BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What do you want to read in a review of a game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hanne Beate
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking of writing a review of a game I play. I've read several reviews and also some info about it, but I want to know what you think it's a good review.

Please share!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aalsterse Spellenclub Prettig Gescoord
Belgium
Aalst
flag msg tools
mb
What I like is first a short description of how the game works, then the plus and minus points of the game. What I also like to know (but hardly find) is if you're making a review based on a copy you have gotten for free from the publisher or not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game is similar to any others.

If you like the mechanics whatever they may be.

Strategies you used.

Why you thought it was fun.

How it compares to every other similar game you have played.

How much you paid for the game and if you thought that was a good deal.

How much other people that you played with liked the game.

If you think the weight of the game is correctly voted upon on bgg as far as the average.

How rare the game is.

If you have played any of the designers other games.

Does the theme come through and if so specifically how?

How good is the component quality?

Was it hard to punch?

Do you like the art? Does it have colorful character tiles and a drab board that doesn't fit at all like Rattus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Support. Your. Assertions.

For instance:

"Set-up time was good."

Really? What was it and why is it good?

"The game has a few tricky rules, but once you know them, it has straightforward mechanisms."

What are the tricky rules? What is tricky about them? Is that a good or bad thing? Why? What is straightforward about the mechanics? I assume this is a good thing. Why is it good in this case?

In other words, pretend there is a Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Series 800 Terminator looking over your shoulder as you write that keeps asking "Why?" to every one of your declarations.

P.S.-- Try to avoid Overused words, and BGG Euphemisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
You didn't actually explain your reasoning for this... So.... Why?

Admittedly, it's trivially easy to deduce your reasoning, but highly ironic that you ignore your own advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Scottgun wrote:
You didn't actually explain your reasoning for this... So.... Why?

Admittedly, it's trivially easy to deduce your reasoning, but highly ironic that you ignore your own advice.

My review of reviews has been panned. Hoisted on my own petard again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanne Beate
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot to all of you! thumbsup
I prefer images in the review and also not a very long one. I'd make a review some days ago, but it was refused because it was to short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell me how you feel playing the game. The emotions the game elicits etc. I personally don't care for reviews of the components, rules overview, etc. There are 100's of reviews that do that and plenty of "how to play" or "unboxing" videos that I can use to get that info. What I want to know from a fellow geek is what makes it fun, why it's fun, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You tell me what things you like and why, and what things you don't like and why. The why is the important part. Even if I don't like the exact same things in games that you do and hate the same things that you do, the why part will be valuable information for me.

If you know, how does the feel of the game change with different player counts?

Is the game highly group-specific/dependent? How does the game work in your group, and what the group is like? What are the perceived pitfalls when it comes to the personalities of the players in the group?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An analysis of what worked and didn't work for you. I can read the rule book on my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always need to know whether the game plays well with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
I always need to know whether the game plays well with 2 players.

That's an excellent point. When I read a review, I do want to know how the reviewer experienced the game because enjoyment can vary wildly by the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkestoceans wrote:
If the game is similar to any others.

If you like the mechanics whatever they may be.

Strategies you used.

Why you thought it was fun.

How it compares to every other similar game you have played.

How much you paid for the game and if you thought that was a good deal.

How much other people that you played with liked the game.

If you think the weight of the game is correctly voted upon on bgg as far as the average.

How rare the game is.

If you have played any of the designers other games.

Does the theme come through and if so specifically how?

How good is the component quality?

Was it hard to punch?

Do you like the art? Does it have colorful character tiles and a drab board that doesn't fit at all like Rattus?

This is actually quite good. Maybe not compare it to every game similar, but still, this is a solid list. I also would add in length of both the setup/tear down and the play time. Also, do not hesitate to be critical of what, in your opinion, deserves your criticism. Critical reviews, even of games you like, is welcomed!

Lastly, player count...what you played it with, what you think it's best with and if it plays well w/ 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to know what you didn't like about the game and why. Even if it's your favourite game in the whole world, I imagine that it still isn't perfect.

