Subject: Base Game:Which side best for a newbie? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Roy
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I have the base game and am familiar with the rules, but I have not played the game. I want to teach the game to my wife, so I am thinking she should play the Imperial side with the two TIE fighters... on the assumption that if one gets destroyed early... she will still have another one. Or is a well played Luke Skywalker too much for even two TIES? Any thoughts?
Thanks, Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
derekrledr wrote:
I have the base game and am familiar with the rules, but I have not played the game. I want to teach the game to my wife, so I am thinking she should play the Imperial side with the two TIE fighters... on the assumption that if one gets destroyed early... she will still have another one. Or is a well played Luke Skywalker too much for even two TIES? Any thoughts?
Thanks, Derek

If you are just playing the learning scenario in the rules (Night Beast + Obsidian versus Luke), the more skilled player should probably take the TIEs. There are two reasons for this.

First, flying two ships leaves you with twice as much to think about and keep track of while trying to learn the rules.

Second, the TIEs are substantially weaker than Luke if they do not coordinate. Initially, it will take more strategy to play the TIEs because they can only win by ganging up (or getting extremely lucky). One TIE is no match for Luke when acting on its own, so if Luke kills one before they have a chance to do substantial damage to him, the match is basically over. The key is to make sure that both TIEs can shoot at Luke any time you engage. Don't let him engage one-on-one. If he positions well to engage one-on-one, have that TIE take an evade action, bug out, and realign with his teammate before reengaging. Splitting up is what will kill you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I've found starting off that the X-wing is a little easier to fly since it can execute more 1 distance maneuvers, where as ties have to move faster/more drastically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Roy
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the advice... very good points... We'll try it first with my wife as Luke... as I sort of want her to win the first game... without looking like I am throwing the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve hitchcock

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derek
the first time my girlfriend and i played,we used intro rules. i let her run with luke. as was pointed out, she only had to worry about 1ship. she won, and immediatly wanted to add the full rules so she could kick my ass with ease ,,,shes total causual player and since i love the swarm, i set her up with various rebel lists for swarm practice, she wins bout 40% of the time, although she'd like it to be 100%,,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.