Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: quick question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I've got it in my head that when you get to Hook Mountain Massacre, you remove all the basic cards from the decks. But now, looking back at the rules, I can't find it.

Am I hallucinating? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look on the adventure path card for Rise of the Rune Lords. It says when you banish a bane, to remove it from the box, and when you banish a boon you may remove it from the box. Basic is the first type you can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As said above, it is is only when banishing cards. I made a worksheet to keep track of what I had removed (in case I mixed the cards in for any reason). It also has a list of when things are banished and when they aren't. It is here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98267/game-accessories-lay...

And here is the rule from the Adventure Path card.
Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path card wrote:
After you begin The Hook Mountain Massacre, whenever you banish a bane with the Basic trait, remove it from the game; whenever you you banish a boon with the Basic trait, you may remove it from the game. After you begin Sins of the Saviors, do the same for cards with the Elite trait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers!

Interesting nuance here if I read the rules right: if I defeat a bane it is banished (and can thus be removed from the game); if I acquire a boon it is either banished (and can thus be removed from the game) OR put in my hand, in which case it can't be removed from the game even if I don't keep it in my deck between adventures (as the rules say 'return to box' not 'banish').

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just remember not to confuse cards with the basic trait with cards from the base set. It's a trait you are looking for, not the letter in the upper-right corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noddingoff wrote:
if I acquire a boon it is either banished (and can thus be removed from the game) OR put in my hand, in which case it can't be removed from the game even if I don't keep it in my deck between adventures

This isn't quite right (unless there is a recent ruling I'm not aware of). You don't have to attempt to acquire a boon, in which case it is banished. If you do successfully require a boon, you put it in your hand, no choice to banish at this point. This is important with Blessing of the Gods, which you cannot choose not to acquire, therefore, you may not banish a BoG when you explore into it from a location deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Ah, missed the semi-colon prior to 'otherwise, banish it.' so boons are banished if I choose not to attempt to acquire or if I fail to acquire, but not if I do acquire OR if acquisition is automatic.

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you've got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noddingoff wrote:

Interesting nuance here if I read the rules right: if I defeat a bane it is banished (and can thus be removed from the game) (...)

Not just can, but MUST, if it has the BASIC trait after you begin Hook Mountain Massacre. The monsters get harder, whether you want them to or not :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
noddingoff wrote:

Interesting nuance here if I read the rules right: if I defeat a bane it is banished (and can thus be removed from the game) (...)

Not just can, but MUST, if it has the BASIC trait after you begin Hook Mountain Massacre. The monsters get harder, whether you want them to or not

Exactly. To be extra clear, banes MUST be removed and boons MAY be removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.