Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played this game twice solitaire. Tried Emergence, failed it twice (yeah, I sucked). I do love the game, though.

This weekend, I plan on playing the game with my teenage brother, who's definitely a gamer and likes boardgames although the high-stimulation of videogames is rocking his socks off right now. I'd like to try this game co-op and figure he'll like it, due to the teenage-boy appeal of the theme and he's heard of the videogame. However, I worry that we might blow through Emergence and then he'll not want to play a new scenario, leaving him underwhelmed with the game.

So I'd like something a bit meatier but not necessarily difficult. China Shop is out, I've seen way too many comments about that scenario. What's a good "all-around" scenario that's fun and shouldn't take longer than 90 minutes (not including setup/teardown)? Roadblocks, I watched RR's walkthrough and don't like that there's only one Locust throughout much of it, so I don't feel this scenario is a good "all-around" example.

I'd like to be able to pick up a weapon or two (2 COGs), fight multiple enemies, interesting generic scenario. I think he'd like it if it was just "reach the exit and kill aliens the whole way there" but something that would take it to the next level would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
I think emergence is perfect in terms of difficulty and duration.

You should try advancing every chance you get, never stay out of cover,always try to mitigate being hit by using reaction abilities (dodge if out of cover, ¨counter-attack¨ if able).

This game is not that hard once you understand that every card in your hand is very valuable since it counts as stamina,actions,reactions.

Using your COG´s ability and Lancer´s constant ability EVERY chance you get is also very important in this game.

Ammunition is very scarce so you should take care of locusts by using the right cards not emptying your clip on an ¨A¨ Locust just because you can (because you do).

Also, if playing co-op (not playing solo with a single COG) you should stay together all the time, this is not the kind of game where each player does his thing, it´s pure co'op.

I´ve played this game.. well.. many, many times. It is one of my favourite co-ops and we did get beaten most of the time in our first attempts. Learning to make use of each and every single ability on each card and COG and taking every opportunity will make a difference.

I never remeber losing because of the dice actually so I wouldn´t say it´s difficult just because the black die has a greater percent of dealing damage than the percentage of avoiding wounds with the red die.

Also, don´t forget that during the emergence scenario the only hole where they can spawn from is the one at the end, all the other holes are closed (my first mistake was this).

Great game, I hope you and your brother will have as much fun as I did.

PS: Stay in cover!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! Ok then, looks like Emergence it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Warren
msg tools
So, Moe, have you played Emergence yet?

I've played that one many times, and it's still a favorite. I like to try different combinations (or solo) of COGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played it with yhe bro and beat it! Have them yried China Shop, solitaire and with bro, still have yet to make it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Warren
msg tools
Moe45673 wrote:
Played it with yhe bro and beat it! Have them yried China Shop, solitaire and with bro, still have yet to make it!

That's good to hear! I actually haven't played China Shop yet after reading how difficult it is. However, my son just told me that he wants to play the mission with the "really big dude". That one will be up next, I guess. We still need to finish our trial run of Belly of the Beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.