Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stathis Georgiou
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since during step 3 of Phase V you can re-organize your resources, you can hide the 1 or 2 knights and then during step 5 of phase V reveal them again. There is no rule against it. This way you can earn 2 victory points each turn. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get the reward for Knights in Jerusalem/Acre (i.e. on your board) regardless. People make too much of the meaning of "reveal". In this context, it just means "show". You get the reward for having Knights fighting in the Holy Land, basically. You get it as long as they do it, not just when they "start"/i.e. get flipped up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Oud
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure about that? Would that mean that if the 2 knights you start with never leave the player board, you would get 10 x 2 VP = 20 VP? for turns before the persecution starts ? I think that is a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Oud
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyjason wrote:
You get the reward for Knights in Jerusalem/Acre (i.e. on your board) regardless. People make too much of the meaning of "reveal". In this context, it just means "show". You get the reward for having Knights fighting in the Holy Land, basically. You get it as long as they do it, not just when they "start"/i.e. get flipped up.

Are you sure about that? Would that mean that if the 2 knights you start with never leave the player board, you would get 10 x 2 VP = 20 VP? for turns before the persecution starts ? I think that is a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xulmen7 wrote:

True, but I'll bet your Knights would be better used protecting transports bound for Europe, and then exploring. I can't imagine just leaving them there for the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xulmen7 wrote:
tobyjason wrote:

That's what I concluded after reading and rereading the entire forum several times and trying to tease out the designer's intent (versus what the developers did to his game) based on the designer's posts. (It's my fundamental inference that the designer's contradictory answers to certain questions stems from the rules having been changed from HIS rules, and him sometimes trying to make his rules match the R.A.W., such as they are, but sometimes just answering as he remembers.)

EDIT: Designer confirmed this in this thread: A few rules questions. The question about revealed knights was asked by Cornicer.
Christian Langer
Germany
Coburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
FIS Franconian Gaming Club
badge
History teacher at work
mbmbmbmbmb

Cornicer wrote:

3. Recruitment: What does it mean to reveal a knight in a castle in that phase? I show that I've got a knight and then receive either a coin or a victory point. But does the knight stay revealed or can I get the bonus each round as long as the knight stays in the castle (which is the way I played)? --- and connected to that point: as I can only get a bonus for knights on my player sheet, the castles in the other provinces are only useful for getting novices or turning novices into knights - right?

It was answered tentatively by a user named Avedis, aka
Avedis Yaacoubian
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools

mawrocks wrote:

3) Wording might be confusing, but basically for every knight on your player sheet you get either a coin or a point. The other castles are basically only useful for upgrading novices to knights as far as I can tell.

His answer was confirmed by the designer aka
Newyn
Italy
Correzzana
Italia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

newyn wrote:

3. Yes, Avedis has replied correctly.

END OF EDIT

And yes, that's the point, I think: it's worthwhile to keep your castle in the Holy Land manned as much as possible, but also worth sacrificing some VPs to, say, get a relic to a chapel where it will earn you some VP and then be stored until it can earn you a bunch more. Or to make sure you don't lost 1-2 goods by a single die pip: goods which easily can be sold for 5+ coins each, coins which in turn convert to 1 VP buildings at a rate or 2 or 3 coins per building. Those buildings also facilitate the generation of further VP. But that doesn't happen as ably if a caravan loses a battle.

(That's my defense of the idea, anyway: I have no idea whether it's actually balanced.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.