United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/06/technology/high-tech-push-...

Nothing new to us in the know, but still very encouraging article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see in this article, the same thing that has happened to a few other hobbies actually.

The computer as a tool has had an impact in a variety of ways it was long supposed to.

It has made some tasks either easier, or simply better.

Board games have always had the same draw they always did, but it is easier to make them on a computer. It is easier to market them thanks to the internet, which is thanks to the computer.

The same effect has dramatically affected the model hobby. Models today are much better made thanks to the computer. They are much easier to market thanks to the internet, which is thanks to the computer.

But the computer has not been much of a bonus to the local store. The local game store has not benefited any more than the local hobby store. And they could just as easily go the same way as the local video rental store. Local video gaming stores have in recent times been suffering thanks to the internet.

That the article focused on a guy, his kick starter experiences and his games for kids, doesn't really alter my comments. I have not seen nearly as much ease selling board game wargames, in the heyday golden years of wargaming as I do today. But it is all done online. I almost never see classic cliche genuine board game wargames on the shelf any more, aside from the mass market friendly Hasbro owned titles in most instances.

But I know of plenty of friends that like the idea of playing board games. And they are all hard core digital gamers too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1167555/boardgame-article-in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.