Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the new expansion is out, since I have the XBOX version, I have 2 options:

A- Buy the XBOX expansion which is in fact the base game + exp.

B- Buy the PC version, since if I need to re-buy the game, why not get it on a different platform

They each have pro and cons, if I get the XBOX game, I could try to trade the old one (for board games), and I am more likely to play on my TV with a controller than on my computer with a mouse.

But on the other hand the PC version always have sales on steam and it had the option to add MODS which as a guy who like to change rules in game, would welcome any option to modify a game (which is not available in the XBOX version)

So the questions is: Are there a lot of game rules modification mods and are they worth it enough to get the PC version instead of the XBOX one? I don't intend to design a mod, just to use already existing mods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
which expansion? the china missions? not worth it
the mech and genes one totally worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is very little modding going on.

I like the Toolboks, as it allows me to speed up setting soldiers to Overwatch or Hunker Down. But that's it. All the rest of the things you can adapt, make the game easier, and there is absolutely no need to make it easier.

If you like playing the game on XBox, you may as well get the Enemy Within version for XBox, as it will give you the complete game, including DLC, and with all the Second Wave options (once you have them activated) which will give you more than enough modding ability.

If you want to get it for PC, I recommend you wait until they put it up in a Steam Sale. That might take a couple of months, but it will get there.

The main reason to get it for PC is the controls. I like the keyboard controls. But if you are content with the XBox controller, the rest of the game is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also mods that slightly improve the graphics and add sleeves back to gene modified troops, but yeah, nothing major. Most of the bigger mods look like they make the game harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the expansion I mean ennemy within.

There is now a complete package of all the expansion for PC too, so which ever machine I use, I'll get the same stuff.

Making the game harder!? I don't know if it's me, but if I want and harder game, I'll just increase the difficulty. I think I played easy, and the tactical mission were sometimes pretty hard.

I'll seem I'll have to brose at the mods to see if what is available truely interrest me. If I were to mod the game, I would change a few stats here and there, but that's all. There seems to be a couple of rebalance mods out there. Not sure if they are worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the platform you most prefer using. For me, that's PC. But I have an HDMI cable running from my desktop to my TV and a wireless 360 controller receiver as well. So if a game is available on PC, that is automatically the best platform for me.

If you have a sofa or desk chair gaming preference though, then I would go for the one you like best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the PC version support controllers?

It's true that I have a lap top and I could hook it on the TV if I really want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
So the PC version support controllers?

It certainly does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of mods, RPS was talking about The Long War the other day, which some might want to look into if they felt vanilla XCOM came up short.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/16/xcom-hardcore-mod...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.