Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I'm working on a mini-game that uses one deck of 54 cards, 8 12-14mm d6es, 18-24 mini chips, and a rule booklet. The problem is, I don't want to tell players that they have to keep score with pencil and paper, but I'd rather not have to include a scoreboard and markers (like Carcasone)or too many extra components that would not fit into a second tuck-box. I'd like the game to fit into a twin-deck poker size tuck-box.

Has anyone seen any creative ways of keeping score using minimal components- so that other players can see opponents' scores at a glance?

Thanks for any ideas!
-Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered cards with dots that can be covered/exposed to show current point tally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
Have you considered cards with dots that can be covered/exposed to show current point tally?

Actually that does seem to be a possible approach, Or chits with point values. I'm just worried about fitting those into the box. Alas, I may have to move up to a bigger box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
You could just use a score die, depending on how many points each player can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it plays differently for different # of players (2-6), so I thought about percentile dice. (50 pts for 2 pl. - 25 points for 6 pl.) But that is six sets of percentile dice - quite expensive for just scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many points do you expect players to be able to get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do something similar to what Sushi Go! does for scoring.

1 card for the 1's value, a second for the 10's.

2 cards per player, so 12 extra cards.

Edit: the 10's card only needs to show 10, 20, 30, 40. For 0-9 pts just have its back facing up, and if the game finishes on 50pts, whoever gets past 49 first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats good! I like it! The 10's card would have to be 20+ 30+ 40+ 50+, and the other card 1-10. Players can score PAST 50 (rarely)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many times do you score per game?
If it's just a few, go with paper and pencil. Personally I would rather scrounge for paper and pencil rather than have some approach (like 2 cards that could easily slide off each other) that could easily be messed up during play.
If you score a lot per game, a score track would be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perhaps you are right Andrew. I like the score track best; I used it for the larger version of the game, and it is important to see what others' scores are. Perhaps a mini score track with 3 printed cards would work, and 6 little markers. When rolling dice over 10-15 turns, each players' score card will get jostled. Pencil and paper is easiest however (and cheapest!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Check out the "score tracker wheels" that I designed for Quest for the Open Tavern...

They are flat, fairly easy to build, and fit nicely inside a tuck box with cards...

EDIT: and the tracker wheels are very resistant to jostling!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoodleArtist wrote:
Thats good! I like it! The 10's card would have to be 20+ 30+ 40+ 50+, and the other card 1-10. Players can score PAST 50 (rarely)

A 1-10 card is confusing compared to a 0-9 card. Don't do that.

If the 10s card starts 20+, how do you show a score of say 17? Also not a good idea.

More sensible is making it double-sided 00 to 30 on one side, 40 to 70 on the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.