Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And it is a pretty good one, too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/06/technology/high-tech-push-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy P.
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very positive story about the economic growth of boardgames that included how technology has made developing games much quicker. Worth the read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have been so easy for them to go just a bit deeper in this story. They missed an opportunity here. It's not bad, but it could have been so much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
It would have been so easy for them to go just a bit deeper in this story. They missed an opportunity here. It's not bad, but it could have been so much better.

True. But at least it avoided snarky references to bearded guys with hygiene issues, etc., which articles like this so often fall prey to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

Indeed. Like this:

Quote:
Hasbro, which publishes Monopoly, Battleship and Trivial Pursuit, has seen sales in its games category grow in recent years, including 10 percent last year from the year before.

Was that an increase sales of Monopoly, Battleship, etc., or was it from their subsidiaries like Wizards of the Coast? Any chance they might take a look in the attic and blow the dust off of out-of-print Avalon Hill/Milton Bradley games ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

True. But at least it avoided snarky references to bearded guys with hygiene issues, etc., which articles like this so often fall prey to.

Right. One can enough of that in the WaG forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All in all, I thought the story was meh. It was really more about kickstarter than it was about games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pretty good, and mostly positive. I don't like CAH at all and I think its a poor representation of the hobby in any instance. If the author would have stayed on the KS track I think there is a lot of meat to that story. And the US production is really a positive that I would have liked to see explored more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was super excited when I saw the article but then reading it, I felt a bit disappointed. It wasn't all bad but it didn't do much to dispel the "board games are for kids" impression. Even reading the article's comments confirms that since most of the remarks are about kids and board games. But at least a couple of BGG members gave us a shout out. Maybe we should flood the comments section with "the full story"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quirogal wrote:
Yeah, I was super excited when I saw the article but then reading it, I felt a bit disappointed. It wasn't all bad but it didn't do much to dispel the "board games are for kids" impression. Even reading the article's comments confirms that since most of the remarks are about kids and board games. But at least a couple of BGG members gave us a shout out. Maybe we should flood the comments section with "the full story"?

Proselytizing in the comments to an article on the Internet never pushes the needle for anyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah starting it off with a focus on a kids game I wasn't sure where it was headed. But they did have some good paragraphs about Euros etc. And some new info for me, like Hasbro's growth. Wonder how much of that was their Avalon Hill division. And I wonder if they had experienced that growth back in mid-2000s when their line of Nexus Ops etc were out, if they would've continued more in that interesting direction.

Also, I had been wondering if the Cards Against Humanities folks were millionaires now, and this article confirms that they must be at least close - it says none of them technically have to work now, thanks to all their profits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed that it was a bit of a missed opportunity. The concept of "gamification" is incredibly hot right now, and has implications for "environmental design" more generally. Not a whiff of that. Also, board games are in some ways, a reaction against prescripted, homogenized entertainment. The things don't play themselves! There's no sitting back and letting advertisers pickle your mind, and there's no online tracking of your every click. It's you, possibly some friends and/or family, and engagement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
quirogal wrote:

Proselytizing in the comments to an article on the Internet never pushes the needle for anyone

True perhaps. I'm too lazy to login and post a comment anyway. Besides, as it's not a contentious article its comments probably won't get many views. And if board games get too mainstream, I lose my cutting-edge rep laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting this. I thought it was a good article; the perspective from folks here is very different from the general population and I think we forget that sometimes. This was a good introduction to something people have probably never heard of, I don't think you can get everything in.

I remember when Mitt Romney had his dressage horse in the Olympics, and I was very involved in dressage at the time, my horse boards blew up with all the outrage about the articles that were coming out and how misleading they were about the sport, etc etc -- it's hard to introduce people who know nothing to a specific hobby and get it right. No one felt the mainstream media was representing it correctly (mostly because you don't have to be wealthy like the Romneys to enjoy the sport). The same could be said here, you can be an adult and enjoy board games.

I am glad the article was posted at all, it can only be positive press and pique people's interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cruz

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite not going far enough, I feel it was a nice article that hopefully will motivate a few readers to give the hobby a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the biggest problem (beyond not mentioning BGG directly cool) was that it talked largely about start-ups but not the mid-sized established game publishing companies which are both growing and doing innovative stuff.

One paragraph on what one of 'our' game companies is doing would have given a much better perspective on what options are out there in gaming right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read all your comments before the article and it was a pleasant surprise to me that it's well written, it pays homage to Settlers and mentioned Wil Wheaton and Tabletop.

I think it did the hobby good in general. Hopefully some of them will watch some TableTop episodes and give board games a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheesh, you guys don't want much do you

There was an article on board games
It was in the New York Times
BRILLIANT outcome.
laugh The End.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
IMHO a boring article about someone who used Kickstarter to make a Roborally version for children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Positive article that gave people an idea where to start looking if they are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.