Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Below is my current understanding.
Please correct my definitions or add to them. Any help is appreciated.
----------
Pure co-op--All players truly work together and either win as one or lose as one. (ie: Pandemic or Robinson Crusoe)

Semi co-op--All players work together but one player, or one team can get the most points/tokens/whatever, and thus be declared the overall winner. (ie: Castaways or Castle Panic)

Traiter co-op--All players appear to work together but one player may actually be a (hidden) traitor and is working against the other players. (ie: Shadows over Camelot)

GM/DM referee co-ops--Not sure what this is or even if it belongs here.

Any other type of co-op?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some people consider team vs team games to be co-ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For your last category (GM/DM), this category encompasses games like Descent. All of the players are working toward a common goal except for one, who is controlling the monsters and/or the environment. It's debatable whether this should be considered coop, since there is opposition among the players, especially in the case where there is one GM and only one or two other players. But it could arguably be included as coop, as the heart of the game is cooperation among the "good" side, while one person is simply needed to run the opposition so as to avoid having a dumber AI system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Oph1d1an wrote:
For your last category (GM/DM), this category encompasses games like Descent. All of the players are working toward a common goal except for one, who is controlling the monsters and/or the environment. It's debatable whether this should be considered coop, since there is opposition among the players, especially in the case where there is one GM and only one or two other players. But it could arguably be included as coop, as the heart of the game is cooperation among the "good" side, while one person is simply needed to run the opposition so as to avoid having a dumber AI system.

Ahh, thanks Aaron, that has long plagued me and you cleared it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:

But the "bad" side isn't just simply running the opposition, like in a D&D campaign. They have an actual objective so that they can win and the others lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.