Subject: 37.6 board game in Google Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: abstract [+] info [+] [View All]
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a topic for "37.6" board game. Feel free to visit game site 376.su, consider PnP and try Android app from Google Play. All comments are welcomed!

Combining the western tradition of abstract games with revolutionary idea of using dice as moving pieces, this game develops a gameplay much more challenging and multifarious than checkers, reversi, and backgammon, at the same time it offers you dramatically lower entrance threshold in comparison to chess and Go. Also, its well balanced random component makes the game human friendly and vividly variegated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 37.6 game under open license is here
hothagrid wrote:
37.6 BOARD GAME RULES OF PLAY

The game set includes a playing board with 37 squares, 12 blue and 12 red dice. In the beginning of the game, the playing board is empty, one player has all blue dice and the other player has all red dice. The players take turns. During the game, the dice play the role of pawns: when a dice is on the board, it is supposed to stand on one of the squares.

During one turn, a player throws one of his dice and puts it down on any empty square with the same side facing up that faced up when you tossed the dice.

You can make a move with the dice at hand or use any dice you have on the board. If you take one from the board, you still have to throw it and set the dice on an empty square.

Each dice has six edges. One square on the board is surroundedbynomorethansixothersquares. A dice is “in place” when the number on the top edge equals the amount of other dice neighboring this dice. It doesn’t matter whether the neighboring dice are yours or the other player ’s.

In order to win, a player has to be the first one to get six dice “in place” and make sure that the other player doesn’t get his six dice there first.
Each turn can change the position for both players: for example, you can make a move in such a way that it will worsen the other player’s position.
One game lasts about 25 minutes. Although the rules of the game are simple, a game with a skilled player requires tactical skills, strategy and luck.

Let me get this straight...

No dice on the board at the beginning.

On their turn, a player takes 1 of their dice from either their stock or from the board, rolls it, and places it on any empty space. There is no requirement to fulfill to put it in that empty space.

A die on the board is "in place" when the die value is exactly equal to the number of dice in adjacent spaces. When a player has at least 6 dice that are "in place," he wins.

Looks good. Any tie-breakers?

I'm a bit Ameritrashy ... so I think this game would benefit having an interesting theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's like checkers or tables. Do you have any idea about theme? Tested it about 50 times, it plays really good... Sturv, your English is much better than my - nice short rules! :) No tie-breakers: who gets first six dice "in place", wins...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing that came to mind was "Cliques" -- each die represents a person. The value rolled is the number of people that person is comfortable to befriend. Adjacent dice are people that person has befriended. A person is "satisfied" when he has exactly the number of friends he wants to have.

Second thing that came to mind is Covalent Bonds. Each die represents an atom. The value rolled is the number of other atoms that would make that atom "fully bonded". Adjacent dice are other atoms that atom has bonded to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Persons and friends is a great idea to add a theme to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reread the rules a couple of times and believe that the greatest problem that the game has is the number of checks that need to be done to see whether a person has 6 dice in place with a busy board could get quite high. It sounds like it might be alright as I do like some abstracts, but I wouldn't be able to say for certain without some plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tested the game with many players a lot of times, its a bit like go game or tables. So, the play is quite intense, but no way boring or so. An the game is not endless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Circle of Friends

Social Circle

Warm Friends

Fever for Friends ?

37.6 C is just above normal body temp!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Becker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems really non-interactive. Like the ideal strategy would be to roll 1s and 2s. And the only honest way to control your dice's outcome is to reroll them, it encourages rerolling over adding new dice to the baord since rolling 6s are more likely to help your opponent than yourself. So people playing optimally would just keep to a corner by themselves and race to rolling six 1s first.

edit
Even the example in the rulebook shows the player who left his 5 and 6s on the board is losing, 4-0. Had they picked them up and re-rolled them, then Blue's 4 would be bad too.
/edit

If you flipped the win condition to be the first player who can't roll a die first loses, it would encourage you to place your dice so they won't lock but will lock your opponent's.
Perhaps it could go a step further and instead of locking in dice, dice "control" the area around them and there must be blank squares equal to the face showing next to the die. So early game 6s can be powerful, but late game they are un-placeable. It seems like that would have a lot more strategy to placement and whether you reroll or add a die to the board. It's also a slightly easier win-condition to check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda like Social Circle, relatively common phrase in US english.

Quote:
A social circle is a group of socially interconnected people. A social circle may be viewed from the perspective of an individual who is the locus of a particular group of socially interconnected people and from the perspective of the group as a cohesive unit.

from wiki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the fever reference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

But ideal strategy is not to roll 1s and 2s! The board is small - just 37 squares. So half of squares have less than six neighbours. Secondly, the game is quite short, so if you try to reroll dices to earn 1s and 2s you loose. Yes, in the beginning of the game 6s are bad, and at the end of the game they are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
english is extremely flexible so, you can do almost anything. Friends fever is awkward. Fever Friends is slightly better but, somehow, off-putting.

