Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Lost interest in this game, but, can't bring myself to sell due to SW love... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have completely lost all interest in playing this game. The tournament scene is unappealing to me and casual play has really kind of become stale and "samey". I have zero interest in buying the EU ships they are releasing now as I loathe the EU, with a very few exceptions (the TIE Phantom was fine as a one-off MacGuffin for Rebel Assault 2, but, the idea of squadrons of them bugs me).

So, all that aside... I now have a collection of several ships (everything up to, and including the Moldy Crow because I really did like the look of that ship) which I have no interest in playing at the FLGS anymore. I am trying to convince my wife to give it a spin, but, it isn't really in her wheelhouse (but she does love SW). So, I am left with a bunch of cool looking SW ships that I will probably never play with again, but can't stomach the idea of selling because they are Star Wars and I don't get rid of Star Wars stuff...

What to do? I guess just display them or something? Hope that there will be more cool legit canon ships in the future with the release of Episode VII etc..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why has casual play become stale? Is it because you're not in contact with lots of players? Do you play the missions? They provide lots of variety. How about varying the number of points in games? Or trying Escalation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, don't sell them. You may change your mind later. Sounds like burn out to me. Have you been a lot since the game came out? Everything gets out to me if I do it too much. I haven't had the luxury to play this game nearly as much as I want to, so I am nowhere near reaching a saturation level like you describe. The EU isn't a problem for me since everything in the game is made up.

Good luck finding a solution to your dilemma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should sell them. This advice coming from a slight game hoarder to an apparent SW hoarder.

I am really enjoying this game with my young sons and Star Wars Epic Duels is also a huge hit. I'd like to get a few of the existing ships - but I am with you that the new ships hold no interest to me - I just can't figure why I would want e-wings, phantoms and such unless I am trying to build some list to win tourneys.

Good luck with your decision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
I say don't sell them, I will instead offer off-site storage, for $100 a week (208 week contract) you shall pay for me to care for them and protect them, you will be allowed to visit on every other weekend where we shall play 3 games, 1 of which I shall let you win but in a way so you think you did it with magic and strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the non-tournament plays, the Transports have really livened the game up for me. The Transport comes with a 3 mission campaign, so A) takes a few games to get through and B) adds to replayability. At the end of a campaign, we want to immediately try again with a different set of builds.

I have a feeling the Corvette will do the same thing. And with both the Transport and the Corvette, they're canon ships, and you can even try to field thematic builds for a fantastic Star Wars experience.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't sell them. If the sameness of deathmatch is getting to you, try the missions from the various larger ships and the Imperial Aces pack.

There are also some homebrew scenarios in the files section that you might try. (Full Disclosure, three of those are mine: Fighter Scramble, Death in a Very Small Space, and Beware the Hun in the Sun). Try those out and see if they reignite the spark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd try coming up with (or looking around online for) some home brew scenarios to play, rather than simply list vs list. Also as mentioned the huge ships should also help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy the ships mainly for collection, as the game itself is secondary to me. These are great looking minis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
Why has casual play become stale? Is it because you're not in contact with lots of players? Do you play the missions? They provide lots of variety. How about varying the number of points in games? Or trying Escalation?

The players in my area are all hardcore tournament players, so, even casual play is just another deathmatch-in-an-asteroid-field, and swarms are fairly commonplace. That's what i meant by "samey"; at my FLGS, I walk past tables of people playing XW and it is just asteroids and swarms, for the most part.

The corvette and transpo appeal to me as a fan and collector, but, they are so expensive that i have a hard time justifying the cost in a game i am not really playing anyway.

I am sure i will hang on to them for a while, but, it just annoys me to think how much i spent on this game to not be playing it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel a bit the same Roy, I had an ebay blitz and bought an almost instant x-wing collection. I did some research 1st and the game looked cool for me and my regular (casual) players. But the cracks in the system appeared almost immediately.

75% of all the cards are useless/non competitive
50% of the empire ships are useless and the other 50% are only any ggod if flown in a (yawn) house brick formation.
25% of rebel ships are useless and the other 75% when comboed with the few useful cards are the only ships that can maneuver solo in proper dogfight style and still stay alive for more that 1 roll. i.e. totally 'overpowered' compared to the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I just create my own variety. I don't play to win, I play to experience. I played a very fun game last week of 3 loaded OMG's vs a solid Falcon, A, X squad just to see what I could do. I lost, but I took out everything but the A-wing before the 3rd shuttle took any hits. I just could not manage to shake that A-wing and after a few range 1 volleys it was over. Still, it was a huge challenge and I flew very well, only hitting 1 asteroid the whole game.

I just love the game system too much to not play it.

I also cannot believe the hate the EU ships get when all of them so far are out of lucasarts video games. I know it is not movie canon but lucasarts used to do an incredible job on its video games and I love the EU ships so far.

On the upside, even if you stop playing the models are pretty nice and could easily make a nice display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't sell them.

A year ago I was pretty into Star Wars, but none of my friends got into it. At the mention of Attack Wing a bunch of them bought into it, and so then did I. 6 months into Attack wing I finally got to take my nephew to a tournament, and he mentioned he liked Star Wars better.

