Chris Larkin
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twinkies... YUM!
mbmbmbmbmb
If my group and I are on a Story Quest, and we enter a tile that calls for a quest card during setup, we ignore this correct? As we are already on a quest? What if we enter a tile that is a quest card / or trap, is it then always the trap? Never a trap because we're on a quest already? Or our choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand it's optional with the chapter quest when during a story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all optional, and that's not a snarky answer. It's the real answer.

The FAQ states the the Story Quest can fulfill the Tile requirement when it calls for a quest, but it's up to the players. Optionally, the players can choose to do a Chapter Quest on top of the Story Quest for that tile. And of course, you can choose to do a Trap instead of a Quest if the tile asked for a choice between the two. For my group, if you're not doing a Chapter Quest, then I would always do a Trap, but I don't think you have to play that way per se. There is a lot of flexibility in that particular area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe Vind
Denmark
Juelsminde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's what makes game really enjoyable - you can costumize and shape the game to your own flavour, difficulty and theme. Of course, that's the same things that make people itchy, because, the game don't tell ou what to do, but what you can do. It's much like an old fashioned Rolepaying Game, where the Dungeon Master tells a story, and you make the dicessions and action.

That's why I'm gonna love this game, and spend a lot of hours playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Patterson
United States
Calimesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with Mathue, for the tiles that give a choice between a trap or a quest I consider the trap mandatory if we choose not to do a chapter quest.

On a related note, I would suggest that if you decide to use chapter quests during a story that you pick them ahead of time. Some chapter quests have specific setup requirements, like tile size, that can conflict with the story setup. Picking quests ahead of time can help avoid that problem. Also, I'd strongly advise you not to touch the slaughterfield quests during a story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Larkin
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twinkies... YUM!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification everyone.

Fade2Gray wrote:
Also, I'd strongly advise you not to touch the slaughterfield quests during a story.

You are saying that some quest cards initiate a slaughterfield mode instead of playing the tile normally? And when doing a story quest it's best to not use these as it would interfere with the story on that tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A significant portion of chapter quests are Slaughterfield quests. Pay attention to the icon on the left, because I didn't understand it for the longest time. I am not sure where that is explained, but definitely not in the "Quest" section of the rulebook.

The rules are: If the quest has a Slaughterfield icon, ignore all the other 12x12 setup rules like the lair and do slaughterfield instead for X number of waves. If you weren't on a 12x12, just save the quest and do a 12x12 next time using that quest card.

You can do them if you like them and some even make a little bit of sense if you hold your mouth just right and the planets are aligned, but we have found them to be very intrusive to a game. They take a long time, the "keep fighters alive" goals don't tell you what a fighter is or how they behave, and you can't even do wave 2 or 3 without proxying. It just kind of ruins the immersion of the rest of your session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.