Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enhancements and Objective questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have a couple of questions and looked through this forum and couldn't find answers:

1) What do I do when the objective doesn't match the affiliation?

For example, I have a Scum and Villainy affiliation and the objective "Heart of the Empire" is revealed which says Sith only - if this objective is destroyed, DS loses the game. What should I do in this case, discard and draw another objective as I'm not Sith affiliated?

2) How do I use enhancement with characters? Do they physically sit under the character card or can they be left with my resources and only attached to a character when I participate in combat?

For example, I have two enhancement skills "Trust your feelings" in play with only one character. Do I just use the action of removing a focus token on any action window? If that character is destroyed or removed, I would still retain those enhancements, correct? Having one or two of these in play would be extremely powerful as I could essentially remove all focus tokens from all my characters (when I add more) at my will.

What about the Jedi lightsaber? It would seem that as this is a weapon and not a skill, this would be physically attached to a character ie. put under card in order for a character to benefit. If so, can I transfer this enhancement to another character if I later change my mind on who uses it?

These questions came up when the DS card "There is no escape" which returned all my units to the bottom of my deck. What happens to my enhancements in this case? Which ones do I retain, if any?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - You cannot use that objective set in your deck AT ALL if you don't use a Sith affiliation (Hence Sith affiliation only).

2 - I usually lay mine on the target card (They ALWAYS have a target) overlapping slightly. They are always attached to the same character when played, no swapping.

if the unit leaves play you lose any enhancements attached to it.

Enhancements that are not attached to characters will have the text "Enhance your play area"

Card rules text can vary these rules (but not in any of the instances you asked about).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon is correct, but he didn't quite answer all the questions.

DavidPD wrote:
For example, I have two enhancement skills "Trust your feelings" in play with only one character. Do I just use the action of removing a focus token on any action window?

Yes, you can use it during any action window.

DavidPD wrote:
If that character is destroyed or removed, I would still retain those enhancements, correct? Having one or two of these in play would be extremely powerful as I could essentially remove all focus tokens from all my characters (when I add more) at my will.

No. If a card says to enhance a unit, then it must be assigned to a single unit. When that unit leaves play, the enhancement is discarded.

DavidPD wrote:
What about the Jedi lightsaber? It would seem that as this is a weapon and not a skill, this would be physically attached to a character ie. put under card in order for a character to benefit. If so, can I transfer this enhancement to another character if I later change my mind on who uses it?

Yes, it (as with Trust Your Feelings) must be assigned to one character. You cannot move the enhancement once it has been played (unless a card specifically allows you to do so, which I don't think any can do at this point).

DavidPD wrote:
These questions came up when the DS card "There is no escape" which returned all my units to the bottom of my deck. What happens to my enhancements in this case? Which ones do I retain, if any?

You won't keep any enhancement that was attached to a unit. The only enhancements that will remain in play are those enhancing your play area or enhancing objectives.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidPD wrote:
Hi,

I have a couple of questions and looked through this forum and couldn't find answers:

1) What do I do when the objective doesn't match the affiliation?

For example, I have a Scum and Villainy affiliation and the objective "Heart of the Empire" is revealed which says Sith only - if this objective is destroyed, DS loses the game. What should I do in this case, discard and draw another objective as I'm not Sith affiliated?


As someone else mentioned, the restriction means you can't use it in your deck. Including it in a non-Sith deck is cheating. You have an illegal deck, the same as if you'd included three copies of a single objective.

Most "X affiliation only" objectives aren't faction limited because of the objective card itself. Scouring the Empire is just a blank 2res/5hp objective, just like The Executor Arrives. Once they're in play, the only difference is that Scouring has the Coruscant keyword. Unstoppable Advance is another, it's just a 2/5 Hoth objective. It's not locked to Navy only because the objective's good, it's locked to Navy because the AT-ATs are navy only.

A Journey to Dagobah (and Flight of the Crow, for that matter) is Jedi Only because you would never want a player comboing it with Mobilize the Squadrons. The objectives aren't too powerful to combine, but you don't want Red Five (or The Crow) in a deck with Trench Run. Just like you don't want The Ultimate Power getting too cozy with Heart of the Empire.

So, no, you can't use those objectives in the wrong affiliation, if you are, you're cheating, and screw placidly discarding the objective and tittering "oopsie", that's just not okay.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
DavidPD wrote:
Hi,

I have a couple of questions and looked through this forum and couldn't find answers:

1) What do I do when the objective doesn't match the affiliation?

