Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him."

I was once a consistent poster on RSP, debating, questioning, and enjoying myself. I do not think much about religion, but sex and politics have always been high on my list of concerns. So it is no surprise I wandered here. As I write, I recently failed to make a move on a woman I cared about. So I found myself reading about Elizabeth Warren, and as attracted as I am to leftist politics, it is no substitute for sex. So I decided, if you fail in one regard, carry through in another. So I come here a beggar. And to satisfy the drugs part of the post? I am drunk and high and find they compliment each other. They have induced me, in my desperation, on this mad quest

Why was I away from RSP? I was away chasing a big bold dream of mine: to be a published author in spite of my failure as a PhD student. My Masters Thesis (and would be dissertation) was what kept me afloat in a sea of depression. Having failed to get my PhD, having lost faith in the love I had for a woman (and what faith is worse to lose? Perhaps faith in God?), I fell into suicidal dreams and night terrors. I survived as I have often survived in times of distress. I turned to the American Civil War. The sad conflict that speaks to the American soul.

For in that terror we found a "new birth of freedom" and so I too hope for the same for when life turns sour and we are faced with pains that cut so deep your soul shatters in two...it is then we look and dream for a better world. I know my soul then was broken and trying to bring myself back together has been the story of these many years. The attempt to find a meaning in all the madness. One part has been Petersburg: Valor and Slaughter. Now it stands poised to be published. Potomac Books, a subsidiary of the University of Nebraska, has decided to give it the treatment it deserves. Yet, I must pay for my own maps and index. To create the maps I have enlisted the aid of Hal Jespersen, an acclaimed map maker for Civil War books. Yet I have not the funds.

I come here then as a beggar. I dream only of this book being published and recognized. I implore you to aid me. This post is a mix of drugs and desperation, hence the bizarre honestly. I may regret this later but I care not. I wonder, if on death's door, will I wonder if I had not just thrown it all out there as I pushed to publish this book? So I charge. So I plea not with a whimper but with my soul laid bare..."The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here."

Please help me!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1209858427/petersburg-v...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
You have money to spend on drugs though?
There is nothing as good as kicking a man inf the face when he is down. Even better you can do that for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Done and done.

Looking forward to geeking out over some maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gittes wrote:
and as attracted as I am to leftist politics, it is no substitute for sex.

After the first paragraph, was relieved to learn that it's not a book of your Elizabeth Warren fantasies. ("Because I don't need that showing up on my credit card.") I've liked the wargaming stuff you've posted on BGG in the past, & will back your book later this week. (And, if the Kickstarter doesn't get funded, perhaps you could consider kidnapping Mr. Jesperson? You'll just need to inspect the final maps for coded pleas for rescue.)

Koldfoot wrote:

Miss Manners frowns on pressing for the details of exactly how payment was rendered.

(Besides, he didn't say they were good drugs; even writers can afford a paper bag of used paint fumes.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't blame Koldie.

He's probably been reading the newest Chick tract (published May 1st):

"Let God deliver you from alcohol before it hurts you. An anti-liquor salvation message."

Sean even shares the same family name. Coincidence? I think not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I should not have responded to his initial comment.

Are you confusing me with HavocIsHere? Maybe it's you who's having issues.

Koldfoot wrote:
Others assume you are a gutter drunk, I give you the benefit of a doubt. Ted Kennedy or Simon's vision of you?

Right. I'm the one who assumed that. You, however, totally didn't liken Sean to a drug-addled beggar with this comment:

Koldfoot wrote:
My money is best spent on drugs. YOUR money, however, is best spent on my project.

Yeah. Ya' think he's down for a reason?

Good luck with the begging, though. It'll probably work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stalin shot Kirov right in the hallway
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
Don't blame Koldie.

He's probably been reading the newest Chick tract (published May 1st):

"Let God deliver you from alcohol before it hurts you. An anti-liquor salvation message."

Sean even shares the same family name. Coincidence? I think not.

