Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United States
Triangle Area
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the announcement of battle fields where does that leave warfare. I know they already released the warfare cards And have announced that all future expansions will include them. It just seems odd to do this while creating a new tabletop version. To the people that hang out on dust forms know anymore about this.

I got into dust because I wanted to get into tabletop miniatures. It seem like a good transition. Because it was both a Board game and a miniature game. Just need to know if the warfare books are going to go away. Thanks and keep it Civil.

On a sidenote what is with him breaking apart the vehicle Packs. I can understand if there just trying to create front in cash flow Due to the agreement with fantasy flight. And I don't mind if future expansions don't come with multiple version. But it will be really cheap of them to release extremely similar vehicles in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Heart

Tacoma
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Battlefront (the company that publishes Dust now), they are going to continue to fully support Dust Warfare. Currently, they have just placed Dust Warfare unit cards which are just now avaible in gaming stores. Battlefront also plans on releasing Warfare tokens (for things like suppression, reactions, on fire, reload, etc.) in the future but are currently finishing up their work on the new version of Tactics. As I understand it, the Battlefield rules are just an extension to the new Dust Tactics rule set they are releasing this year.

As a Dust Warfare player only, I don't see Battlefield being a competitor to Warfare as they are different game systems that just so happen to use the same models. One one of those game systems has any interest from me.

As for the vehicles, I too have heard that future releases will be for separate units, although; I don't know it that is just rumors or how future releases will be handled. Until I hear it from Battlefront directly or see it in gaming stores, I'm going to treat it as rumor only (which there is a lot of with Dust).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The word is that DW is good to go and here to stay. I think it's pretty awesome having figures that can be used for 3 different games.

Battlefield is just Dust Tactics without the grid and few added twists to raise the game level some. Dust Warfare is a much deeper game than Battlefield... at least that is my belief. DW is one of my favorite miniatures games, but I will be switching to Battlefield when the dust (pardon the pun) settles because it is so much simpler and easier to teach than DW. I don't like the grid in DT, so Battlefield is what I always wanted. DW was a surprise as it had so few mechanics in common with DT, but it did not take long to impress me.

Bottom line, you buy a figure and have lots of choices in what level of game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howard is a ninja.

@ Howard - someone did post a list of upcoming boxed sets and they are indeed breaking up things like the medium walker. You will need to buy 2 or 3 box sets to have the pieces that were once in a single box. I think they also show some of these on their official dust site www.dust-tactics.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
soccer_knight5 wrote:
With the announcement of battle fields where does that leave warfare. I know they already released the warfare cards And have announced that all future expansions will include them. It just seems odd to do this while creating a new tabletop version. To the people that hang out on dust forms know anymore about this.

I got into dust because I wanted to get into tabletop miniatures. It seem like a good transition. Because it was both a Board game and a miniature game. Just need to know if the warfare books are going to go away. Thanks and keep it Civil.

On a sidenote what is with him breaking apart the vehicle Packs. I can understand if there just trying to create front in cash flow Due to the agreement with fantasy flight. And I don't mind if future expansions don't come with multiple version. But it will be really cheap of them to release extremely similar vehicles in the future.

i dont play warfare , but it did stand out in my mind that

1)BF has been sketchy about the whole warfare issue . based on what i had seen people taliking about on the FB page , battle front was blaming FFG for why they arent working on warfare more indepth . FFG had told people that BF had all the rights and lic. and EVERYTHINg they needed , that FFG had given it ALL to BF , so it was on BF to make it happen , not FFG . then more people said they were still getting the run around from BF . thus far , BF has only really mentioned the cards and tokens , but nothing as far as rules .

2) a lot of the people that i had seen on the FB page that were so adimate about likeing TACTICS 2nd ed were initaily WF players , which made me wonder if the new rules werent also intended to help stall warfare players even longer , because atleast some of the comments were about how they felt tactics was worth playing now , so what will they think when battle field hits the table ?

3) i guess they HAD done some playtesting for warfare with players online in their forums , but that was a good while back , and from what people had said ,it sounded like it failed miserably . i dont know what went wrong , but it was after that that BF apparently began blaming FFG for the stall , over what ever the LIC issue is thatthey were cliaming was at issue , that FFG said didnt exist .

4) while i dont care one way or the other about warfare , i would ask you this : since battle field is a table top version of DT , and warfare is a table top version of DT , why would one company spend the time and resources to essentially attract that same target player to the game twice , when they can write one , letthe other die off , and get the same new players to the table . even if they DO write more material for warfare , it should be asked what degree of support will each game get , as it would make 3 distinct games to write for , and how many gaming dollars can they guarantee on each to warrant the expense of publishing ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.