekyll-and-hyde persona, and Bruce Banner is a major part of the character. Haka has a tribal origin, and seems to have almost a magic-like basis for his powers. He also uses weapons, while Hulk does not.

I also don't buy Ra = Thor, just because they have similar origin stories. Ra was obviously inspired by Thor, but GtG did a great job of taking a similar origin and making a new character out of it. And, hey, Thor is a strong guy with a magic weapon, so why is Haka not seen as a Thor clone?

With Flash, I don't have enough knowledge of the character to draw comparisons. I didn't even know he was a scientist. However, any superhero game is going to have a speedster -- it's part of the genre. How far would they have to go to stop the Flash comparisons? Is it even possible? I admit they didn't go very far in this case -- I feel like Tachyon's deck doesn't reflect as much personality as Haka's deck does, so it's hard to see where they were going with her. But still, it just doesn't scream Flash the way Wraith screams Batman.

Quote:
There are some differences, like the living parents, lack of official status with the police

I'm not aware of these facts. Where are you getting them? Regardless, I still think Wraith is creatively weak, even though she is a great character mechanically.

Anyway, sorry to the OP for jacking the thread. SotM's female characters are awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:

I also don't buy Ra = Thor, just because they have similar origin stories. Ra was obviously inspired by Thor, but GtG did a great job of taking a similar origin and making a new character out of it. And, hey, Thor is a strong guy with a magic weapon, so why is Haka not seen as a Thor clone?

Ra is an expy of Thor. He's not a rip off or a copy. He's inspired by and reminds you of Thor but is very much his own character. That's what makes for a good expy.

Admittedly the Haka = Hulk one is by far the weakest and is a bit of a stretch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:
Ra is an expy of Thor. He's not a rip off or a copy. He's inspired by and reminds you of Thor but is very much his own character. That's what makes for a good expy.

Expy is not a real word, and I refuse to acknowledge it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:

Quote:
There are some differences, like the living parents, lack of official status with the police

I'm not aware of these facts. Where are you getting them? Regardless, I still think Wraith is creatively weak, even though she is a great character mechanically.

Anyway, sorry to the OP for jacking the thread. SotM's female characters are awesome!

The official website bio mentions her parents giving her the company. http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/multiverse/heroes/wraith
There are other differences. She is a primarily ranged combatant, only getting hand-to-hand when the enemy gets too close or she obviously can win a the fight. Batman is usually a close quarters combatant, only using ranged tactics to get a preemptive strike, disarm, or immobilize.

Wraith also lacks gimmicky gadgets. After all, she actually uses real knives and not bladed, bat-shaped boomerangs. And is using knives really a nod to that? Look at other thrown projectile weapons there are. There are axes, but those a very bulky and not easy to carry a lot with. Also shuriken, which are even more boomerang like and a ninja weapon.

She also lacks a prepubescent sidekick. Their personalities don't even match up. The reason they each became super heroes in the first place aren't the same either.

Get into the timeline of Sentinel Tactics, she no longer has a secret identity and has sold her company.

So the similarities are; dark costume, own a very successful business, gadgeteer, and live in a crime filled city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronway wrote:
So the similarities are; dark costume, own a very successful business, gadgeteer, and live in a crime filled city.
You make some excellent points, but I think the backstory of the brutal criminal attack might deserve mention too, although the brutal attack leading to the creation of Batman happened when he was much younger. Maybe that's a corollary of living in a crime-filled city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.