Subject: What rules to use for a first play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Galen Deal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I just got a copy of this game and I plan to play a 2-player game with my roommate tomorrow. Neither of us have played this game before, so I'm trying to figure out exactly which rules to use/not use. I've read in a few places that, when you're first starting out, it's good to just play a basic game with nothing added in. This is what I would be inclined to do - just the rules as written in the included rulebook - but I've also read elsewhere about a couple of rules changes that seem to be widely considered positive changes - namely increasing the income action to 2 WT from 1 and busting Luna and Mars in 2-player games.

What do people think about those two rules (or any others that I haven't mentioned)? Are those ones worth straying from the basic rules as written? I also see that the flyby rules are only supposed to be used in colonization, but would they be suitable for the base game? This was the one other rule I was considering adding as, since both my roommate and I have played quite a lot of Kerbal Space Program and are fairly intuitively familiar with boosts from flybys, I think it would make more sense to have them than to exclude them (assuming that they are not in the basic game for reasons of complexity rather than balance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Flyby & Moon Boost rules are very simple, and marked on the map, so you don't forget them. Very easy to add.

Busting the Moon & Mars will force players to extend their ambitions and prevent the situation where the first rocket in flight easily dominates the game. However, it's more a matter of style of play and player ambition - if you're unlikely to grab the closest sites just to win the game, it will have little effect.

Increasing income will speed the game up, no doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
I suggest starting with working spaceships and skipping the opening auctioning.

The auctions at the outset slowed our first game horrifically. It was too much to process the first time around. Even an open draft from all available cards would have been better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
taekwondeal wrote:
I just got a copy of this game and I plan to play a 2-player game with my roommate tomorrow. Neither of us have played this game before, so I'm trying to figure out exactly which rules to use/not use. I've read in a few places that, when you're first starting out, it's good to just play a basic game with nothing added in. This is what I would be inclined to do - just the rules as written in the included rulebook - but I've also read elsewhere about a couple of rules changes that seem to be widely considered positive changes - namely increasing the income action to 2 WT from 1 and busting Luna and Mars in 2-player games.

What do people think about those two rules (or any others that I haven't mentioned)? Are those ones worth straying from the basic rules as written? I also see that the flyby rules are only supposed to be used in colonization, but would they be suitable for the base game? This was the one other rule I was considering adding as, since both my roommate and I have played quite a lot of Kerbal Space Program and are fairly intuitively familiar with boosts from flybys, I think it would make more sense to have them than to exclude them (assuming that they are not in the basic game for reasons of complexity rather than balance).

I agree with Wulf, & I recommend one of two options:
1. Use the Basic rules as written. If you wish, you may add fly-bys or other advanced rules from the rulebook.
2. Use the Alive and Complete Basic Rules. These rules have been re-formatted so they are easier for the beginner to understand. Also the A + C rules increase the income from 1 WT (water tank) to 2 WT, which makes for faster development & also integrates better to the Colonization Game, should you ever wish to play that version. I have sent you an invitation to the A + C GoogleDocs for the Basic and Colonization Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest watching the Rahdo runs through video as well before you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Deal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for the responses! It makes me very happy to see the designer taking such an active role in the community and answering questions like this directly.

As for busting Luna and Mars, the main reason I'm worried about doing it is because my roommate that I will be playing with is very interested in human colonization of Mars (he follows SpaceX very closely and Robert Zubrin's The Case for Mars is one of his favorite books) so I want to avoid preventing him from being able to do anything on Mars unless it's really necessary. If it's just an issue of game balance making victory too easy for whoever gets there first, I may just allow it and say going into the game that I'm not going to worry overmuch about scoring lots of points and doing really well, instead focusing on just understanding the systems and having fun flying rockets around, and I'll suggest that he do the same.

Blazing Apostle: I did watch Rahdo's video. As always, it was very informative, and I think gave me a huge headstart in understanding how the game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Google Docs version of A+C more publically available, for the Word-challenged among us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
2. Use the Alive and Complete Basic Rules. These rules have been re-formatted so they are easier for the beginner to understand. Also the A + C rules increase the income from 1 WT (water tank) to 2 WT, which makes for faster development & also integrates better to the Colonization Game, should you ever wish to play that version. I have sent you an invitation to the A + C GoogleDocs for the Basic and Colonization Games.

Additionally, the A&C Basic rules increase the Free Market Action to 4 WT, and change the ET production rules quite a bit - you no longer choose a factory product when you build a factory and there is no more retooling. Instead, when you take an ET Production op, you choose any card in your hand with the appropriate spectral type and produce it on its black side at the chosen site. IMHO, these are both very positive rules changes as well as the 2 WT per income op.

I think there is a minor change to the factory-assisted takeoff and landing rules as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
Is the Google Docs version of A+C more publically available, for the Word-challenged among us?

Send an email to phileklund@gmail.com to get invited to the A + C googledocs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:

You can read it using Libre Office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.