Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pablo Grande
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I've just played God of War and I was thinking how could I make a faction out of it.

I thought it was difficult because there is a main character and a lot of monsters to kill.

Then I thought Kratos is all time killing monsters and taking things from them, so I realized this could be the main theme of this faction: kill your own minions for profit.

So, here we go. This is a standard faction deck, this means it has: 4/3/2/1 minions and 2/2/1/1/1/1/1/1 actions.

Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_WhDdaF3gI-clF0M05VY1YzYTg...

The Harpy, the smallest minion, with 4 copies. Nothing surprising. It's like the smallest minion from the Tricksters.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Another minion that likes to die. He guards the gate to hell, so it makes sense he recovers card from the discard pile. Maybe the card should say "another card" because I think this way he could retrieve himself. But it's not a big deal anyway.

Let's use this death trigger with a big minion. Normally, there are some 4 power minions. This minion is like a 4 power, because you normally sacrifice a 2 power minion, so 4+2=6. But, of course, you could always sacrifice a Buccaneer, a Warbot or one of your 2/3 power minions from this deck.

Now it's time for the leader minion of this faction... actually, no. First, actions:

The gorgon's head. Kill one of your gorgons, use its head to kill any minion. Two copies of this.

Ok, I don't want to die. This could be used as a move a minion if you are able to trigger the death. Maybe not the best wording. Two copies of this.

Some conditional card drawing based on the lonelyness of your minions.

Is there a subtheme of being alone in a base? Well, if you are all time killing your own minions... We'll ask the leader minion later.

Hello, General Ivan, did you think you were immortal?

This won't usually be used to kill your own minions, but, you know, Kratos kills the big guys also.

Oh yeah, I kill my own Harpy and I win 1VP and I draw 2 cards.

Kratos always survives...

And finally, the leader minion.

If he goes first, great, 8 power. If he goes afterwards, great, rewards from killing your own minions. Kratos kills everything on his path, roar!

I tested this a couple of times and I think it's above average, maybe at a Steampunk or Aliens level. But it needs more test.

You can find my 3 Starcraft custom factions here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1148918/3-custom-starcra...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm concerned that this faction doesn't really have a way to get points if all you do is just sack your own minions. Aliens can farm VP themselves using Invaders, and Steampunks can stack plenty of power, but it doesn't seem like all the self-induced killing really translates into getting points. How exactly did they play out in your playtests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Grande
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Parsat wrote:
I'm concerned that this faction doesn't really have a way to get points if all you do is just sack your own minions. Aliens can farm VP themselves using Invaders, and Steampunks can stack plenty of power, but it doesn't seem like all the self-induced killing really translates into getting points. How exactly did they play out in your playtests?

Thank you for your comment. That is a fair concern, but they actually worked.

Kratos enemies can farm VP too by using Sacrifice for a god + Cerberus, because you can recover Sacrifice for a god. Then, if Cerberus had From the underworld, you could keep farming again, or using another of your Cerberus. This is difficult to disrupt because your opponents can't actually destroy Cerberus because they come back.

Chimera destroys one of your minions, but adds a power of 6. So it's like you didn't actually destroyed one of your minions if Chimera is not killed.

I will upload a PDF so you can try them yourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Looking over the factions I see you put clear thought into it which is great. I also like how you worded Chimera since it avoids the same confusion that the Elder Thing minion has. The theme is solid and shows you put thought into how the minions interact with the deck and each other.

Kratos being power 8 makes sense. I'm guessing you are thinking that King Rex is 7 so Kratos having a "negative" ability giving him 8 makes sense. Considering there aren't that many other factions with minions that it would combo with and since the faction does not have any actions that increase power I'm inclined to agree.

This faction is in a way very similar to the ET faction with their Tier 1 and 2 minions being supercharaged but with limits on playing them. It has elements of a lot of factions mixed in like ninjas, wizards, zombies but with the "detriment" of needing to kill your own minions at times.

For "From the Underworld" I see your difficulty. You wanted a way to still collect the "on kill" benefits but keep the minion "alive" which is why you went with that weird wording. I'd advise you to use wording like the Steam Punk Escape Hatch:

Special: When this minion is destroyed, place it into your hand instead of the discard pile. You may immediately play it as an extra minion.

Another interesting thing about this faction is it trades a lot of "power" for card flow... which is pretty unique. The super powered minions naturally need to reduce power at the same time (like the bears) but there is a lot of potential to draw more cards not to mention attacks that can target very powerful minions which in and of itself is very very powerful so it's probably fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Grande
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, J, for your analysis. You really understand the thoughts behind my decisions.

I'll surely reword "From the underworld".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.