Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of a game called BattleCON. But there is another game in the World of Indines universe called Pixel Tactics. I purchased a copy by default of BattleCON, knowing that I would enjoy the game.

The problem I have now is, since I played it I cannot stop thinking about it. I had so much fun playing this game. There were three big things that make this game enjoyable, which were the theme, mechanics and freedom of choice.

Regarding the theme, Pixel Tactics is designed to emulate battles from console RPGs. If I was to choose some examples, they would be Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem. This theme is reinforced through both the art and mechanics. The art is pixel based and is consistent across all of the art, playmats and rules. I felt that this immediately placed me in the perfect mindset to enjoy the game.

The theme is reinforced by the mechanics. All of the cards are both leaders, heroes and orders. At the start of the game you can choose any card in your hand to be your leader. Each card has different health and abilities as the leader, which will effect the way you play for the rest of the game. Once a leader is selected, all of the cards in your deck are either heroes or orders. Heroes are placed either in the vanguard, flank or rearguard and have different abilities based on where they are placed. Or, they can be played as an order which is a powerful effect, but is a one time use before being discarded. The goal is to use your heroes and orders to reduce your opponents leader to 0 health.

The above may seem like a lot, but this is not a complex game to learn to play. But you have a wealth of choices to make, which ties into freedom of choice. Do you place a powerful Fighter in front of your leader to protect them? Or do you save them for their powerful order effect that damages an entire row? Or maybe you could put them in the rear to combine with your Trapper for a powerful ranged attack?

I played with my daughter who had no trouble grasping how to play and use the effects, the game is very common sense once you get started. We played two games with myself winning and losing a game each. I had so much fun that I am glad I have it for my collection.

One comment I would like to make is the box. While it looks fantastic, it is not very functional. I am currently looking at an alternative storage method. I would also recommend purchasing the play mat from the Lvl99Games store, I have played on the paper mat included with the game and I will be buying the above as it would greatly improve the experience.

Thankyou for taking the time to read, and thankyou to Lvl99Games for such an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
This game puts all other microgames to shame! It rivals the complexity of many of today's CCGs and at a significantly healthier cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.