Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I used to play Magic the Gathering and loved all the different mechanics the game had to offer. I loved hand manipulation, graveyard manipulation, direct damage to creatures, Etc.

I noticed smash up has a lot of similar mechanics and therefore I really enjoyed the one game I played with the base set.

what other games share in the fun mechanics, but are not collectible card games, Or living card games. I really enjoy the fact that you take tSo random decks and put them together to play. This allows my wife and I to play on an even playing field as opposed to magic where I could build a more powerful Deckdo to my knowledge of magic as opposed to my wife.I'm not really into building decks like I did in Magic the Gathering

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon Legends might be up your ally. FFG has taken the original Blue Moon card game and repackaged it as a boxed set with all the original decks brought together in one package. It's shipping to stores right now and should be out shortly.

There are some deck-building options, but they really are optional. Each deck has its own flavor and style. The art work is incredible. Sort of a bidding game with plenty of card-related powers that provide plenty of twists.

Not my favorite game, but a very solid two-player game that many love. I had a complete collection that I sold when it was OOP and in high demand, but I'm going to buy the new set since I have a soft spot for it still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could investigate Mage Wars... not quite the same thing, but has a lot of interesting card effects and combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse is a coop game that has different decks depending on your hero and villain. I'm not too fond of that game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second on Sentinels. I'm a big fan. Each hero (and really each villain) offers a self-contained deck of interesting mechanics that vary widely from character to character. The game has some fiddly math to it, and you pretty much NEED to use tokens (the new version has them) or the mobile app to keep track of all the temporary bonuses and hit points, but it's worth it. It's a cooperative game where the "alpha" leader isn't a problem since each deck does its thing so independently. That's not to say you can't create some killer synergy between heroes.

The game scales extremely well and is easy to teach as far as the basic turn flow goes, so if you have some gamer friends over, they can jump right in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, if your wife likes playing MtG but doesn't like constructing decks, why not make up a few decks and randomly decide on which one each of you plays? Or let her pick yours. Unless you're prepping for a tourney, I don't see any reason to get attached to an uber deck that you have to use to take on all comers. Even though I played competitively back in the day, that was generally how I played casually since I was often the only one with a decent collection.

That same philosophy could open some doors for you with LCG's as well. I'd recommend Star Wars or Netrunner. If your wife enjoys going deep with learning a game well, then I'd strongly second the suggestion for Mage Wars, but again I'd recommend building a number of solid spellbooks and letting her pick your mage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Sentinels of the Multiverse, as well!

One other thought...

I know you said no LCGs, but I would encourage you to reconsider. One of the things I've always liked about FFG's LCGs, at least the ones I've bought (Netrunner, Warhammer:Invasion, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars), is that the Core Sets are very playable games unto themselves that include pre-made decks. Hardcore players often scoff at the thought, but I would disagree. Netrunner, especially, has four corporation and three runner decks that offer a great experience with plenty of replayability. The only one that feels a little limited is Lord of the Rings, since it's co-op and only includes three scenarios, but we've still had plenty of fun with it.

You can buy them fairly cheap (@ $27 online), too. Obviously, if you get into one, you can expand, but the point is you don't HAVE to to have a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that The Card Game of Oz actually has a sort of similar feel. It is based off the books, not the movie.

And yes to Sentinels, which is a co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base-scoring mechanic of Smash Up is very similar to that of King's Gate, and could well have been based on it. In that game there are 10 sections of the city, played in sequence. In your turn you place one or more of your buildings around that section, and when it is surrounded the total strength of the buildings determines who gets the victory points for first, second and third place. Each city section and building tile has certain special aspects about it that make the timing of when to put out strength a constant set of interesting decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.