• [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, the Mice and Mystics forums are your friend, try searching there in General, Rules and Strategy for similar questions and hopefully helpful answers.

Having said that, my son and I recently completed Chapter 9. We did it using Tilda as the 2nd mouse, hitting extra hard with the mace when Colin was wounded then using First Aid to heal him. This was usually enough to keep Vurst in line when needed

I have heard of others using Lily as the 2nd mouse to reduce cheese going to the minions by using Lily's Bow.

Having the Fishhook and Thread made the last tile much easier, for quickly moving up to the table to search for the ring, and then across to the clock. We had Vurst stand in the way of the rats as much as possible to allow the mice to complete the Ring and Clock tasks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Mice and Mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just defeated it ourselves. Used the same strategy as thewagon. It also helped that we had some unusually good rolls when trying to knock sense back into Vurst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KVF
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just played this chapter a few days ago - it was the first chapter we lost, and we lost it on the second tile. Collin went to attack a roach and rolled three sword/shield/stars, immediately capturing himself. My wife played Lily and held her ground for a while, but after three surges The End was reached.

Second play through, the first thing I did as Collin was to equip his original sword again, and put the Sorrow Blade in his pack. I'm not sure if it was against the rules (or the designer's intent), but with the Ring of Cat's Strength as my carry-over item, rolling 4 attack die was enough without the threat of self-harm - I didn't need to be rolling all 5!

Another thing you can do is make a house rule that both the mice champions you take have a modified version of First Aid, which can only be used once per tile. Wouldn't have helped in my one-shot-self-capture mentioned above, but could've proved useful elsewhere.

Looking forward to Chapter 10 tonight! Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KVF
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Droopy McCool wrote:
I might be wrong about this, but I think you only ever take 1 wound per use of the Sorrow Blade.

The wording on the card is:

after attacking with this blade, if 1 or more (shield+sword+ *) we're rolled in that attack, place 1 wound marker on this mouse.

It doesn't say for each symbol, just 1 wound if 1 or more was rolled.

I too was wondering if Collin still has his normal sword and can use it, or if the Sorrow Blade replaces it.

You're absolutely right! Unfortunately, we read it wrong at the time, but will have a better chance at it when we play through again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was also our first defeat chapter.

We also had Lily as our second mouse, and got as far as the third tile, and Vurst turned against us.. He immediately took Collin out and it was Vurst a Rat Warrior and a Roach against Lilly with one wound.

She was able to turn Vurst back, but with only one cheese left to go before a surge... and of course, next minion rolled a cheese... Then they made short work of Lilly

So we decided to bring Lilly and Collin back on that tile, but they just had their starting gear... Still just those three minions... they wiped the floor with us again (the dice hated us, together with Vurst and his pistoleer ability)

So we called it a wash and just removed all minions, and continued from there. I'm playing with my 6 year old daughter, and we wanted to see how the story continued. But for all intents and purposes, we were totally slaughtered in Chapter 9.

Next time, I'm bringing Filtch as my plus one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mnty4rd wrote:
Next time, I'm bringing Filtch as my plus one.

This is a great plan to keep the wheel tamed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Baggio
Brazil
flag msg tools
If Vurst is an ally and there aren't another minion on the board. Does the cheese wheel get filled at the end of the round as normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.