Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've got some decent-to-good stuff in my collection that I'd like to trade for games that I'm actually interested in playing, but I'm not sure about some of the etiquette and basics surrounding BGG trades. I'm hoping you can help.

What's the etiquette regarding sending out multiple trade offers? That is, if there are five people looking to trade their Settlers of Catan for my Ticket to Ride, is it ok to send offers to them all and then go on a first-come basis for the trade, declining any other accepted offers, or should I make one offer at a time?

What's the best way to get a general trade value of a game? I don't want to make insulting offers, but I also want to make sure I get equal value for my games. Should I go by eBay? Amazon? BGG user sales?

What else is important for a newbie to know? I'm not even sure if there are questions I should be asking but don't know enough to do so. All help appreciated; thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

What's the etiquette regarding sending out multiple trade offers? That is, if there are five people looking to trade their Settlers of Catan for my Ticket to Ride, is it ok to send offers to them all and then go on a first-come basis for the trade, declining any other accepted offers, or should I make one offer at a time?
The consensus seems to be you should send a Geekmail saying something like "Hey, I see you are trading Catan and I have ticket to ride. I am interested in trading, what do you think?" I also like to mention that I am sending a few messages around just so they don't feel slighted if they get back to you a few days later and you already traded your game.

Quote:

What's the best way to get a general trade value of a game? I don't want to make insulting offers, but I also want to make sure I get equal value for my games. Should I go by eBay? Amazon? BGG user sales?

I kind of just go on feel. Resistance, a heavily owned and cheap game is not going to get me something even in the Ticket to Ride price range. Of course everyone values differently but it's easiest just to compare prices on CSI or something, but I personally go on "feel" so that doesn't matter much to me. Like I said, everyone is different. Maybe just mention you aren't sure if the value is right but since you are doing this via Geekmail you both have a chance to tailor the deal to suit you both. I have several trades where we send 10 messages or so until we get it right. I also feel like the communication loosens me up if I like the person I'm dealing with. I want them to get a deal too!
Quote:

What else is important for a newbie to know? I'm not even sure if there are questions I should be asking but don't know enough to do so. All help appreciated; thanks!
You might be asked to ship first with a zero rating. Honestly if it's me dealing with you and we are chatting and you make me comfortable as a decent human being I don't much care on this. Also, check the trader you are trading with and make sure they don't have negative reviews. Oh, and a hugely important personal rule is to not get too excited to perform a trade you end up just trading everything. Keep in mind you have to pay something like $12 to ship. Oh, and with that, USPS has really nice boxes for most boardgames, but I don't know if the TTR square box will work...but in general their Priority boxes are nice.

Welcome to the trading scene. You may find it, as I have, to be a game in itself. It's exciting for sure and a great way to play a ton of games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
an alternative or in addition to trying to find equal value direct trades is to try...

math trades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Mike,

Unfortunately around 75-90% of offers I send are never acknowledged. If you are worried about 2+ people accepting the same offer, I'd simply send them a geekmail rather than using the formal trade format, then use the correct format once they agree.

I do recommend looking at the value of the games involved. You can use the replacement cost, or look at what it's been selling for in the market place here: http://www.spielboy.com/# Many people with out of print games, will only trade them for another similar game, even if you offer to bridge the gap with cash.

Remember, shipping will run $10-15 on a single game, so factor that in when trading. I've made some trades that ended up being losers for me because of what I spent on shipping.

Have fun! Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. I'm happy to help.

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with what tacoSEVEN said.

Start with a geekmail, and also take a look at the trading forum, and DEFINITELY participate in the next math trade that fits your geographic region.

Do NOT send people unsolicited trade requests--you'd think that's what it's there for, but really it just annoys people, who then may GM you say how annoyed they are (happened to me when I first joined).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a math trade up right now. I think it hasn't closed, you still got time to hop in on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the very basics of a math trade, but I think I should probably ad some more items to my want list. Can someone link me to the current, active math trade?

I found it, but now I'm intimidated...77 pages of geeklist to look through!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.