Subject: SLIDERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About to play my first solo practie game and stuck in setup as I can't find how to set these sliders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You set them where you want them, there is no starting setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, so thats obviously at the highest number.

I'm unfamiliar with this kind of gzme, and am not into horror stuff, but allready find this strangely fascinating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't yet know what you're doing (or what your investigator can do), I'd say just keep all stats avarage.
Don't max anything out unless you know you're going to need a certain skill this turn, like a fight check to close a gate. Turn after that, return to avarage.
That way you won't run into any (ok, less than otherwise) nasty surprises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally start with them at the point where the two stats on the same line are equal or +1/-1 if they can't be equal. Then I think about what I'm likely to do first or to go first. I never min/max without good reason - it's way too risky, the game knows when a stat is at the min value and always hits you with a test for that stat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My setting of sliders is very dependent on characters. If the character has a 0-3 track, then usually I min/max it as most of the skill checks are -1 or greater.

I try never to have a skill with a value of 1 as this is generally a waste (unless I am in a transition because I have a low focus character). If it could be set at 1, then it might as well be set at 0 and give the corresponding skill a better boost.

Unless I am needing Lore, I usually default to high Luck; same logic applies to Speed and Sneak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if they keep falling off, the easiest thing to do is boil water, hold the end onc the slider in it for 12-15 seconds then mash down the ends. It will cool and stay put on the character sheet! Took me about 10 min and they haven't fallen off yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassoon201 wrote:
And if they keep falling off, the easiest thing to do is boil water, hold the end onc the slider in it for 12-15 seconds then mash down the ends. It will cool and stay put on the character sheet! Took me about 10 min and they haven't fallen off yet!

You have no idea about the game we are talking about, do you? I seriously doubt that PAPER sliders would like to be put into boiling water for 15 seconds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a somewhat different approach than those listed above.

Since Stealth is not very important (usually) at the beginnings of games, I tend to maximize my Speed until more monsters appear.

Fight and Will are the hardest to decide on; a Character who starts with decent weapons probably wants a high Will, so he can fight more powerful monsters and keep his Sanity; a character with no weapons will want a high Fight so they can at least take out smaller monsters who do little or no sanity damage. I usually move this slider more often than any other, depending on what I am expecting to be doing the next few turns; as you get used to the combat system, this will become clearer.

I usually min/max Lore and Luck... Lore if the character is going to be reading tomes or casting spells, or if they use Lore as their gate closing skill; otherwise Luck, which is the most common skill checked in Other World encounters.

None of these are hard and fast rules, and all can change with the situation; slider placement is more of an art than a skill.

Welcome to the Madness!!! goo This should be a good game to share with your boys, since you will all be on the same team.

Oh, and please do NOT boil your sliders; this will destroy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Oh, and please do NOT boil your sliders
What a great euphemism and curse! "Oh, go boil your sliders, you...!" Or "Boil my sliders and coat me in pickle juice, for I am a complete fool!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
I use a somewhat different approach than those listed above.
Well, I did say "when you don't know what you're doing yet". You don't want a newbie to auto-fail a bunch of checks and have a bad experience before figuring out how to balance things. But your points are good advice of course.

Radulla wrote:
Oh, and please do NOT boil your sliders; this will destroy them.
Yeah, where did that come from? (And it got a thumbs-up, too!)
Maybe there was a super rare Collector's Edition, with plastic sliders?

mccrispy wrote:
What a great euphemism and curse! "Oh, go boil your sliders, you...!"
laugh This made my day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

And you are right, I have absolutely not clue yet asto what I'm doing or supposed to.

I'm just going trough the rules in order, so I'm now at set up and move on to game turn.

I understand its a ying yang kind of thing with the sliders.
But it's not actually described in the rules?

And don't worry, I wasn't going to boil anything, even I am not that daft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 5 (of the rules PDF on FFG site)

Quote:
Each player also receives three skill sliders and places
one skill slider on each of his three skill tracks. Each
skill slider may be placed on any one of the four “stops”
of each skill track. See “Adjusting Skills” on page 6 for
more information on skill sliders and skill tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daa1982
Canada
Ontario, Canada
flag msg tools
I always boil my sliders to make a nice sunday dinner. Better than mashed potatoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Thanks guys.