For example, I have a Scum and Villainy affiliation and the objective "Heart of the Empire" is revealed which says Sith only - if this objective is destroyed, DS loses the game. What should I do in this case, discard and draw another objective as I'm not Sith affiliated?


As someone else mentioned, the restriction means you can't use it in your deck. Including it in a non-Sith deck is cheating. You have an illegal deck, the same as if you'd included three copies of a single objective.

Most "X affiliation only" objectives aren't faction limited because of the objective card itself. Scouring the Empire is just a blank 2res/5hp objective, just like The Executor Arrives. Once they're in play, the only difference is that Scouring has the Coruscant keyword. Unstoppable Advance is another, it's just a 2/5 Hoth objective. It's not locked to Navy only because the objective's good, it's locked to Navy because the AT-ATs are navy only.

A Journey to Dagobah (and Flight of the Crow, for that matter) is Jedi Only because you would never want a player comboing it with Mobilize the Squadrons. The objectives aren't too powerful to combine, but you don't want Red Five (or The Crow) in a deck with Trench Run. Just like you don't want The Ultimate Power getting too cozy with Heart of the Empire.

So, no, you can't use those objectives in the wrong affiliation, if you are, you're cheating, and screw placidly discarding the objective and tittering "oopsie", that's just not okay.


Yikes! This felt just a bit harsh at the end. Deckbuilding restrictions written on the cards is sometimes a foreign concept. I can understand not figuring that out. Yes, it's technically cheating, but cheating by ignorance is a lot different than cheating voluntarily (and if that were the case, your response wouldn't be harsh enough, in my opinion!).

David, looks like the others took care of all your questions, and Michael did provide some good reasoning for why you cannot run those objective sets together. FFG's rulebooks aren't always the most intuitive, though, so if you have any other questions hit us up!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Day2Dan wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:
DavidPD wrote:
Hi,

I have a couple of questions and looked through this forum and couldn't find answers:

1) What do I do when the objective doesn't match the affiliation?

For example, I have a Scum and Villainy affiliation and the objective "Heart of the Empire" is revealed which says Sith only - if this objective is destroyed, DS loses the game. What should I do in this case, discard and draw another objective as I'm not Sith affiliated?


As someone else mentioned, the restriction means you can't use it in your deck. Including it in a non-Sith deck is cheating. You have an illegal deck, the same as if you'd included three copies of a single objective.

Most "X affiliation only" objectives aren't faction limited because of the objective card itself. Scouring the Empire is just a blank 2res/5hp objective, just like The Executor Arrives. Once they're in play, the only difference is that Scouring has the Coruscant keyword. Unstoppable Advance is another, it's just a 2/5 Hoth objective. It's not locked to Navy only because the objective's good, it's locked to Navy because the AT-ATs are navy only.

A Journey to Dagobah (and Flight of the Crow, for that matter) is Jedi Only because you would never want a player comboing it with Mobilize the Squadrons. The objectives aren't too powerful to combine, but you don't want Red Five (or The Crow) in a deck with Trench Run. Just like you don't want The Ultimate Power getting too cozy with Heart of the Empire.

So, no, you can't use those objectives in the wrong affiliation, if you are, you're cheating, and screw placidly discarding the objective and tittering "oopsie", that's just not okay.


Yikes! This felt just a bit harsh at the end. Deckbuilding restrictions written on the cards is sometimes a foreign concept. I can understand not figuring that out. Yes, it's technically cheating, but cheating by ignorance is a lot different than cheating voluntarily (and if that were the case, your response wouldn't be harsh enough, in my opinion!).

David, looks like the others took care of all your questions, and Michael did provide some good reasoning for why you cannot run those objective sets together. FFG's rulebooks aren't always the most intuitive, though, so if you have any other questions hit us up!
Yeah, maybe it was. I've been dealing with a lot of willfully ignorant people lately, and some of that might have rubbed off in my initial response. I've also known people who would build illegal decks by choice, before, including in a tournament, years ago. So, it's something I'm not terribly forgiving of.

Also, I can certainly agree that the deck construction rules in the manual are a little obtuse. Though it specifically points out that the "X affiliation only" objectives have to match your affiliation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more fun to say "You are cheating" than "You have made an illegal deck"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
*Plays Jackalope Stampede on Roborob.*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info everyone. A little context would help here. I am cycling through my current games instead of buying new ones. I haven't played this game in months and pulled it out in honor of May the Force(th) to play with my son.

