Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: 50 best non-superhero graphic novels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the list authors restricted themselves to 50, there will necessarily be some oversights and tough calls. But a solid list nonetheless.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/lists/drawn-out-the-50-b...


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason Lutes #48 is a regular on F:AT.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amazed how highly they rate From Hell.
Didn't care for that one.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the list. I mostly read non-superhero comics/graphic novels, but I've only read little more than a handful from that list. But really, there's some really glaring obmissions. "V for Vendetta"? "Sandman"? "The Walking Dead"? That's just some of the bigger ones. I would have liked to see one that really was a fascinating read, "My Friend Dahmer".
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
Thanks for the list. I mostly read non-superhero comics/graphic novels, but I've only read little more than a handfull from that list. But really, there's some really glaring obmissions. "V for Vendetta"? "Sandman"? "The Walking Dead"? That's just some of the bigger ones. I would have liked to see one that really was a fascinating read, "My Friend Dahmer".


I would add Bone in there as well.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
100 Bullets is my favourite. I'm short of about 4 comics.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
JockiB wrote:
Thanks for the list. I mostly read non-superhero comics/graphic novels, but I've only read little more than a handfull from that list. But really, there's some really glaring obmissions. "V for Vendetta"? "Sandman"? "The Walking Dead"? That's just some of the bigger ones. I would have liked to see one that really was a fascinating read, "My Friend Dahmer".


I would add Bone in there as well.


Yep I was surprised too.

I would have considered Alice In Sunderland, Chew, The Chimpanzee Complex, Grandville, Mouse Guard, Air, The Unwritten, Orbiter and more.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Locke & Key.

And lots and lots of European stuff.

No Asterix? Are they nuts?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
And I suspect that the compilers haven't actually read Y the Last Man. Yes, it had some good aspects, and a lot of promise, but ultimately it was a sad disappointment. Especially when it turned out that the author had no bloody explanation for his own story (said explanation being the whole point of most people continuing to read the thing). It was the Lost of comics.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
And I suspect that the compilers haven't actually read Y the Last Man. Yes, it had some good aspects, and a lot of promise, but ultimately it was a sad disappointment. Especially when it turned out that the author had no bloody explanation for his own story (said explanation being the whole point of most people continuing to read the thing). It was the Lost of comics.


I've had other people (like my brother, and other comic people online) recommend Y the Last Man. Like you I did not care for it. I found it terribly juvenile.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
Thanks for the list. I mostly read non-superhero comics/graphic novels, but I've only read little more than a handful from that list. But really, there's some really glaring obmissions. "V for Vendetta"? "Sandman"? "The Walking Dead"? That's just some of the bigger ones. I would have liked to see one that really was a fascinating read, "My Friend Dahmer".


Except for The Invisibles, is there any fantasy on the list?

Not Superhero =/= Not Fantasy
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Avatar
JasonJ0 wrote:
Locke & Key.

And lots and lots of European stuff.

No Asterix? Are they nuts?


And no Sandman/Walking Dead! WTF is up with this list?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Weak list.

Epileptic just drags on and on.
Maus is ok, but very outdated.
Black Hole, meh.

And yeah, Sandman's not being here is a joke. Unless they consider it superhero, which doesn't make much sense.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I'm amazed how highly they rate From Hell.
Didn't care for that one.


Really? I think it's my favourite ever.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:

Maus is ok, but very outdated.


Outdated? It should be required reading for everyone, especially with today's political climate in Europe. As should V for Vendetta, for the same reason.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
frumpish wrote:
I'm amazed how highly they rate From Hell.
Didn't care for that one.


Really? I think it's my favourite ever.


This might have something to do with the fact I have read a lot about serial killers and True Crime novels.

I can tell you that Moore has absolutely no idea about what motivates a serial killer. I understand he wanted to write a political book, but should have chosen another subject matter then.

Of course I didn't care at all for V For Vendetta either.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
Avatar
mbmbmb
I don't understand how Achewood or Hark! A Vagrant work here. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love them both, but I wouldn't have qualified either as "Graphic Novels", even with the release of the Great Outdoor Fight as a one book collection.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
Asur wrote:

Maus is ok, but very outdated.


Outdated? It should be required reading for everyone, especially with today's political climate in Europe.


Or any of other ten thousand books/movies/etc about the holocaust.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:

Or any of other ten thousand books/movies/etc about the holocaust.


Sure, that too. But how many comics are there? Comics are another way to get people educated about it, and Maus had some aspects that were new to me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how they had Incal, but I kind of miss seeing more of the european scifi stuff from the 80's from people like Moebius, Luiz Eduardo de Oliveira, and Juan Giménez.

I guess I am from the Heavy Metal age of indy comics.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only graphic novels or are trade paperbacks included?

Because they are not necessarily the same thing.

edit:

Never heard of #50 but #49 is not a graphic novel as I'm sure most aren't on that list.


pffft. People that don't know comic books just making up words they like the sound of.


This is a Graphic Novel...even has OGN on the cover. Never printed in any other format. comes out tomorrow.




double edit:

23 on that list are not GNs
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Graning
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
Only graphic novels or are trade paperbacks included?

Because they are not necessarily the same thing.


Seems to be both. A lot of trades in there. Comments section is full of people trying to correct the error.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll make up my own term for them.


How about: Crunchy Banana Hats?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
People from the outside looking in often use shorthand that has specific meaning for insiders as a catchall.

Heck I will use Classical as a catchall for orchestral music, knowing full well that there is Baroque and Romantic and Modern periods as well.

Or people will refer to all electronic dance music as techno, which is a specific subgenre.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
People from the outside looking in often use shorthand that has specific meaning for insiders as a catchall.

Heck I will use Classical as a catchall for orchestral music, knowing full well that there is Baroque and Romantic and Modern periods as well.

Or people will refer to all electronic dance music as techno, which is a specific subgenre.



This is a strange coincidence, since I also call techno music Crunchy Banana Hats.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.