I see no listing for a game called 'Dice Fever' . 'fever' is sometimes used in slang terms as 'enthusiastic support or attraction' to something or some activity. Also, it works almost as a pun of 'Night Fever' an old pop song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to say that I appreciate the elegance of the rules and the fact that you've released it under an open licence.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I will!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Robin! I've printed the board on fabric and sewed a sack. Now the set is very compact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so now comes the part where I ask how you managed to print on fabric?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Starflier wrote:
Okay, so now comes the part where I ask how you managed to print on fabric?

The recipe... There are lots of services to print on t-shirts. So you print there anything you want and then go to some atelier where seamstress can sew the sack. That's it!

My friend has no printer and played like this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hothagrid wrote:

But ideal strategy is not to roll 1s and 2s! The board is small - just 37 squares. So half of squares have less than six neighbours. Secondly, the game is quite short, so if you try to reroll dices to earn 1s and 2s you loose. Yes, in the beginning of the game 6s are bad, and at the end of the game they are not.

But I'll try today some games when count not dice, but blank spaces! It sounds less natural but quite engaging! Thanks a lot!

In this pic, it seems W=12 and B=8 (I tried to check myself a few times)

is that right? Why would the game end this way if you only need 6 'locked' locations ? (reminds me of Stargate for some reason)

I'm hoping to play this soon. I bought some dice from Dollar Tree to try this game and Low Blow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hothagrid wrote:
Well, it's like checkers or tables. Do you have any idea about theme? Tested it about 50 times, it plays really good... Sturv, your English is much better than my - nice short rules! No tie-breakers: who gets first six dice "in place", wins...

Haven't played yet so, perhaps I'm missing something but; it seems I could potentially make a placement on my turn that BOTH satisfies my 6th 'locked' position AND 'locks' my opponent's 6th position. (yes, I'm sure a good player would avoid that, but it could happen right?)

just call a draw? or, ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played 2 games against my wife.

If you are still considering names for the game, I found myself using 'neighbor' a lot when explaining it and helping her keep track of scoring. "this die has too many neighbors" "this one needs another neighbor" etc.

Neighbors or Dice Neighborhood ?

It seems to me, there's a possibility that paired 5s; that is two 5s are yours next to each other and you own at least one of the shared spaces, away from the edges (internal) 'could' be very strategic. maybe work for it and/or try to block the opponent from building that grouping. The reason is, by removing your die from the shared space, you could potentially create 2 'in place' spaces , around the 2 5s, at once.

I will try to attach a pic of our last game. My wife played W and i played 'dark' (didn't have 12 of one color)

can you guys see all the 'locked' spaces ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WEll, of course during play, there were attempts to establish some points in a more distributed manner, but, as you know, there are times when you have a scoring opportunity taken away and you pick-up your die and try to find a more strategic spot.

I'm sure we will play again.

thanx for a great game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!) And about the question when both players has score 6. The rules say the winner is the first player who reaches 6. So just think about the moves not as the full circle when both players make their move. When the first player reaches 6 and on the next move the second player reaches 6, the first wins, because he made his move earlier. Sorry for bad English!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, I guess, if the active player placed a die, making his 6th 'in place' tile - but, accidentally also made a 6th for the opponent, the active player 'claims' his first?

In fact, I suspect there could be a way to make your 6th tile, while making helping the opponent got from from 5 to 7 or 4 to 6!

as far as I'm concerned, you should be careful enough not to make this mistake and, as the active player, you should probably lose if you created the tie - certainly if you gave your opponent a majority!

it's strategy game after all, that lies somewhere between backgammon and chess in 'brain burning', and a good player should always be thinking about defense as well as offense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a crude example in paint, please ignore the sides of the dice, just consider the values on the top 'faces';

If this is the beginning condition before B rolls, W=4 and B=5 'in place'(IP).

If B places any die roll at 'A' he will achieve 6 IP, but W will have 7 !

So, would B win as he is the 'active' player?

Also, I can see conditions where I could pick-up a die on my turn which would give the opponent 6 IP. If I roll and place to get my 6 IP - do I immediately win since I'm the active player?

If I fail in my roll to get my 6th IP, can my opponent declare victory immediately? Or MUST they roll and place?

I just want to be clear on the rules. Not debate what they 'should' be.

thanx for replying Artem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you are a rule hacker as I see!) Yes, the rules don't say about this rare things, but there is natural solution. If on the same move both players get 6 or more dice 'in place', than it's fair draw. And in the second situation when you pick up a die, nobody wins until the move has been finished: the count should be done only between moves but not during the move. Suppose, this should be clearly said in the rules, you are right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.