I usually print out player aids and also printed out a forum post that seemed pretty confident about recommended decks for two core sets. One of the decks was the following:

Sith (use the Scum and Villainy card)

2 Fall of the Jedi
2 The Emporer's Web
1 Heart of the Empire
2 The Bespin Exchange
2 Cruel Interrogations
1 Counsel of the Sith


I have no desire to call out this poster (can't remember exactly where I got it anyway) for helping me "cheat" but will share a bit of irony here. When I first opened this game box after many months, I had a deck with the above pods except "Heart of the Empire" (Sith only). After reading this, I vaguely remember now that HotE was a mistake and switched it out when I originally put this deck together. Now it comes back to bite me in the arse. Funny.

So now, let's turn a negative into a positive - CHALLENGE TIME for veterans:

I want to teach this game to a co-worker. What would you replace the illegal pod (HotE) with? I have two core sets. The above deck would be up against the following:

JEDI (using Spies and Smugglers)
2 A Heroes Journey
2 In you must go
1 Forgotten Heroes
1 Journey to Dagobah
2 Secret of Yavin IV
2 Questionable Contacts


I'm not experienced obviously but I am pretty sure of the rules now. Which side do you recommend I play so to give my opponent a good impression of the game? Do you think this is a good match-up for a first (learning) game? I recall that the original decks listed in the manual didn't give us a favorable impression of the game.

cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd drop the off affiliation stuff. There's no really compelling reason to try to teach someone about multi affiliation decks initially, in my opinion.

Drop Bespin and exchange them for a second copy of Heart and Council. Also, if you end up with two Hearts in your opening objective hand, play both.

For Jedi, just double up on Forgotten Heroes and Journey, and drop Questionable Contacts. That was actually my go to Jedi deck up until Heroes and Legends dropped.

EDIT: Quick Reminder: Journey is Jedi Only, so both decks are illegal as listed there.

EDIT 2: Sith can be a nasty one to introduce players to first off, simply because of the control and non-interaction focus for that affiliation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started playing, it was always tempting to play Sith and Jedi because they have the big name characters, but I thought the games between Rebels and Navy were the most fun because they encourage the players to go out and attack.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd like to give it a look, I have a blog with a couple of 2x Core Set-only decks that I've used to teach many people how to play. The links are here: Light Side and Dark Side.

Hope that helps!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
I'd drop the off affiliation stuff. There's no really compelling reason to try to teach someone about multi affiliation decks initially, in my opinion.

I agree. Some people won't get how at least one of the resources has to match the unit being deployed no matter how well you explain it. I tried teaching a friend how to play. He picked a multiple affiliation deck to start, and he kept messing up the resource matching and got really frustrated. It took me months of convincing to get him to play again. When we finally did, I told him to pick a mono affiliation deck instead, and he enjoyed the game a lot more. So, yeah, I recommend having new players start with mono decks. You can introduce multi-affiliation deck builds later.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:
I'd drop the off affiliation stuff. There's no really compelling reason to try to teach someone about multi affiliation decks initially, in my opinion.

I agree. Some people won't get how at least one of the resources has to match the unit being deployed no matter how well you explain it. I tried teaching a friend how to play. He picked a multiple affiliation deck to start, and he kept messing up the resource matching and got really frustrated. It took me months of convincing to get him to play again. When we finally did, I told him to pick a mono affiliation deck instead, and he enjoyed the game a lot more. So, yeah, I recommend having new players start with mono decks. You can introduce multi-affiliation deck builds later.


The alternative is to play a stripped down version of the game. I remember The X-Files CCG back in the 90s actually had an alternate beginner ruleset. (I kinda think the Aliens vs. Predator one did too.)

How you configure this would be house rules, but in those circumstances you could just ignore resource matching for easing someone into the game, with the warning that you're skipping over some of the rules initially. That would let you swing the three faction Superfriends deck without having to worry about how you're going to pay for cards in completely random factions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Day2Dan wrote:
If you'd like to give it a look, I have a blog with a couple of 2x Core Set-only decks that I've used to teach many people how to play. The links are here: Light Side and Dark Side.

Hope that helps!


Okay, I'll try this match-up and let you all know how it goes.

cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.