Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Allegiance» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card Allocation Phase - Hand Cards Playable or Only Cards From the Draw 3? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the 3.0 (April 16, 2014) rulebook:

Rulebook wrote:
Card Allocation Phase

At the beginning of each round, players simultaneously draw three cards from the deck, look at the cards, and place one card facedown on the Temple, one card facedown on the Thieves' Guild, and one card in their hand.

There was some confusion on whether cards that were previously in your hand were allowed to be played on the Temple & Thieves' Guild. In other words, are you

A. Drawing three cards, adding them to your hand, and selecting a card from all the cards in your hand to play on the Temple and a card from your hand to play on the Thieves' Guild?

Or B. May you only choose your Temple card and your Thieves' Guild card from the 3 cards you just drew?

I personally prefer the former, as it makes your choices interesting and adds to the strategy of the game. The latter feels too restricting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmazala wrote:
From the 3.0 (April 16, 2014) rulebook:

Rulebook wrote:
Card Allocation Phase

At the beginning of each round, players simultaneously draw three cards from the deck, look at the cards, and place one card facedown on the Temple, one card facedown on the Thieves' Guild, and one card in their hand.

There was some confusion on whether cards that were previously in your hand were allowed to be played on the Temple & Thieves' Guild. In other words, are you

A. Drawing three cards, adding them to your hand, and selecting a card from all the cards in your hand to play on the Temple and a card from your hand to play on the Thieves' Guild?

Or B. May you only choose your Temple card and your Thieves' Guild card from the 3 cards you just drew?

I personally prefer the former, as it makes your choices interesting and adds to the strategy of the game. The latter feels too restricting.

It's the former. The restrictive nature of the decision is intentional. The idea is to force players into suboptimal decisions with regard to the allocation. Suboptimal in the sense of complete control of their allegiance and the influence of the Temple and Thieves' Guild, that is.

Having said that, I'm open to playtest feedback. If you and your group get a chance to test the game, please play it both ways and try to keep an open mind to both approaches. I'd love to get feedback on your preferred method in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's A? Because what you're describing in your post sounds like B.

(Sorry if my wording was confusing - "former" = A, "latter" = B)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! You're right. I meant B. The latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update - after some focused playtests with my local groups, I am now leaning towards changing the official rules for the card allocation phase to your suggestion "A" in the original post:

Draw three cards, adding them to your hand, and select one card from all the cards in your hand to play face down on the Temple and a card from your hand to play face down on the Thieves' Guild.

I will be sending out instructions to blind playtest groups to adopt this method.

I will also upload a rules update (v3.1) that will outline the two different methods and specifically ask groups to provide feedback for both.

Thanks again for the idea, Michelle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.