And you are right, I have absolutely not clue yet asto what I'm doing or supposed to.

I'm just going trough the rules in order, so I'm now at set up and move on to game turn.
Take your time, and feel free to ask any kind of question here. Game on!

sagitar wrote:
I understand its a ying yang kind of thing with the sliders.
It sure is. I like this part of the game a lot myself.

You'll soon find that a lot of cards boost certain checks (weapons for instance), which will allow you to safely lower the initial skill in favor of its counterpart.

Just try and play it safe at first, and see what happens. And don't be disappointed when you fail a few checks, especially early on, that's supposed to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
bassoon201 wrote:

You have no idea about the game we are talking about, do you? I seriously doubt that PAPER sliders would like to be put into boiling water for 15 seconds

That would be excellent advice if the OP was playing Betrayal at House on the Hill, but he's not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I also usually average them out; but there are some characters, as mentioned, that have a min/max of 0/3. There also characters with low sanity, so I max their will. These characters usually have a decent fight and start with a weapon or spell, and averaging them would make it almost impossible for them to pass the horror check, putting them behind the eight ball right away.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Teeka wrote:

Yeah, where did that come from? (And it got a thumbs-up, too!)
Maybe there was a super rare Collector's Edition, with plastic sliders?

In a way, you're more right than you know. =P

The 1987 edition of Arkham Horror came with plastic "paper clips" (as the rules called them) for tracking sanity and stamina along the sides of the character sheet. My guess is that poster was confused about the version of the game we were discussing.

Either that or he was just a troll. =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to think that my way of trying to learn by simply folowing a rulebook isn't working for this game.

I'm more into wargames so you could say I'm out of my comfortzone

Am I right in thinking that I'd betterbraed the part about them 'checks' before setting the sliders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah.

You'll just fail a couple of early checks. You'll lose the first game anyway, why not make it memorably bad? After one turn, you get to reset them anyway (only up to your focus though, so choose high-focus characters). The game is sentient and will always give you skill checks based on the stat you just lowered, so don't worry overly much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kris,

Well for my solo trial game I've randomly pick four characters i/e Drake, Whinthrop, Pete and Sharpe.

Time allowing I'll go find me a baggy for them monsters and enjoy the experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One point of advice (due to seeing you have Drake selected) - spellcasters need high lore.

And you want to give each character at least 2 Speed (preferably 3 unless you need the stealth).

If you just follow these 2 guidelines, the rest of the slider assignments can be random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see, yep, got him on 4-1 as I figured him being a magician that might be his strong point.

Speed. lets check what I did there..

Winthrop 3-3 seems alright

Pete 1-5 - I read his bio and understood that he is someone who likes to keep a low profile so therefore figured stealth might be more his thing.

Sharpe 3-2 should also be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arkham rulebook is famous for being a mess.

The designers tried to take two passes at the material; the first half of the rulebook contains rules you'll need to know before playing, while the second is supposed to have rules you can look up as you need them.

Nice idea, but it is poorly executed. In practice what has happened is that rules that logically should be close together are pages apart.

Also, the full rules for the movement of flying monsters do not appear anywhere in the text of the rules; they are in an "example" box instead ( pg. 11).

Rules frequently missed by beginners include Monsters Guarding Gates on pg. 18, the "Miscellany" section on pages 22 and 23, and the rules for special encounters at some locations, which are printed on the board and must be read from there.

(Even experienced players often do not realize that an Investigator at South Church can Bless any Investigator, not just themselves; this is a powerful and important tactic, since a Blessing is far more useful to someone in an Other World than someone standing in South Church...)

The best advice I have seen is to expect to make mistakes in your first few games; when you discover one, continue playing correctly from that point on, but don't bother going back and trying to "fix" mistakes. It's all about the experience in Arkham, not some strict tactical situation; the game is robust and difficult to "break" with a few rules irregularities.

And of course, we will be here for you when you have questions.

There's a useful piece located here; http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/605472/a-newbie-faq-21-t...

Another great resource;
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/22286/universal-head-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more piece of advice; a Speed of 1 is almost useless at the beginning of a game. The only time one would set Speed so low is if one had to Evade a particular monster on an upcoming turn. Time is your most precious commodity. (Followed closely by Clues.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.