Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
addam weirich
United States
caledonia
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a few TtR games that ended with me drawing from the top of the deck for 5+ turns just to get that ONE card... It's rare, sure, but it ruins the game when it happens and I fail to finish a ticket for 15+ points(30 point swing)

couple ideas to get around this:
- able to spend a card draw to cycle the face up cards
- spend any 6 cards for one wild

has anyone added any variants like this to mitigate this unlikely end of game annoyance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
addamaniac wrote:
I've had a few TtR games that ended with me drawing from the top of the deck for 5+ turns just to get that ONE card... It's rare, sure, but it ruins the game when it happens and I fail to finish a ticket for 15+ points(30 point swing)

has anyone added any variants like this to mitigate this unlikely end of game annoyance?
I'm sure TtR purists and fans will scoff and denounce this, citing that you should be planning ahead for such situations. For the most part, I'd agree with them.

However, as I am no longer enamored with TtR overall, this would be a nice way to spice things up for me. However, I'm wondering if the 1st bullet point would count as a card draw or not. if it's a free action, I'd probably change it to 2 or 3 train cards to cycle, as flushing the face up cards can be powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird, in my games there are always a few wilds available. Nobody ever wants to draw them unless they're desperate, so when you are desperate, you can always get one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
addam weirich
United States
caledonia
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and I would WELCOME a wild in those games... But sometimes it just happens. Like I said...rare, but really can ruin a game with a terrible stroke of luck.

And actually, my problem may be more specific to TtR Europe(I think it's Europe) where wilds can't be used on normal routes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
addamaniac wrote:
Yes, and I would WELCOME a wild in those games... But sometimes it just happens. Like I said...rare, but really can ruin a game with a terrible stroke of luck.

And actually, my problem may be more specific to TtR Europe(I think it's Europe) where wilds can't be used on normal routes.
Europe you can use wilds on normal routes. You're thinking the "smaller maps" (2p/3p) TtR Swiss and TtR NC. The tradeoff is you can take wilds and they only count as 1. OTOH, Europe is bad in some ways since if there aren't any wilds out there, there's no way to traverse the ferry routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
addamaniac wrote:
I've had a few TtR games that ended with me drawing from the top of the deck for 5+ turns just to get that ONE card

Been there, done that.

addamaniac wrote:
... It's rare, sure,

Agreed
addamaniac wrote:
but it ruins the game when it happens and I fail to finish a ticket for 15+ points(30 point swing)

Far from ruining the game, it's part of the game. Predictable games that guarantee a win if you do a, b and c, not d and then e aren't really games.

addamaniac wrote:

No need. You either run with it for those 5+ turns and take your chance or choose to do something different on turn 2, 3, 4, 5 or ... ooops too late .. someone else already won.

That's games for you. Sometimes Lady Luck is just looking the other way when you need her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
addamaniac wrote:

While this has happened to me a couple times, I'm going to have to weigh in on the side of those who disapprove. I don't think this is in the spirit of the game at all and is designed to fix something that's not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Seaborne
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
addamaniac wrote:

One of my friends with whom I play TtR regularly would probably welcome a house rule to recycle the face up cards, but I tend to go with those who say that it's all part and parcel of the game, and is a test of one's skill as a player to make the best of what is available and make judgement calls on whether to continue blind drawing or to look for other ways to complete a ticket using the cards you can see.
We have no problem with house rules per se. We get together to play TtR, or any other game, to have fun. If a house rule can improve our fun then why not go with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the third or fourth thread like this that I have seen in the last month. House rules are fine, but I don't really see the need here. The only time I have ever wanted to purge the face up 5 was 1 time playing Marklin when the passenger cards were no longer playable & ended up bogging down the face ups, getting as high as 4 of the 5 by the end of the game. In any other situation, the cards staying there means your opponents are having the same problem you are, and it adds suspense for everyone that you don't know when someone is going to get what they want from the blind draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
This is the third or fourth thread like this that I have seen in the last month. House rules are fine, but I don't really see the need here. The only time I have ever wanted to purge the face up 5 was 1 time playing Marklin when the passenger cards were no longer playable & ended up bogging down the face ups, getting as high as 4 of the 5 by the end of the game. In any other situation, the cards staying there means your opponents are having the same problem you are, and it adds suspense for everyone that you don't know when someone is going to get what they want from the blind draw.
Could you elaborate on the bolded portion? Do you mean 4 or 5 Passenger cards on the face up pile? If so, you're supposed to flush the deck when a 3rd loco (classic one, not the +4 locos) -OR- 3rd Passenger card appear in the pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Broadstorm wrote:
Could you elaborate on the bolded portion? Do you mean 4 or 5 Passenger cards on the face up pile? If so, you're supposed to flush the deck when a 3rd loco (classic one, not the +4 locos) -OR- 3rd Passenger card appear in the pile.

Yes, I meant that 4 of the 5 face up cards were passenger cards. I know about the wipe for 3 locos, but not about doing the wipe for 3 passenger cards. It was my first time playing that edition. The other guy had played it previously. I'll have to mention it to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.