PanzerBlitz» Forums » Variants

Subject: Troop 'Quality' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Kochan
msg tools
mb
Hello...

This an adaptation of a 'rule' that I, and probably everyone else on the planet, had used in miniatures games for a long time. Its an easy rule, and one that basically makes sense. Not all units in a given formation have the same experience / training as each other. There can and probably would be such 'vatiations' in most armies.

This is the basics of the rule. There are a set number of 'levels' of troop quality. This goes from a 'low' of 'conscripts' to a 'high' of 'elite' units. This is the range of the troop quality variation. The complete set of these are...

Elite, Veteran, Experienced, Seasoned, Green and Conscripts, from high to low. Now, all we have used it for is 'combat modifiers'. Specifically adding or subtracting from the die-roll either when attacking of defending. Its arbitrary and not based on a hard and fast evaluation of any given army or the troops thereof. Its just there to give you the ability to 'account' for variations in the perceived troop quality.

So, the modifiers, summed with the die-roll, by type are as follows...

Elite... -3 attacking... +3 defending.

Veteran... -2 attacking... +2 defending.

Experienced... -1 attacking... +1 defending.

Seasoned... 0 attacking... 0 defending.

Green... +1 attacking... -1 defending.

Conscript... +2 attacking... -2 defending.

Its just a way of getting some variation into the game.

Dennis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
The newer Panzerblitz from MMP accounts for that with its "efficiency rating". The efficiency rating is used primarily for recovering from disruption. Poor troops will stay broken longer before they can get back in the fight, and remaining in a disrupted state makes it more likely that they will eventually get hit by a DD result, which causes step loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's a good idea, very tidy and not much extra fiddling needed. I'll try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Kochan
msg tools
mb
Hello....

Hope you like it. It is easy and simple to use. One thing you can do too, is 'detail' the die-roll-modifiers. For example, let say you have 'green' units that have trained for defense (i.e. some Russian units) and have not had much experience of being used for offense. So, they might have a better defensive drm as opposed to their offensive drm modifier.

The numerical values do not have to be the same for both offense and defense. It could represent a lack of effective anti-armor weapons when close-assaulting tanks or fortified positions. In that case an 'offensive' modifier might be less than a defensive one. You can use it to reflect tactical doctrine differences. More or less effective or poor doctrine. Let us know if you liked the idea and if you have anything you'd add or change.

As always, I look forward to your feedback and ideas.

Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While quality levels make some sense to me, I would be wary of effects as large as those proposed. The Panzerblitz CRT just won't handle them well, in terms of realistic weapon effects. By that I mean shooting very straight with a 20mm AA gun shouldn't destroy Tiger tanks.

+1 for green troops and -1 for elite troops make sense to me.

I can also see forcing greens to "roll for rally" from a D result instead of it being automatic. You could have regulars "roll for rally" if they got hit with a DD, but not when hit with a D, if you want to take that idea further. I would still make it relatively easy - maybe, greens recover from a D on a 1-4 but stay D on a 5-6. Regulars recover from a DD on a 1-4 and lapse to D on a 5-6 (auto recover the following turn if not hit again), greens recover from a DD only on a 1-2. That makes it considerably easier to suppress greens for a long time, and to kill them the next turn with a DD result while they are still D'ed. Elite auto recover from either.

Seems like plenty to me. That is how I would implement this reasonable idea, FWIW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonC wrote:
The Panzerblitz CRT just won't handle them well

http://www.fclarke.com/2014/05/company-chits-for-panzerblitz...

"For normal Panzerblitz / Panzer Leader / AIW direct or indirect fire attacks we will give you the chance to shoot twice:

For a free second shot:
Veteran_Seasoned_Green_Raw
__4-6_____5-6____6____-

For example, a Seasoned unit rolls a 5 when attacking an enemy. The attacker is allowed a second shot. There is no third shot."

A free second shot on a 6 is a little more fine grained.

Also, mini-dice as step and quality markers:
http://www.fclarke.com/2014/05/company-dice-for-panzerblitz-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Kochan
msg tools
mb
Hello...

Yes, this is an old form of trying to overcome some basic shortages in either board games or miniatures games. It should be useful, if applied in a way that is designed to achieve certain results. The CRT should be able to handle it. The real question is, will the players be able to handle it? Any combination of single drm's or combination drm's can be limited in scope to account for a range of 'normal results'. In existing scenarios, or ones you design, you might want to limit the range of the quality level to two or three 'steps', four steps would be 'pushing it'.

For example in the basic range of the troop quality, it goes from the best (elite) to the worst (conscript). But, I think you'll find that if you don't design scenarios that have this much differential then it won't be a problem. But, its there if you 'need' it. For the most part, the extremes of the range will not be in most of the scenarios you will encounter and / or design. And so, the drm's will also be limited as will the effects of those drm's.

You certainly can use this basic relationship / modifier for such things as 'recovery'. A very good idea indeed. As it keeps things 'relative' to one another and makes the outcome more consistent with the overall abilities of any given unit. The effect of having say, more experienced gunners shooting at tanks, might sometimes be hard to say in terms of getting results in the game. Just for the fun of it, in the Navy our Gunners Mates had a saying... 'Its not the size of the gun, but the gunner that makes the difference'.

So, if the experienced gunners get more hits, but the effect on the target doesn't reflect that fact, then the relationship of the weapons types and the target types are the source of the problem. One I'm sure that can easily be addressed by the people that frequent this web-site. Anyway, its a subjective concept. One that is not based in hard-data. Just something to easily add some 'details' to the game. We used to call this as adding 'chrome'. Hope you have fun experimenting with this very flexible concept. Careful, it can be addictive.

As always, I look forward to your feedback and ideas.

Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.