Subject: SPI games NOT designed in house.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: simulations_publications_inc [+] [View All]
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Can anyone think of any games published by SPI in it's heyday that were designed by persons from outside the company?..

I can think of two offhand..

Battle for Stalingrad

Winter War

I've always been under the impression that there were quite a lot but I can't really think of any..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilson's Creek: The West's First Fight, August 10, 1861 was designed by a local Missouri gamer.

You mean something like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I seem to remember advertisments in S&T asking for games to be submitted

The reason I ask is I was in a discussion elsewhere regarding SPI games and the subject of games published by SPI but not designed by any of their own people came up up..I foolishly used the word 'lot's' and then to my embarrassment couldn't think of any when challenged..as I said above I've always been under the impression that it was something SPI did a fair bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they did that even less often than AH published an in-house design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
The classic Battles for the Ardennes was designed by Danny Parker and he lived in Miami.

Empires of the Middle Ages might also be on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
John Prados did Year of the Rat: Vietnam, 1972, The Battle for Cassino: Assaulting the Gustav Line, 1944 and Spies!. Danny Parker's Battles for the Ardennes. Most of the S&T games on the GBACW system were by outside designers. I wouldn't call it "a lot" since you've really got to search to get beyond Dunnnigan, Young, and the latter-day trio of Berg, Butterfield, and Balkoski.

Yes 'lot's' was a bit of a too-casual exaggeration which I later regretted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
The classic Battles for the Ardennes was designed by Danny Parker and he lived in Miami.

Empires of the Middle Ages might also be on the list.

The one I was going to post! Great game to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Yes. I seem to remember advertisments in S&T asking for games to be submitted

The reason I ask is I was in a discussion elsewhere regarding SPI games and the subject of games published by SPI but not designed by any of their own people came up up..I foolishly used the word 'lot's' and then to my embarrassment couldn't think of any when challenged..as I said above I've always been under the impression that it was something SPI did a fair bit

My recollection is the opposite. There was an attitude of skepticism toward independent designs. When Danny Parker came in with BftA it was a really big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess one way to find out would be to check out Greg Costikyan's very nice SPI Compendium (http://www.costik.com/spicom/, website seems to be down so archived version is at http://web.archive.org/web/20011021060736/http://www.crossover.com/costik/spicom/) and look up people who put out only one games with the company and did no development, and use that as a definition for "outsider".

One unusual example that comes to mind is A Mighty Fortress by Rudolph Heinze.

So, lessee who designed only one, according to the compendium:

J. Matisse Enzer: Alma
Daryl Esakof: Ragnarok
James Goff: Winter War
Joseph Goldcamp: CA
John Hill: Battle for Stalingrad
John Kramer: Grunt
Virginia Mulholland: Bundeswehr
Milton Rosenberg: Korsun
Richard Wright: Wilson's Creek

Yeah, not that many.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
A Mighty Fortress was just mailed to them without any previous contact. Only game that they ever published that this happened with, if my old memory is worth anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why it was unusual!
You can be sure they got loads and loads of unsolicited designs, from fully worked out games to something scribbled down during Study Hall....

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I don't think Philip Kosnett was considered in-house. He did at least two games for SPI (War in the Ice was one of them.)

I think "lots" is a good term to use here. I use my fingers to count, so anything that goes over ten is "lots."

EDIT: I can count up to eleven if I'm naked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
I don't think Philip Kosnett was considered in-house. He did at least two games for SPI (War in the Ice was one of them.)

I think "lots" is a good term to use here. I use my fingers to count, so anything that goes over ten is "lots."

...and there's a good reason to let you call anything over ten 'lots'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
ltmurnau wrote:
I guess one way to find out would be to check out Greg Costikyan's very nice SPI Compendium (http://www.costik.com/spicom/, website seems to be down so archived version is at http://web.archive.org/web/20011021060736/http://www.crossover.com/costik/spicom/) and look up people who put out only one games with the company and did no development, and use that as a definition for "outsider".

That will miss any who submitted a game, and then ended up asked to
join the staff though. It would also (if applied to AH) miss someone
like Francis Tresham, who was clearly not an in-house designer,
but provided a couple of key designs to AH. I don't know of any such
folk at SPI, but it's possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell King
United Kingdom
Hebden Bridge
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
LeeDambis wrote:
John Prados did Year of the Rat: Vietnam, 1972, The Battle for Cassino: Assaulting the Gustav Line, 1944 and Spies!. Danny Parker's Battles for the Ardennes. Most of the S&T games on the GBACW system were by outside designers. I wouldn't call it "a lot" since you've really got to search to get beyond Dunnnigan, Young, and the latter-day trio of Berg, Butterfield, and Balkoski.

Everyone has their personal favourites don't they? For me, all three of those Prados games were fab - real adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:

He was when I visited, so was Enzer. How long they worked for SPI I don't know but they were not outsiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Charles Vasey wrote:
Kluvon wrote:

He was when I visited, so was Enzer. How long they worked for SPI I don't know but they were not outsiders.

Good to know. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
SPI got a minimum of several unsolicited designs a week during its heyday. I contributed mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:
Kluvon wrote:

My first job at SPI was to replace Kosnett on the front desk when he went back to High School. He did his two designs while in High School. Enzer was a Friday Night play tester who got a chance from Hessel to do a quad game. I remember his mother, very nice lady.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:

Perhaps you meant quite a 'few'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rmiller1093 wrote:
SPI got a minimum of several unsolicited designs a week during its heyday. I contributed mine.:)

What was yours Roger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:

Perhaps you meant quite a 'few'?

It's rapidly becoming 'some'..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Brian I submitted my Buena Vista game. Tried to also sell it to other companies. Only GDW showed any interest and the changes they wanted seemed impossible to me so I self published it many years later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.