Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Day
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi All,

I'm new to using PayPal and not sure which options you're supposed to use when buying games from other members. I'm a bit confused about the transaction fees and which party (seller or buyer) pays it. Better yet, is there a way for both to avoid it? Doesn't seem likely as they have to make money someway.

On the Send Money screen, do you choose the Buy Goods or Send Money to Family/Friends option? (The Buy Goods option seems to force the fee on the seller.)

After that, which of the payment methods do you use? I have my credit card and bank account linked.

I don't want to short-change anyone by using the incorrect option.

Thanks,

Flame Point Crispin (The greatest Siamese cat that ever lived.)

P.S. Yes, I was too lazy to go through the 20 pages of threads that a "paypal" search of the New User Forum generated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Keston
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sellers know the deal and expect to incur fees for the convenience of their being able to use Paypal. You can go right ahead and use the 'Buy Goods' option unless the seller has specifically asked otherwise. You could also ask the seller to invoice you. What happens here is that the seller just requests money from you via their own Paypal account. This is probably best.

You could use the 'Family/Friends' option, although then you'll incur a slight fee (at least here in the UK, if we send money abroad we do), but the seller won't. However, you wouldn't do that in a restaurant or a shop, so I see no need for you to do so here.

Paypal is normally pretty good (in my experience) should anything go wrong, so feel free to use whichever account you like. That said, should anything go wrong, I don't suppose it'll hurt having the extra clout of a credit card company backing you, so you might wish to go that route over your bank account.

I have bought and sold tons on the internet, from all over the world and have only ever had two or three bad experiences - that's probably a better record than I could expect on the High Street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends what you're trying to do.
If you're buying from a store, it's generally their responsibility, unless they've specifically requested different.
On the other hand, I sent some money to another user for a group buy, and there it's not a business. I'm just sending money, so the fee is my responsibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With friend/family, from a checking account, there is no fee (I think there might still be one from a credit card, but I don't use it that way, so I'm not sure). This way is useful if, say, someone picked up something for you at a Con and you want to reimburse them.

Buy Goods charges a fee to the seller, but it also provides benefits - it lets the seller print a shipping label with a quick click, and it provides you recourse if something happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
indigopotter wrote:
With friend/family, from a checking account, there is no fee (I think there might still be one from a credit card, but I don't use it that way, so I'm not sure). This way is useful if, say, someone picked up something for you at a Con and you want to reimburse them.

Buy Goods charges a fee to the seller, but it also provides benefits - it lets the seller print a shipping label with a quick click, and it provides you recourse if something happens.

This. If you do F/F from a credit card then you pay the fee. There is no fee for either side if you are paying F/F from a verified bank account. The seller pays the fee if you use Buy Goods, regardless of if you use a credit card or bank account.

I've bought and sold games on here and have sent and received money with both F/F and Buy Goods. As a seller, it's nice if the buyer decides to use F/F since it saves me that 3%, but they are also giving up Paypal's buyer protection, which allows them to get their money back within 45 days if I short them, and since they're sending it from a bank account, they also don't have credit card protection.

If you're sending money to someone you don't trust, then use Buy Goods (and you should always default to not trusting someone on the internet). If you do trust them (either because you know them, or they are an active contributor and seller here on BGG with a long track record) then you can use F/F if you want to be particularly nice, but unless they specifically request it, it isn't expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Ben covered it all. Weigh your level of trust / need for buyer protection against the desire to save the seller the cost of the fee.

EDIT: You could also split the fees with the seller or cover them all yourself if feeling extra generous, and do so by sending money via Buy Goods but overpaying. Then you'd have Paypal buyer protection, credit card protection if using a credit card, and the seller wouldn't have to pay all of the fees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If people request I use the Gift option so they can avoid the fees, I will usually let them know that I feel more comfortable using the "Pay for goods/services" option (due to it allowing me a bit more safety if things go wrong) but that I will calculate the fees and add them to the item price. Sometimes a seller will offer to take the hit on the fees themselves if that is what I felt like doing, but most times I am buying something for well-below the retail price so I still feel comfortable paying a little extra for the fees (because I am still saving so much vs buying retail).
I had a purchase on a gaming site a couple of years go south (package was never delivered and post office mistakenly returned item to seller, seller claims they reshipped it multiple times and it still returned back but they never provided tracking or proof it shipped more than once, I asked for refund minus what they paid for shipping, they kept me waiting until so much time had eclipsed that PayPal would do nothing and I lost out on $200). Ever since then I have been wary of gifting the money. If it is a small purchase or the seller has excellent/plentiful feedback as a seller and has been around a while, then sometimes I will be a little trusting and gift the money though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.