Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: How to make a "well-received" board.
I'm planning to make a cribbage board as a surprise birthday gift for a friend. I want to keep it a surprise (especially since I might not finish before the special day :whistle: ), so I don't want to ask him a bunch of customization questions. What configuration is most likely to be something he would use regularly?
1. How many streets?
2. How long should each street be?
3. Make it cyclic (so that it starts where it ends)?
Yes, cyclic.
No, two distinct ends.
4. Include lines and numbers avery five points?
No. Lines and numbers are for pansies.
Just the skunk line but no others.
Lines but no numbers.
Lines and numbers.
5. How many game holes for each player?
0 Don't bother.
6. Include holes to track skunks separately?
Yes.
No, a skunk just counts as two games.
7. Anything else?
No, that pretty much covers it.
Yes. (Please describe in comments.)
      45 answers
Poll created by ryanker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this one qualifies as "a bit much".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice gift.

I left the player count blank because that depends on your friend's preferred player count. Does he ever play with 3 or 4 players? I like the option and just this past weekend played a 3-player game.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Poll: How to make a "gifted" board.
ryanker wrote:
oh yeah? Well, somebody LIST some "game" of 'cards' in which you used 16 since 'moi' possessed some "Bicycle"-brand sort! NAME "name" 'game' shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanker wrote:

Is it wrong that I kinda like that one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:
ryanker wrote:

I think it's awesome. That's a great site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:
ryanker wrote:

I totally want that board! Gorgeous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand people who answer some questions in a poll and not others. I've done it myself on occasion.

I just noticed that 26 people have answered the "Lines and Numbers" question above but the next most answered question has only 24 responses. There are (at least) 2 people who care enough about lines and number to respond but not about the number of "streets" or length of game? Huh, well ok then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Madcapmartini wrote:
I left the player count blank because that depends on your friend's preferred player count. Does he ever play with 3 or 4 players? I like the option and just this past weekend played a 3-player game.

The one time I played with four people, it was two-on-two, so we only needed two tracks.

Is four-player everyone-for-themselves generally played? I guess so since 16% (so far) have voted for a four track board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been making cribbage boards for a bit now, I wish I had seen this thread earlier! Overall I try to design my boards to reflect the elegance and simplicity that the game conveys so take that into consideration.

If you intend to only play 2 player then just make two tracks. If you require a 3rd and are likely to play that way your friend will likely have a board on hand that can be used.

I mostly recommend sticking with 60 holes as it keeps things trim and not too busy. However, my favorite boards to make are put inside a piece of log (preferably with bark still attached) that is sawn in half lengthwise. Two tracks of 30 holes each creates quite a striking profile in these cases. Depending on your shape a full 120 or even only 30 might work better. Try to envision the final shape and size of board you want.

I prefer not adding any lines or numbers at all, again sticking with simplicity. To aid scoring I simply space my holes at 1/4 inch from each other with 1/2 inch gaps between each grouping of 5. a 7/32 or 1/4 drill bit makes a nice sized hole.

Additionally, given that I like making mine from natural wood shapes, I like to take my scraps and whittle my own pegs. Simply dip one set into a semi-dark colored stain a few times and you'll have no trouble telling them apart.

I'm sure the time for your friend's birthday is past already. If so and you made the board please add a picture here! I'd love to see it. If not consider having a go this year. It's really fun and I haven't given one to someone yet that didn't really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines and number ARE for pansies unless these are the kinds of lines and numbers you are talking about:

Of course every true wargamer/historian knows that Yorktown class CVs did not have that sort of gun arrangement, but that can easily be fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.