Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: spells and barriers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Garvey
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
- a character encounters a bane, is it ok for me to now play blizzard and toxic cloud?

-I know an undefeated ambush gets banished, but that is the excepetion right? All other undefeated barriers get shuffled back into the location deck, right?

Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garvoid wrote:
- a character encounters a bane, is it ok for me to now play blizzard and toxic cloud?

Yes. You can play Blizzard or Toxic Cloud or other spells like that when a character encounters a barrier, since a barrier is a type of bane. This is especially great when someone encounters the "horde" or "nest" kind of barriers.

garvoid wrote:
-I know an undefeated ambush gets banished, but that is the excepetion right? All other undefeated barriers get shuffled back into the location deck, right?

Correct. The default is that undefeated barriers (like all undefeated banes) get shuffled back into the deck. Some of them, like Ambush, tell you to banish them instead. And some give you the option of banishing them (like the Battered Chest).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garvey
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks Hawk,

So I can play BOTH Blizzard and Toxic Cloud at the same time when a character encounters a bane, it is not a violation of the one type of card per check rule, right?

And if I was the one who encountered the bane, I could play another spell for my combat check (making a total of 3 spells played now on one turn), right?

Thanks again,
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are restricted to one of blizzard and toxic cloud per bane you encounter (if one character has both - two characters could cast one each). You can cast another spell for the check though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garvoid wrote:
Thanks Hawk,

So I can play BOTH Blizzard and Toxic Cloud at the same time when a character encounters a bane, it is not a violation of the one type of card per check rule, right?

And if I was the one who encountered the bane, I could play another spell for my combat check (making a total of 3 spells played now on one turn), right?

Thanks again,


Each character can only play 1 card of each type during the "when a character encounters" step. That step isn't in the rules, but that idea is in keeping with the ideas of Encountering a Card. So you could only play Blizzard OR Toxic Cloud, not both. But your friend could play another Blizzard OR Toxic Cloud as well. And, since that is a different step than attempting the check, you can still play a spell to attempt the check (and your friend could still play a spell there too.)

See this thread:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qicj?Incendiary-and-Toxic-Cloud...

Basically, pretend there is a step at the beginning of the Encountering a Card Sequence called "When encountered" and apply all the rules of the Encountering a Card Sequence to it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.