Subject: Wild card/Estate Agent -4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just bought the latest edition, after passing initially, then some time later playing my friend's copy. Great game! Anyway, just want to be absolutely clear on a couple things:

So, the Wild Cards go on the offer board, but no other companions are ever put on the offer board, correct? So, the only way to get non-wild card companion is to draw them at planning? Also, only one person may claim a wild card before round 4, then two may claim a wild card (provided two haven't already claimed cards there)?

Finally, there is an Estate Agent -4, but it isn't in the iconography summary. I assume this isn't a mis print, but that you may sell a non-farm property for $4 cheaper, correct?

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Hi all,

Just bought the latest edition, after passing initially, then some time later playing my friend's copy. Great game! Anyway, just want to be absolutely clear on a couple things:

So, the Wild Cards go on the offer board, but no other companions are ever put on the offer board, correct?

Yep, this is correct and the wilds return to the board at the start of each round, so who ever gets one has to use it or lose it.

bigloo33 wrote:
So, the only way to get non-wild card companion is to draw them at planning? Also, only one person may claim a wild card before round 4, then two may claim a wild card (provided two haven't already claimed cards there)?

This is also correct. see my comment above about returning wilds each round.

bigloo33 wrote:
Finally, there is an Estate Agent -4, but it isn't in the iconography summary. I assume this isn't a mis print, but that you may sell a non-farm property for $4 cheaper, correct?

Many thanks!

Yup, this is a good agent, as he optionally makes all property £4 cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wild card
Non-wild companions are not put on the offering board because that would be too weak and too 'situational'. For this reason, the designer has decided to put wild cards instead of specific companions on the offering board. This makes for more interesting play: the companion is taken more often, and there is more competition for it.

The rule that you have to surrender an unused wild card is probably just for the sake of component efficiency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:

Strictly speaking, you may buy or sell a house for $4 cheaper. Though of course, normally one won't use the ability when buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:

Strictly speaking, you may buy or sell a house for $4 cheaper. Though of course, normally one won't use the ability when buying.

For sure? It seems, that the "transaction-icon" (hand holding card) is used inconsistently in the game. For example, in the sacked expansion, there is a card called "Bargain", which uses this symbol, but in the glossary, the usage of this card is explicitly restricted to selling. So, why not perhaps for the -4 agent, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Robbins
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermjard wrote:
Alan Kwan wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:

For sure? It seems, that the "transaction-icon" (hand holding card) is used inconsistently in the game. For example, in the sacked expansion, there is a card called "Bargain", which uses this symbol, but in the glossary, the usage of this card is explicitly restricted to selling. So, why not perhaps for the -4 agent, too?

If I remember correctly bargain is a white card and the estate agents are brown cards. The estate agents effect is ongoing where as the bargain is a one time effect, so they are somewhat different in that context.

More generally there are lots of cards with that symbol and it always means buy/sell so if anything I'd say that bargain should be buy/sell as well. I'm not sure it's a big deal though because it doesn't come out until the final 3 rounds anyway. If someone wanted to use it as a buy I'd probably let them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.