I question that comic's verisimilitude: there's no way Byron got hammered on $5 worth of booze at a bar

The Hobo's Choice™
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All this assumes he is taking drugs he had paid for, rather then mooched of someone.

I have taken drugs, and as I said at the time to those who encouraged me "The day I pay for them is the day I know to stop taking them".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you unfamiliar with how awesome gittes is, please go here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. Because

a) You have a Blackadder avatar
b) I've got more than I've pledged worth of information from your geeklists
and
c) I am pledged to fight puritanism wherever I find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
H.L. Mencken wrote:
“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
There is a forum for kickstarter this needs to go in there.

Point the way and I will post there. I mostly came here in desperation and because I miss the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
There is a forum for kickstarter this needs to go in there.

Point the way and I will post there. I mostly came here in desperation and because I miss the place.
In the same way a dog fondly remembers a long forgotten spew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

No, it was for free. The alcohol was also free. I won it in a wine selling competition. I am sorry this thread turned ugly, including something about me being a drug-adled beggar who makes poor monetary choices. I will not go on though. As a wiser man once wrote...

"I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;

I pay back my student loans in large clumps and work full time to do it. I do drink a lot (drugs rarely) because a man needs his vices and I am otherwise very responsible. I would tarry here but I must go. I volunteer at the Historic New Orleans Collection (a wonderful museum you should all visit) and then work until 11pm. I will then return and see how much ground I have gained. Once it hits 70% funding I think momentum will resume. This thread has already been a success in that regard.

I thank everyone here for their kinds words, support, and humor. I do miss RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
gittes wrote:
I am sorry this thread turned ugly, including something about me being a drug-adled beggar who makes poor monetary choices. I will not go on though.

Sean, I'm sorry for adding an aggressive tone to this thread.

Only having been in the same situation as you, I took Koldie's comments a bit personal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
gittes wrote:
I am sorry this thread turned ugly, including something about me being a drug-adled beggar who makes poor monetary choices. I will not go on though.

Only having been in the same situation as you, I took Koldie's comments a bit personal.
Someone was meant to, that was the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't contribute funds and frankly don't think I would if I could (no offense) but your presence in RSP is missed by me at least, Sean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. I won't even ask for a Geek List where you extol the virtues of the backers that sprung for the signed copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So I found myself reading about Elizabeth Warren, and as attracted as...

Dreaming of Harvard Law School's "first woman of color"?

"You didn't write that!" she scoffs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_didn%27t_build_that

Whoa, that is a desperate cry for help.

I may have to contribute $10 to Kickstarter just to add a free-market and property rights name (of some sort) listed in the credits.

Salmon P. Chase or bust?

All kidding aside, best of luck with the project. (I guess good historical geeklists just don't pay what they used to...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stalin shot Kirov right in the hallway
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
gittes wrote:
I do drink a lot. . . I do miss RSP.

You know, there's a place you can go... *cue Cheers theme*

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/464482/what-are-you-drinking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
gittes wrote:

No worries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
I'm in. I won't even ask for a Geek List where you extol the virtues of the backers that sprung for the signed copy!

Thanks. Stay tuned as I work on a new historical geeklist. Yes, I finally found the inspiration to make another one a year and half after the last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
I may have to contribute $10 to Kickstarter just to add a free-market and property rights name (of some sort) listed in the credits.

Salmon P. Chase or bust?

I think Mr. Chase would raise a glass and say "on to Richmond!"

Quote:
All kidding aside, best of luck with the project. (I guess good historical geeklists just don't pay what they used to...)

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I can't contribute funds and frankly don't think I would if I could (no offense) but your presence in RSP is missed by me at least, Sean.

Thank you for your honesty Moshe although it be good to have the aid of one of RSP's most level headed posters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
gittes wrote:
I do drink a lot. . . I do miss RSP.

You know, there's a place you can go... *cue Cheers theme*

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/464482/what-are-you-drinking...

Almost did last night...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.