I find that constructively negative comments are very useful because they tell me why I might not like a game. It also gives me a better idea of what your tastes are compared to mine to help me decide if that game is right for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
For written reviews, here's what I like to see:

Organization - Separate your review into sections that are easy to distinguish from each other. If I already have a rough understanding of how the game plays, I don't need to read over your interpretation of how it plays.

Fairness - Even if a game rates a 1 on your own personal scale, there has to be something to like about it. Same goes with things to dislike about "10" games. When I do a review, I try to balance out the good and bad as much as possible. Even though I can live with a game that has a horrendously long setup time, I know it might be a problem for other people.

Comparisons - If this game reminds you of something else you've played, say so, and say why. Even if it seems like it's completely out of left field. For instance, Macao scratches the same itch as Agricola for me, since they are both have a slow burn towards these epic turns where you get a lot accomplished all at once. I kept Macao and got rid of Agricola for this reason. A lot of people may not see things that way, but that's how I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What the game feels like to play. Shut Up & Sit Down have nailed this (usually). A glorified rulebook with an opinion is not a review. I like games with emergent decisions, something rulebooks don't convey (although a rulebook with good examples will begin to touch upon this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Radic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play example with at least one specific situation is all i need.But this is the least covered with reviews.
Everything else is personal preferences,setup time,like no like components,artwork,worker/soldier/ship/counter placement game,voice of the reviewer and haircut...etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cruz

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, a good review will talk about how easy or hard the game is too play, number of players it plays best with, mechanics, tactics, but most importantly: the fun factor. The most gorgeous looking game or the most strategic or innovative game would not be play unless is fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Weimer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prettig Gescoord wrote:
What I like is first a short description of how the game works.

Yes. Please, please, please, don't say "there are a lot of other reviews that can explain how the game works, so I'm not going to cover it here." Nothing else you say about the game can tell me anything meaningful about it if I don't have a concept for the rules.

newkillerstar27 wrote:
Organization - Separate your review into sections that are easy to distinguish from each other.

But, if it so happens that I am familiar with how the game works, it's easy for me to skip to the other parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for that link. Wow, what a picture he paints
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tenhole wrote:
Prettig Gescoord wrote:
What I like is first a short description of how the game works.

Yes. Please, please, please, don't say "there are a lot of other reviews that can explain how the game works, so I'm not going to cover it here." Nothing else you say about the game can tell me anything meaningful about it if I don't have a concept for the rules.

newkillerstar27 wrote:
Organization - Separate your review into sections that are easy to distinguish from each other.

But, if it so happens that I am familiar with how the game works, it's easy for me to skip to the other parts.

The rule books are usually posted online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate objective reviews that cover different perspectives.
State the type of game and the intended target audience of the game it was designed for, and keep that in mind when reviewing a game. Evaluate the game for what and who it was designed.

For example, don't just say you hated a game because you hate shuffling cards all the time. If it's a deck-building game, shuffling is a given. You can say that this type of game doesn't appeal to you because you don't like deck-building games, but since the game was designed for gamers who do want to play deck-building games, state how well the game works as intended.

It's perfectly fine for the reviewer to give his/her personal opinions and feelings about the game, but then don't just be overly enthusiastic or completely negative about a game (unless it really deserves it) without explaining your impressions and considering the larger gamer audience.

For example, if you're reviewing a cooperative, 1-4 player thematic game, it's fine for you to say you didn't like the game because you're not into cooperative game, but then give your impressions if you think the game WOULD appeal to cooperative players because that is the intended target of gamers. Or if you played only 4 players, then say if you think it's only best with more players would would or would not work well for fewer players or as a solitaire game since that is what the game advertises.

For really long reviews, please structure sections with headers, which helps to identify and easily find the sections you want to read. Add a final Conclusion section at the end that summarizes your review for people who don't want to read the whole review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the lot of us put quite nice summaries and guidelines about what we want from a review here: Voice of Experience 2.0 Review Contest - Prizes!

And yes, there will be VoE 3.0 soon (or VoE III or ... we don't know the name yet, but it will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to spam my own review from way back when. I think it does a good job of what I like

This game is a jerk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Morgan
United States
Freedom
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. quality of parts and components. from gameboard to cards to rule book material

2. extra add ons available like the lords of waterdeep dndeeples

3. where to buy game at the best deal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.