Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the designer encourages negotiation in the rules.

What is your experience with negotiations as a game lever?
How much negotiation takes place in your games?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Negative. The random card draw plus that you may not carry over all that much from round to round makes long(er) term agreements futile. I'd also much rather force an opponent into doing things my way through a gift than that I enter into soft negotiations whose result may or may not come to pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting Maarten. I would have thought that especially at the start of the game where establishing credibility is important for the rest of the game, negotiation partners would stick to their word..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Don't ever play Diplomacy then... meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy is highly unlike Confucius, as you know. I have played quite a bit in the past.

In diplomacy players have limited means to accomplish their goals, compared to Confucius. You also need to displace some player to grow. Thus the need to usually betray early. Although in my limited experience I have found that the best of players usually do not betray until it is highly effective and perhaps gives them the match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.