Popular Tags: [View All]
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first deck builder game I have ever played so my review does not make reference to games of this type since I haven't played them. For the basics please just read the game description for a basic lay out. Since this game has been out for a bit now I'll break this down into four parts Pro's Con's Physical game and final thoughts. Let’s get the physical game out of the way first off.

Physical Game:
Nice box art on the outside and I like the plastic holder on the inside for the most part. Only thing that annoys me here is the plastic well for the over sized cards doesn't have finger wells all the way to the bottom. So when an over sized card fall in it's a pain to get back out. Other then that I like the placemat for where the cards go on the inside; for someone new to the game type it helped. The cards themselves are of good quality and have great art on them. Over all a physically workable game can stand normal play once a week but I would suggest card protectors just to keep the damage down on the cards.

PRO'S:
First thing I liked is the over sized cards and how they give you a special power so to say. It gives each player a certain edge to the game and a style in which they will then try to win with. Second thing I enjoy is the interaction with the other players. Interaction happens in a few ways the main ones being purchasing the cards they want or need and attacks. Granted you’re not always going to buy cards just to prevent the other guy from getting them but sometimes it's a must to prevent something down the road. Attacking the other player through villains is a nice add in as well. Third and this was a big one for me personally was how easy it is to understand and learn this deck builder game. Like I said this was my first one I have played. I've played a few others since but the simplicity here is a great way to get newbie’s in the game style.

CON'S:
There are a few aspects of this game that after learning and playing a few times I came to see. First being the uneven super power of the over sized cards. Now the copy I purchased from my local shop had the Martian Manhunter promo card with it; so I have always played with him in the mix. So the breakdown of the Super Hero’s powers is bias. Superman and Batman get the biggest raw deals in the game. Superman dealing with individual super powers which are limited in the main deck (which will be point number two) make him hard to play with. Same thing for Batman and equipment since again there is less equipment in the main deck and the majority villains and secondary hero's. On top of that of the top of my head most defensive cards are equipment and super powers which mean everyone going for them. On the other side is the over powered which from my games have been the Green Lantern and Flash. For a deck builder adding purchase points like the Green Lantern by just have different card type allows him to be very versatile compared to the rest of the super heroes. Flash hits the second part of big advantage in deck builder card drawing. Only a few draw cards get in his hand and the Flash can run off with the game (Ahhhh I got puns here!). Martian is a good in the middle guy along with Aquaman; Wonder Woman can be can be above average toward the Green Lantern and Flash. Many say Wonder Woman is the best because of the over amount of villains in the main deck. Which yes and no to that, most of those villains are cheap and have qualities people want so they get bought up quickly. She is mostly luck driven with what shows up on her turn. The times some get her though in my games mostly everyone know what can happen and end up just bashing her with attacks and buying any cheap villain the comes around. That covers the over sized cards and bring me to the second CON which is the amount of each card type in the main deck. It's noticeable quickly that the majority of the cards are villains followed by hero's. This just leads to the points I made above with how that affects the over sized cards. Last CON I'm seeing from others posted here isn't a big deal to me, which has to do with the theme and super heroes. I read more DC as a kid and boy have the changed since then, but the powers and attacks on most of the cards fit the character on that card. Superman relies on super powers, Batman his equipment, flash his ability to move i.e. cards into your hand, Green Lantern his will power to create anything needed with his ring. I never read much on Martian and Wonder Woman so I can't say how their powers relate to them. So for me this isn't a CON; but what is (which they are working on with the expansion crisis pack) how everyone is all about themselves. These are super hero's that work together but for some reason not in this game? Oh well makes it more fun to be the best super hero rather than a team. So what are my final thoughts on the game?

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Over all I really enjoyed the game, being new to deck builders and its simple setup and style made me get into this type of game more. Since have picked up Heroes Unite and Street fighter from the same makers and marvel legendary with all the expansions as well. I still play this one the most for now out of the all because of the player interactions. I honestly suggest getting a copy of this game for people new to deck building and those who want to bring in friends to deck building, it’s basic and helps get a good understanding before moving into the more complicated ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the plastic well not going all the way to the bottom is ridiculous.

Very good points about the strength of Superman and Batman, these guys are completely beholden to whatever cards show up in the deck. At least Superman can buy kicks!

Wonder Woman can really explode in the late game if villains keep showing up…and the super-villians count as villains no matter what!

Good review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this and Legendary at about the same time and found this one more fun. Maybe because it is quicker, maybe the combos are easier to spot, maybe the goal is easier to wrap my head around. I also really like the villain one shot attacks and the attacks from the villains you snag from the lineup.

I do have to say that I disagree with your take on Batman. I do feel I find equipment fairly easily; guess it depends on who you are playing with and what they go after in the lineup.

Glad to see others are enjoying this one, hope to see more expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only had (and played) Dominion as a Deckbuilder previous to DC, and I've found DC pretty interesting and different enough.

I believe Dominion is less LUCK dependant. You can always buy what you want and follow your strategy. In DC, what you want is not always available, so is a more tactic game of adaptation. Besides, there are some heroes very robust that will always perform fine (GL, Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman), and others that depending on the Deck's line up situation on their turn can rule the game, or completely suck (Batman, Flash, Superman and WonderWoman) because they depend on a certain card to buy.

The slot for Superheros in the box is a pain in the ass. I placed a wrapped paper on the bottom so you can catch the cards properly. The insert plastic box should include more slots for expansions... there's a lot of air.

Art is great, except on the box... I could have imagined much more appealing boxes, specially Wonder Woman's face..... she's awful there. Horrible.

I too think it's a quick game, with much more interaction than Dominion, so I like it very much. But I believe it can be frustrating at times, if the cards you need (in case you are one of those heroes that require a special type of card) do not appear, or others buy them. My last play as Batman in a 4p game was awful. I could only buy 1 equipment card until 3/4 of the game. They didn't appear on the line up, and when they did, other bought them before my turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cruz

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game rocks! After many months, we still don't get tire of playing this. I still want to get the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Troylus wrote:
This game rocks! After many months, we still don't get tire of playing this. I still want to get the expansion.

It's one of the most commonly asked-for games in our drop-in centre. After many plays, though, you get comfortable with certain combinations. Adding heroes Unite (not necessarily the whole game at once!) to the first adds loads more variety, not to mention more super-heroes to change the dynamics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to add after many years this is still a great game and I feel the best DC deck builder because it somehow plays faster then all the rest. Also want to add Aqua man is stronger then you would think if played right. I would still suggest this as number 1 for introducing people to deck builders followed by Marvel legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.