Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

Now I'd heard a lot about Power Grid and finally decided to pick it up and play it with my small core group (there are three of us in total). We played through our first game tonight and came up with some issues and I wanted to ask about it...

As of now, the only rule I know we had incorrect was that we didn't redo the player order after the initial random auction. After we reached step 2, we found that one player (who was able to build in a city every round) stayed 1 city ahead, and was able to power them all. We also found that we exhausted the power plant deck and market...and also all had so much money that we depleted the bank.

What are some thoughts of what we may've done wrong? Or is this a normal occurrence? We all enjoyed it...until about city number 8.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Stevens
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Staying one city ahead is a bit unusual, but could happen. Typically the fact that they get the worst of the resource market will slow them down.

Anyway, runing out of power plants and espescially money is unusual, defenitely read the rulebook over agian to make sure you haven't made any mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jospanther wrote:
Hey everyone!

Now I'd heard a lot about Power Grid and finally decided to pick it up and play it with my small core group (there are three of us in total). We played through our first game tonight and came up with some issues and I wanted to ask about it...

As of now, the only rule I know we had incorrect was that we didn't redo the player order after the initial random auction. After we reached step 2, we found that one player (who was able to build in a city every round) stayed 1 city ahead, and was able to power them all. We also found that we exhausted the power plant deck and market...and also all had so much money that we depleted the bank.

What are some thoughts of what we may've done wrong? Or is this a normal occurrence? We all enjoyed it...until about city number 8.

Thanks!

A city every round? Way too much money?

Sounds like you didn't notice that you can build as many cities as you want each round, as long as you have the cash for it and there are open spots in the cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely sounds like you need a reread of the rulebook. However, I think that the rule you already know you got wrong could potentially have a lot of ramifications on how your game went, so that may have created some of your issues. The changing player order has a big role in keeping the game balanced.

Running out of power plants seems a bit odd. Did you note that you can only have a maximum of 3 (? - or 4? Can't remember what it is in a 3-player game) power plants per person?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bergquist
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with other comments -- something seems rather wrong. Re-check the rules. Be sure you follow the correct turn order for each step -- some phases the first player goes first, some the first player goes last -- and don't forget to reset the turn order each round. No more than three power plants? Paying full price for resources? Paying connection price plus the price for occupying a city? Resupplying only the correct number of resources? Lots of things to double-check. I hope you figure it out, because it's a sweet, competitive, and kind of cut-throat game -- I love it! Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:

Sounds like you didn't notice that you can build as many cities as you want each round, as long as you have the cash for it and there are open spots in the cities.

Wait...you can?

Yeah, if that's accurate you're sure right. I just re-read the rules and it was still a bit unclear to me, but from one of the examples it does look like you're able to do that.

...guess we found my error...

Yay, learning games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Running out of money and power plants is definitely strange and suspicious.

Besides rereading the rules, I recommend also reading Power Grid FAQ as well, which covers many common beginner's errors and confusions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jospanther wrote:
dkeisen wrote:

Wait...you can?

Yeah, if that's accurate you're sure right. I just re-read the rules and it was still a bit unclear to me, but from one of the examples it does look like you're able to do that.

Yay, learning games?

That the bank ran out of money was just a consequence of that error, since you practically had no opportunity to spend your money, when you built only one city per round and all power plants were already built (or trashed).

An usual Power Grid game should last about 8 to 9 rounds. So if you bought only one city per round and had fun till city number 8, I think you will have lots of fun when sticking to the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jospanther wrote:
dkeisen wrote:

Wait...you can?

Yay, learning games?

There have been a number of versions of the Power Grid rules published over the years, but I believe this is covered in all of them. This quote is from the version currently online as RGGs site. It is from the top of page 5. Bolding is mine.

Quote:
All subsequent cities a player adds to his network must connect to at least one city already in his network (marked with one of his houses). The player needs only to pay the connecting cost shown on the map (the paths between the new city and one of the cities already in his network) and the value of the lowest empty city space. When connecting to a new city, the player chooses the cheapest connection berween the new andone of his own cities and pays the total costs to the bank. A player may connect to any number of new cities in a round, as long as he can pay the building and connecting costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you. I was wondering why the game was dragging so much and now it all makes sense.

Guess we'll know for next time! All part of the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoliy Yakimets
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Had absolutely the same problem during our game.
It WAS NOT in the rules with the game.
I have opened the rules on the boardheek website snd it says "any city" everywhere, no plurals. On RGG it is correct.

Seriously how can you screw up 5 page rules lol

Because of that we skipped the game, thinking it is dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for verifying I'm not crazy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ablomis wrote:
Had absolutely the same problem during our game.
It WAS NOT in the rules with the game.
I have opened the rules on the boardheek website snd it says "any city" everywhere, no plurals. On RGG it is correct.

Unless the Ukrainian edition is radically different from the English edition, it is there, look at the top of page five, the last line of the first paragraph. My Dutch edition has nearly the same line.

Quote:
Seriously how can you screw up 5 page rules lol

Because of that we skipped the game, thinking it is dumb.

The rules of this game are widely known to be badly written. The game is widely known to be very good. I'll leave it at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Romero
United States
Jacksonville
FL -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love this game, it's a horrible game to try to learn by yourself. The rules are unclear and you have to pay attention to every single line, as almost every line of the rules cannot be glossed over but must be understood and applied. In our group we divided the roles so that each person only had to be responsible for one aspect of the game, that really helped us out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As much as I love this game, it's a horrible game to try to learn by yourself

I'll second that. Learn PG from a PG lover. If you try to fumble about with it yourself, you're going to make a lot of mistakes. The game is very tight and well-constructed, but missing a rule can kill that quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.