Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been asked before, it seems like a MAJOR point, but seems very missable in the rules. I just got this, have not played, but wanted to understand prior to playing and teaching my group.

Where is it stated that players get multiple turns in a round?

I read and re-read the rules as I couldn't understand why you would have multiple agents. The rules kept stating "You still can't assign more than 1 agent per turn." This led me to assume (obviously now incorrectly) that each player would only get 1 turn per round, it's not stated you get only 1, but it's also not stated you get multiple...

So I read the instructions assuming you get 1 turn and assign 1 agent, which is then returned to you at the end of the round. Even if you place in the harbour you get to reassign that agent, not a new one.

I had a look through the cards and it seems like there's the odd time you get to place a 2nd agent.

This all confused me enough that I watched the Tabletop podcast and only after watching that did I realise you play agents until they're all on the board, then reassign, then the round ends. I've now re-read the rules and I still don't see it explicitly stated.

It does state "play skips to the next player in order who still has available agents" so that does imply keeping going round the table. The End of Round statement, states only after "agents have been reassigned" does the round end, not all agents played, then reassigned. You have to read the point 2 under the Harbour to see that "all agents have been assigned" creates the reassign agents time, but again not very clear that anyone gets multiple turns.

Anyway - I think I understand the rules now but it was only my general confusion as a person who's played a number of games that caused me to question, not the rules.

Edit - bit of a rules rant, sorry, normally I can "get" games quickly and this really threw me so was just wondering if it was "just me!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems as though you have worked out you get to place all your agents before the turn is over.

Another thing easy to miss is that you can complete a quest any time you place an agent. So with the right adventurers you can complete multiple quests per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are far from the first person to be confused by this rule, although you may be the first to be confused in this exact fashion. To answer your question, while it's not explicitly said, page 8 is clearly operating under this assumption:

Quote:
The Lords of Waterdeep game is played in rounds. During each round, players take turns in which they assign their Agents to various tasks.

If you have no more Agents available to assign, you can no longer take turns that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
Another thing easy to miss is that you can complete a quest any time you place an agent. So with the right adventurers you can complete multiple quests per turn.

No. The rules explicitly say that you can only complete 1 quest/turn even if you place multiple agents. (page 10)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlebRittie wrote:
Cesspit wrote:

No. The rules explicitly say that you can only complete 1 quest/turn even if you place multiple agents. (page 10)

I think he meant that you can complete multiple quests per round, one per agent placed, except for a few rare cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlebRittie wrote:
You are far from the first person to be confused by this rule, although you may be the first to be confused in this exact fashion. To answer your question, while it's not explicitly said, page 8 is clearly operating under this assumption:

Quote:
The Lords of Waterdeep game is played in rounds. During each round, players take turns in which they assign their Agents to various tasks.

If you have no more Agents available to assign, you can no longer take turns that round.

This is as close to stating it explicitly as I could see, in that it doesn't say "players take A TURN," but man is that easy to miss!

Anyhoo - was a little frustrated that it was only while watching gameplay that this became obvious, even a quick flick through this forum and FAQs didn't help clarify. Usually I end up on the forums for way more obscure things than this clearly very large part of the game! That's really what prompted the post, though I do realise I asked and answered and ranted all in the space of a few paragraphs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
Seems as though you have worked out you get to place all your agents before the round is over.

Another thing easy to miss is that you can complete a quest any time you place an agent. So with the right adventurers you can complete multiple quests per round.

Quick edit above to get terminology right now that I think I understand.

I think this is what threw me to some extent, I started reading like you'd get to put all your agents out on your turn with 1 turn per round. BUT then it contradicted my initial assumptions by saying only 1 agent per turn. 1 agent per turn, with multiple turns per round made way more sense when I got there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The placement of agents in Waterdeep, is actually very similar to a number of other "worker placement" games (in fact quite derivative of a couple in particular).

Not sure what other games you have played, and I wonder if perhaps the rule-writers may have assumed a bit much prior knowledge in the way they wrote the rules. As pointed out above, most of the rules issues with the game have been around the quest completion aspect.

Sometimes I think rules would benefit from a having a full round as an example, where it goes through a number of player turns. In terms of Waterdeep a full sample round could encompass all player turns and include some of the key things (like completing quests, reassignments from Waterdeep Harbour etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Closest game I've played would be Notre Dame, it's got worker placement and limited turns within 3 rounds. That has cards creating multiple turns in a round rather than supply of agents.

I agree that I do like seeing turn examples stuff in rules books, but you'd need to show a few to get this specific issue across.

I really think they're missing a sentence or few words during the round set-up or round ending paragraph stating that players will take multiple turns in a round until all agents are placed or similar.

Taking advantage of assumptions is just bad rule book design, not that I think this is a bad rule book. I understood everything else clearly (at least I think so until I start playing) but obviously missed one pretty large rule that's there but "hidden" in 3 or 4 turns of phrases that I found later.

I've read that LOD is a good intro-game and would agree as the concept is pretty simple, so still surprised that I missed this in these rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingsly
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
reading this in 2017 where i just bought this game, i have the same exact issue with it not explicitly stating that you use agents till you have none left. yet to watch game play videos but just reading the rules does not cover that point clearly. (maybe because our group only play minimal euro/work placement games? hahs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
niteblane wrote:
reading this in 2017 where i just bought this game, i have the same exact issue with it not explicitly stating that you use agents till you have none left. yet to watch game play videos but just reading the rules does not cover that point clearly. (maybe because our group only play minimal euro/work placement games? hahs)

It's possible that's why. I had no problem with this rule, but I don't know if it's because I've played enough other worker placement to 'get' the general concept, or because of the way I read rules.

I know there's a lot to how you read the rules. I don't emphasis needs put on terminology. (EDIT: Huh? I think emphasis... ) I think the statement quoted above about the rounds and the turns is good enough. I don't even consider it "an assumption." It makes it clear that a round and a turn are two different things, and that multiple turns exist in a round, and that you place until you run out. Plus the quote in OP's post about skipping to the next player who still has agents. If you go to the next player with agents, that would require continuing play til everyone runs out. (Since it says nothing about otherwise stopping.)

I always try to know the terminology used, and what all the components are called, and then try to take things as literally as possible. (Not that there's nothing wrong with the rules, oh, like not mentioning you can do more buildings than there are spaces.)

All that said, it never hurts to add a few more words/sentences to make sure something is explicit rather than implied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.