I'm really REALLY glad I held onto all my star wars stuff. I'm even glad I held onto it through the period when y-wings were selling for stupid amounts of money on eBay. Yeah, it sat in the box for 6 months or so, but I picked up a few ships and picked up where we left off. Now my nephew and I go play at the FLGS every Monday night.

I'd also recommend picking up the transport. I just finished the 3 series of missions, they're awesome! That thing will liven up your dull scene easily. The missions are a lot of fun!

But don't sell your stuff! At the very least, get a smaller box for it and stash it away if you must. I have about 2 of everything and it all fits in a Plano 5231 (aside from the transport).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:
I feel a bit the same Roy, I had an ebay blitz and bought an almost instant x-wing collection. I did some research 1st and the game looked cool for me and my regular (casual) players. But the cracks in the system appeared almost immediately.

50% of the empire ships are useless and the other 50% are only any ggod if flown in a (yawn) house brick formation.
25% of rebel ships are useless and the other 75% when comboed with the few useful cards are the only ships that can maneuver solo in proper dogfight style and still stay alive for more that 1 roll. i.e. totally 'overpowered' compared to the rest.

Apparently I am not the most hyperbolic person on the board any more.

An A wing could potentially die in one hit, but what are the odds an X wing does? You need blank green dice, and at least 4 attack dice with a minimum of 3 hits and a crit, and the crit must be double damage.
That's what, .01% chance of happening?
And there is no possible way to kill a B, Y, or YT in one roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:

Hm, odd observation. I've had the complete opposite experience, but I rarely stick with "one build", and part of the enjoyment of this game is mixing builds and finding different things that work. I also love trying 'thematic' builds. For example, in the latest Escalation Tournament I was in, I played all the 'Red' guys I could (Red Leader, Red 2, Red 3, Red 5, and Red 6) and had a lot of fun with that thematic list.

So as to your observation:
- I've found just about every card useful.
- I've found every Imperial ship useful.
- I've found the only 'squishy' Rebel ship is the A-Wing. The rest are quite strong.

I think if you're only playing with TIE Swarms, then you might come to that conclusion. In my area, even tournament scene, swarms have faded away. I had no problems flying Han + 2 Y-Wings against a 7 ships swarm. People are starting to favor Rebel builds more and more, and offensive Shuttle builds are starting to be popular.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
sell them.

you really won't lose much money. or just trade them for stuff you want to play.

i don't know why you hate the eu, but you do. it's not like they have more ships to make from the screen. you're just going to hate the game more and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree, trade/sell them. Might as well get them into the hands of someone who wants them and can use them, and if you'll never play it again there's very little reason to hold onto them.

Disclaimer: I'm like an Anti-Hoarder. Nothing makes me happier than selling, trading, or giving stuff away to make resources and room for stuff I do want. But I don't see the point of holding onto stuff you know you'll never use again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A-wings with PTL and stealth device are a blast and rather strong. I have gutted entire tie swarms with two of them. I played a match (first with A's) where I landed 2 early game into an asteroid and they got themselves evaporated very early. The other two flew laps around the 5 remaining ties and picked them apart. PTL really makes the A-wing come alive and stealth device adds a ton of resilience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the ships, sell the house and move to another area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons I bought into the game was for the ships themselves (OT anyways). I figured that even if I quit playing or ran out of someone to play with I would still have some awesome Star Wars stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve hitchcock

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jet,,
im with you, i play for the experience,,i love to mess with swarm builds with the intent on screwing with my opponents builds, confusion rains when i split them up after the alpha attack, then k-move them all at once, i purposly bounce into other ships and mostly just have fun with it,,have only been playing since feburary of this year and so far have placed second in flgstore tourney (24attended) and third in starwars day tourney (13attended) this past weekend,,,the only loss i took this past weekend was against kath and 2interceptors, and he only took out 1of my obsidian pilots before time called, kath had but 2hp left and each interceptor down to 1hp left too!!
love this game,,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a big fan of the old PC games. I picked up used copies of the strategy guides to use as scenario and campaign set ups. Lots of fun there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
I was a big fan of the old PC games. I picked up used copies of the strategy guides to use as scenario and campaign set ups. Lots of fun there.

That....is a fantastic idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to create mission briefings like the ones in TIE-Fighter PC for scenarios I come up with. The strategy guide might be helpful for inspiration.

I've been replaying TIE-Fighter recently on and off but am still only only the third battle set of missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can give them to me, Roy. I'll take good care of them

Alternatively you could use them as strange alien craft for your Attack Wing matches

Our May 4th tournament had only...what, two players with lists that could constitute swarms? We had a five bomber Howlrunner list and a four TIE list with two squints. Everyone else was under five ships. It must be a GK Santa Clara thing, because I think the only swarm player who appears up here regularly... is me, and I don't want to put in effort to equip all those fighters unless I have a reason But at least up here we don't have the progamer TIE swarms that you speak of.

This does raise the point about what's the most common way to play X-Wing nowadays. I've hardly seen any scenarios, and most "standard" pickup games use terrain. I don't like fighting around the same six asteroids either but an open field doesn't feel as challenging. I've taken to dropping the transport-as-terrain into some matches to at least provide some variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.