Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wilson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rarities aside. What do you think are the 5 overall most powerful cards in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
best action - gearing up

003 beast - he is literally a beast. just lol. so broken.
019 storm - she is great. i think better than the other storms since she is cheap and is targeted when fielded. like i was playing against a venom that makes your dudes -2/-2 so she will insta die but you still get the effect
043 gambit - lol, just lol. prolly best card of the set.
046 hawkeye - very sweet, most of the time you get rid of a defender and deal 4 dmg so yea, good stuff, and only for 4 cost.
108 ghost rider - cheap and lets you get stuff out of your used pile. win in my book.

and wolverin 126 or 132 for a finisher. i dont have 132 so i cant tell you if it is better but at 5 cost it might not be

honorable mention:
039 deadpool - i just love deadpool
056 punisher - its okay if you want to get in there on some turns and there is a fatty u need to get rid of
100 black widow - pretty good
111 loki - should have 1 or 2 for dealing with broken cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
one of the things I love about this game is that there are so many good cards! my picks would be;

Black widow "tsarina" - 129
green goblin "gobby" - 130
Beast "mutate "#666" - 3
Storm "goddess of the plains" - 20
cyclops "if looks could kill" - 69

I would also say my honorable mentions would be

Punisher McRook
hawkeye br'er hawkeye
wolverine Canucklehead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
JesseOlivier wrote:
one of the things I love about this game is that there are so many good cards! my picks would be;

Black widow "tsarina" - 129
green goblin "gobby" - 130
Beast "mutate "#666" - 3
Storm "goddess of the plains" - 20
cyclops "if looks could kill" - 69

I would also say my honorable mentions would be

Punisher McRook
hawkeye br'er hawkeye
wolverine Canucklehead

i still think the 019 storm is better. the difference between and 3 and 4 is pretty big and she needs to attack as well. and tsarina and gobby are not good cards per se, they are just an obvious combo that can be easily shut down by loki, prof x and venom just off the top of my head

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor Xavier -Charles Francis Xanvier
Loki - Gem Keeper
Green Goblin - Gobby
Black Widow - Tsarina
Storm

The above 5 have been great. I think Beast is highly overrated. He was good when the game came out, but a lot of people aren't using him anymore in our circle. Myself included.

Honorable Mention
Human Torch - Johnny Storm
Hawkeye -Longbow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Wyse
msg tools

Cyclops - If Looks Could Kill
Loki - Gem Keeper
Beast - Mutate 666
Green Goblin - Gobby
Wolverine - Canucklehead

I would write up why I think each is good, but I already did in my thread in the strategy forums, so if you are curious about these cards (and more), head over and check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of cards look really powerful, especially the villains, but Hawkeye 046 will definitely be on my starting team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not sure why people feel like Beast Mutate #666 is so broken?

Just make sure to have a character that KO's him without Beast blocking, forces him to attack, or forces a reroll.

Greatly disrupts his effectiveness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchellcmiller wrote:
I'm not sure why people feel like Beast Mutate #666 is so broken?

He is not broken, no card has proven itself broken yet.

mitchellcmiller wrote:
Just make sure to have a character that KO's him without Beast blocking, forces him to attack, or forces a reroll.

Greatly disrupts his effectiveness.

That applies to pretty much every character in the game, not just Beast.

Beast is good because he is a strong early defender whose ability can help power your teams engine.

Edit: Two Quick questions. How many 2 cost characters do you want on your team? How many 2 cost characters are better than Beast - Mutate 666?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:
He is not broken, no card has proven itself broken yet.

My Tsarina card would like to disagree.

Look how broken the bottom of the card is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
not many 2 cost creatures do any of those things... and by not many i mean none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:
Edit: Two Quick questions. How many 2 cost characters do you want on your team? How many 2 cost characters are better than Beast - Mutate 666?

Two quick answers:

1)At least one, maybe 2 depending on what type of team you are wanting to field.

2) It depends what kind of team you are building and what type of energy your higher cost characters are going to need. If your higher cost characters are wit characters then Beast will be a great choice, but if you're focusing on bolts or shields or Avengers then there are other characters that I think will perform admirably.

Personally, I like Angel - Soaring for some quick attacks and action economy, Ghost Rider - Johnny Blaze for a nice die with higher than usual stats in the early game or even Nick Fury when I'm making my Avengers team. My sister uses Black Widow - Killer Instinct to great effect! It's all about doing what you want really.

