Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
max raymond
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking about ways to create a two player draft from my limited collection (mostly only one die per character). And i have an idea i want to try out:

Instead of drafting before the game, a number of heroes would be available to buy for both players at the beginning of the game.

Once a player would purchase a die, he would get the card associated with it. If there is more than one die/card, he only takes one die and card. The other cards are still available to the other player.

What do you guys think about the idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
tournedisque wrote:
I have been thinking about ways to create a two player draft from my limited collection (mostly only one die per character). And i have an idea i want to try out:

Instead of drafting before the game, a number of heroes would be available to buy for both players at the beginning of the game.

Once a player would purchase a die, he would get the card associated with it. If there is more than one die/card, he only takes one die and card. The other cards are still available to the other player.

What do you guys think about the idea?

I like it generally. How do you deal with a player getting to choose first? When you say "purchase", do you just mean choose, or is there some type of bidding system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It becomes Quarriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
It becomes Quarriors.

But the combat is night and day still... so not "quite".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you don't become the exclusive owner of the remaining unpurchased dice in Quarriors when you buy the first one.

I like the variant. Saves a little time throwing together a quick game and seems like an efficient use of smaller collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
max raymond
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No bidding here. You purchase dice from the common pool just like you would purchase dice from your personnal stash of characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to expound, a general session would start as such:

Place X amount of characters on the table each with X number of dice on them.

Place basic actions w/ action dice. Each player gets 8 sidekicks and a bag.

Player 1 rolls and rerolls ending up with 2 Masks, 1 bolt and 1 shield. He purchases a 4(shield) Captain America die from the center, taking the die and adding it to their used area and taking the Cap card and placing it in front of them. Now THEY can use that cap and their opponent can't.

And proceed like that?

Very interesting. Malleable as well, when deciding how many dice, how many heroes, how many of each hero, etc. Quite customizable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
It does kind of mess up the global abilities on character cards though, since they wouldn't come in to play until the die is actually bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Huerta
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it sounds like a cool idea. I don't see how the globals will be messed up necessarily, you can still use globals, even while cards are not "purchased" since they are always available to everyone anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
max raymond
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The global abilities would always be available. It would be up to the players to decide how any cards with global abilities they want on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary D.
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
eviljelloman wrote:
I thought about doing a variant very similar to this as well - it might be the only thing that sells me on this game, and overcomes my general aversion towards collectible games. If I can put together a straightforward package from the different starter set versions, with dominion-like purchasing rules, I could see this becoming a "boxed game" that we pull out on game nights, instead of being a "take my collection to play against a friend's collection" type of game like Magic.

I had the same idea with the Dominion-like purchasing system. I had enough dice to field max dice for every character, shuffle all character cards together and deal out 10-15 communal characters (removing any possible repeaters) and placing the max dice count for all of them where people can purchase any character they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.