Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Of Mice and Mystics spoilers... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm going to try to record a runthrough video of M&M tomorrow, and I want to do a section of the game that really shows off some unique "break the normal flow of gameplay, while still demonstrating how the gameplay flows" section, and I also want to demonstrate how storytelling is integrated into the gameplay, but I also don't want to do major spoilers. It seems unavoidable though, so which section do fans of the game suggest I use? Simplest thing would probably be the tunnel below the kitchen and then the kitchen in the first adventure, since it's so early in the game not much is given away. But does anyone have alternate suggestions?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree: the tunnel under the kitchen is the best to show how the game works (LoS, lots of different enemies, movement, and the fact that you can move upstairs).

It's like the 3rd tile in the game, so you won't spoil anything major

An alternative, could be the last tile in the fist scenario
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the one with the tree and the crow that might attack you
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree to show Mice and Mystics, you need to include a piece of the story. The story is fundamental to the enjoyment of the game. The story is what makes Mice and Mystics so different, and it is why kids and non gamers can get into the game.

The first chapter is defiantly fair game, and it is not that much of a spoiler. The area under the kitchen is fine to show.

Good luck and Have Fun!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adr121
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

The first chapter is defiantly fair game, and it is not that much of a spoiler. The area under the kitchen is fine to show.


I agree.
Before I bought the game I did some research beforehand. There are lots of videos that cover the first chapter. So I wouldn't think of it as a spoiler - if somebody is looking for videos about M&M they probably already watched it somewhere already.

I like your videos so much that I will watch it anyway, even though I know the game
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
So I'm going to try to record a runthrough video of M&M tomorrow, and I want to do a section of the game that really shows off some unique "break the normal flow of gameplay, while still demonstrating how the gameplay flows" section, and I also want to demonstrate how storytelling is integrated into the gameplay, but I also don't want to do major spoilers. It seems unavoidable though, so which section do fans of the game suggest I use? Simplest thing would probably be the tunnel below the kitchen and then the kitchen in the first adventure, since it's so early in the game not much is given away. But does anyone have alternate suggestions?
When I teach the game, I always try to explain to the players that optional side plots are designed to increase the length of the game,and/or increase the challenge level, and usually broaden the story and/or add a reward. Players should remember this and decide as a group whether to risk the side plot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adr121 wrote:
youperguy wrote:

The first chapter is defiantly fair game, and it is not that much of a spoiler. The area under the kitchen is fine to show.


I agree.
Before I bought the game I did some research beforehand. There are lots of videos that cover the first chapter.


Yeah, that's actually why I was thinking about choosing something elsewhere in the story, since 1st chapter is "old news" and I thought it would be good to demonstrate something different. Plus I thought it would be good to show the mice having leveled up a bit with more options...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

According to BBG, Mice and Mystics was published in 2012, two years ago! I think we are beyond the moratorium that requires absolute silence about the game, especially chapter 1. There is nothing in that chapter that even comes close to spoiling the plot reviled in the later chapters, much less the ending of the story.
You may, no, will get some complaints about a spoiler, but they are usually doing so from a position of ignorance. You should make a video that shows the depth and richness of this game, in order to entice more to try it out. If that requires a peak behind the curtain than so be it. I say go ahead and wet their whistle, more sales means more incentive to create more expansions and fun things like...hero packs!?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiken Bird wrote:
You should make a video that shows the depth and richness of this game, in order to entice more to try it out.


Agreed, hence my question if folk had a better suggestion than chapter 1, tunnel under kitchen plus kitchen. Especially since later chapters means I'd have higher level mice and show more stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Chiken Bird wrote:
You should make a video that shows the depth and richness of this game, in order to entice more to try it out.


Agreed, hence my question if folk had a better suggestion than chapter 1, tunnel under kitchen plus kitchen. Especially since later chapters means I'd have higher level mice and show more stuff.


-Chapter 2 has a side-quest if you don't have a tinkerer in the party. Plus one of the mice isn't in the party until the last room.
-Chapter 3 has a mini game in the middle of it.
-Chapter 4 has 6 mice played in 2 teams of 3.

Such a fantastic game. I understand why you didn't want to go too far in. But as far as powers, abilities, and weapons go; you should be be sufficiently powered up around chapter 3-4. At that point my characters had at least 2 abilities each and a nice weapon/item they've been dragging along with them.

In any case, I'm always looking forward to your runthroughs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ayres
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to watching this Richard. Do you have a rough eta?

Cheers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow morning likely
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ayres
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.

Having just watched your Darkest Night run-through, I think there's going to be at least one thing you aren't going to be keen on...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.