As to the topic on hand, picking top 5 overall is a tough one. I do think there is a decent balance in this game; there are so many great cards. Without giving it too much though (i.e. off the top of my head without looking at the cards) I would say the top 5 are:

- Punisher - McRook (very effective)
- Storm - (any version)
- Beast - (I prefer Genetic Expert but a case can be made for any of them)
- Black Widow - Tsarina or Killer Instinct
- Mr. Fantastic - (Common or SR. Both are great blockers with an extremely useful global when used correctly)

Now that would be different than my favorite 5, which again off the top of my head would be

- Nightcrawler - Abandoned
- Deadpool - Jack
- Colossus - Russian Bear
- Hawkeye - Robin Hood
- Wolverine - Canucklehead

Honorable mentions to Professor X - Charles Francis Xavier, Mystique - Unknown, Cyclops - If Looks Could Kill and Iron Man - Philanthropist

Edit: Funny side note, I don't even have Deadpool - Jack. I've just seen him used against me to great effect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marobaro wrote:
best action - gearing up

Sorry but I think it's silly when people say this about beast. Just means you haven't learned how to deal with him yet. I love when opponents bring beast at me.

Storm+punisher+global forced attack ability = bye bye weak beasts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:
- Mr. Fantastic - (Common or SR. Both are great blockers with an extremely useful global when used correctly)

Agree completely, however the SR Mr. Fantastic-Elastic doesn't have a global.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
trilamb wrote:
marobaro wrote:
best action - gearing up

Sorry but I think it's silly when people say this about beast. Just means you haven't learned how to deal with him yet. I love when opponents bring beast at me.

hmm, yes, pro magic player... played for 10 years and 4 of those I played at least 10 hours a day. So that is how long it is

anyhow storm is 4 cost, and it is still 50/50 whether I actually lose my ability. also u will have 1 storm to my 2 beasts for the same price. So I have double the chance to pull the beasts than you your storm. As well as I will have a chance to get 4 energy out of them and you won't. So chance wise I am better if you play storm.

Punisher - same thing with punisher. 4 cost, with higher field cost. and you knock him out so I get to reroll him next turn. and again if I have 2 I will be begging you to attack me.

mr fantastic global - that would be the most legit one but still 1 energy (of a specific kind) to force me to attack and then you have to actually block or take 2-3 dmg is pure value,

so when you look at it from cost effectiveness beast is not game breaking but he is just a very good dice you have to deal with or he will eventually destroy you. and there just are no cost effective ways to do that. you must understand that if you have to expend more dice and energy to deal with my dice then i am winning the fight. basically i cannot see a situation where the 3 "counters" you mention will be actually more effective than beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhoratio wrote:
OmegaDolphin wrote:

Agree completely, however the SR Mr. Fantastic-Elastic doesn't have a global.

My apologies, thanks for catching that. My sister pulled him, not me. I got the common and Rare versions, of which I prefer the common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marobaro wrote:
trilamb wrote:
marobaro wrote:
best action - gearing up

hmm, yes, pro magic player... played for 10 years and 4 of those I played at least 10 hours a day. So that is how long it is

anyhow storm is 4 cost, and it is still 50/50 whether I actually lose my ability. also u will have 1 storm to my 2 beasts for the same price. So I have double the chance to pull the beasts than you your storm. As well as I will have a chance to get 4 energy out of them and you won't. So chance wise I am better if you play storm.

Punisher - same thing with punisher. 4 cost, with higher field cost. and you knock him out so I get to reroll him next turn. and again if I have 2 I will be begging you to attack me.

mr fantastic global - that would be the most legit one but still 1 energy (of a specific kind) to force me to attack and then you have to actually block or take 2-3 dmg is pure value,

so when you look at it from cost effectiveness beast is not game breaking but he is just a very good dice you have to deal with or he will eventually destroy you. and there just are no cost effective ways to do that. you must understand that if you have to expend more dice and energy to deal with my dice then i am winning the fight. basically i cannot see a situation where the 3 "counters" you mention will be actually more effective than beast.

Never said it wasn't a good card, it's definitely in the top 5 best cards, just said it's silly to call it broken when there are many ways to deal with it. As a professional magic the gathering player I'm sure you understand what the word broken means. And Beast is not broken.

I played 4 games tonight and bought 4 beasts on first two turns and lost 3 times with this strategy. Once against a spider-man strategy where spidery uses fist and forces all my beasts/everything to block him while he hits me for 16 with double powered silver surfer.

Another time with storm strategy that got lucky and rerolled my beasts more than fifty percent of the time, also each time doing at least 4 damage to me off her ability.

Beast 666 is a great card, but far from broken. That was my only point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.