Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Uhrich
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for good Bronze Age board games... war games, civilization games, whatever. I have pre-ordered Genesis: Empires and Kingdoms of the Ancient Middle East from GMT P-500, but I don't expect to see that for a long time. A couple of games I own that would probably qualify are Civilization and Tigris & Euphrates. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recon Strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
starfailure wrote:
Can we be done with this now? Please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent played it but am aware of The God Kings: Warfare at the Dawn of Civilization, 1500 – 1260BC and Assyrian Wars.

Chariot Lords was difficult to find but it is on my pile of games to play. It looks like a slightly more complex Britannia.

If tactical Hex-and-Counter games are up your street there is also Chariots of Fire. I've enjoyed this alot and have moved on to Hoplite at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures is a great game, that should qualify.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Yep. OP and I play CoC on Vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Uhrich
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
If tactical Hex-and-Counter games are up your street there is also Chariots of Fire. I've enjoyed this alot and have moved on to Hoplite at the moment.

Chariots of Fire looks exactly like something I'd be into. I'll have to add that to my wish list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Uhrich
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starfailure wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Yep. OP and I play CoC on Vassal.

In RL too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The U wrote:
RAVENBURG wrote:

Chariots of Fire looks exactly like something I'd be into. I'll have to add that to my wish list.

Then be aware the GMT is having a 50% off sale right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
The U wrote:
RAVENBURG wrote:

Their "50% off sale" for the 3 games I put in my cart amounts to a savings of about $8.00 from how much I could buy the same games for at CSI when I factor in shipping. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Uhrich
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
RAVENBURG wrote:
The U wrote:
RAVENBURG wrote:

Their "50% off sale" for the 3 games I put in my cart amounts to a savings of about $8.00 from how much I could buy the same games for at CSI when I factor in shipping. soblue

I encountered the same thing. In fact, when I looked up Chariots of Fire, it was significantly cheaper at CSI than GMT even with the 50% off sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:

Understood, GMT charges me $14 shipping per item, CSI charges me $40, not hard to choose this side of the atlantic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

Understood, GMT charges me $14 shipping per item, CSI charges me $40, not hard to choose this side of the atlantic.

Plus, you have better pubs over there. That's a win-win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Walton
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I would look at Assyria or Phoenicia. Assyria with its Ziggurat building is a bit more 2nd millennium (and better suited in Babylonia, but never mind), although it mixes in some Iron Age type material (camels). Still its within the Bronze-Iron Age realm of history. Its not a bad game, on the civilization building end of thing. In my opinion there are better games, but not within this theme, and I still occasionally play and enjoy it. Another similar game would be Mesopotamia

Phoenicia is more Iron Age than Bronze Age, early 1st millennium, and is a classic Mediterranean trade and expansion game if you enjoy those. Like Assyria I think there are better games, but its not horrible, the rules are not the clearest. I would have liked a better board and a nice map, so this just ended up a bit abstracted and disappointing on that front. Another Bronze-Iron Age type is The Settlers of Canaan, also leaning a bit towards the Iron Age.

There are also numerous games for ancient Egypt that are vaguely bronze age, Ra and Nefertiti in particular come to mind, but I have not played them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...Bronze Age games...well, it depends, as what period the 'bronze age' defined differed by region, but I'd generally say you'll be looking at...

The Royal Game of Ur
Oware
Senet

...we are certainly looking at things predating Go and Chess, but there will be a few other dice-like games in this period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.