8 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Drawing for random ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, one of the things I think is cool about the new expansion is the introduction of "Haven" tokens keyed to the colors of the ships.

When I play, I typically draw my leader randomly. Now, I have an easy way to do it for ships, too. Sure, I could have randomly drawn from the ship cards before, but now it's easier.

To keep things interesting and make ALL ships unique (rather than 3 unique +4 Firefly), I may assign a single starting Ship Upgrade to each of the base Fireflies. Since there were four Upgrades costing $600 (the cheapest upgrades other than Cry Babies) in the starting set, I'm thinking:

SERENITY: While Serenity has or uses a number of upgrades throughout the show, since it's Mal's ship, and Mal is geared toward Crime, the SKYHOOK is the obvious choice.

BONNIE MAE: For better or worse, I always think of this one as Nandi's ship. I like to think that if she's survived, she might have created a flying brothel. Based on that -- and her special ability -- EXPANDED CREW QUARTERS makes sense.

BONANZA: Again, I mentally assign this one to a specific captain: Rance Burgess. Since Burgess is a shipping magnate, EXTERIOR CARGO PODS is a natural fit.

YUN QI: At that leaves the Yun Qi -- which I always tend to push off to the side -- with a FULLY EQUIPPED MED BAY by default.

Next time I print out cards, I may print out "PROPERTY OF" cards for myself for these upgrades as well as the Artful Dodger's engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Helms
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the size of the crew that Mal ended up with on, Expanded Crew Quarters would be more appropriate for Serenity.

(And I always take the Bonnie Mae when playing with Monty, for some reason.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Different strokes for different folks.

I actually usually prefer the Bonnie Mae with ANY captain just because of the color (Bonanza second)... but since I think my first "real" game may have been Nandi/Bonnie Mae, I always associate those two.

I know there was a discussion thread re: Serenity and her Upgrades. Technically, she starts with a Cry Baby, because that one gets used early on (when the crew is at 6 - Mal, Zoe, Wash, Kaylee, Jayne, Inara).

Throughout the series, though, it seems to be Fully Equipped Med Bay, Extended Crew Quarters, and Sky Hook -- and now the EVA Suit.

We know the ship DOESN'T have stuff that prevents breakdowns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Since the introduction of the Artful Dodger in my group's games, we've drawn ships randomly.

Funny when I started reading your post my first thought was Skyhook for Serenity!

To me though, Nandi's ship is the Artful Dodger, with her Ability to get crew for free, stocking up on crew and getting on with the task and crime jobs is a great tactic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh And here's one more possibility for future official expansions--Alternate Set Ups for Fireflies! Although you seem to have it pretty well covered!

Customized Ships: Another variation would be to allow each Captain to purchase any one Upgrade at start--going in turn order, to prevent clashes over rare upgrades.

This goes along with the spirit of what I plan to do if offering alternate ships at start as a regular thing, now that there are a few possibilities--making the captain pay/collect the price difference. Its a good way to make the price info we get a game factor (which I wouldn't be surprised may come out in a official expansion too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
sounds like this makes mal, arguably already the strongest captain, *even stronger* if you pair mal with the skyhook immediately. Mal being a pilot, immediate gets, in this scenario,
- extra free transport
- double bonus on all crime jobs
and, if you DONT have mal as captain, the upgrade is 100% unusable until a pilot is bought.

Most of those other upgrades are of little consequence; in non-money games crew quarters can help meet tough rolls but it is not an immediate bonus at game start.

I would give it something else, maybe one of the lame engines (+1 burn range) or other weaker upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think on my next game with my five player group, I'm going to take out the Bonanza and Yun Qi (my least favourite for some reason!) and randomly assign players the remaining ships. That should make for a more varied game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JON: I think there's room for another house rule like this in my ACES & EIGHTS expansion, so I'll probably fold it in there -- the ships, at least.

I'm sure there are other ways to do alternate set-up. For example, I often double-prime the pumps just to make start-up easier... or, conversely, for more challenge, start with $1000 + 4 Cargo rather than $3000. (That could make early Piracy insanely lucrative, though!)

Jonnin wrote:
sounds like this makes mal, arguably already the strongest captain, *even stronger* if you pair mal with the skyhook immediately. Mal being a pilot, immediate gets, in this scenario,
- extra free transport
- double bonus on all crime jobs
and, if you DONT have mal as captain, the upgrade is 100% unusable until a pilot is bought.

Hey, what you do with it is your business. I'm looking for a way to make each ship stand out, so if I randomly pick, it's not like, "well, there'se these three unique situations, but a 57% change of just the same-old."

Since I randomly draw captains, too, sure, I MIGHT wind up with Mal and the Sky Hook... but I also might wind up with Burgess and the Sky Hook...

As for the upgrade being unusable without a pilot, ALL of the upgrades indicated are unusuable until you meet the right conditions (Pilot, Medic, Crew of 6, or full Cargo Hold).

Jonnin wrote:
I would give it something else, maybe one of the lame engines (+1 burn range) or other weaker upgrade.

I'm not looking for a massive game-changer here, just a way to give each ship a unique identity to start. Speaking only for myself, depending on what ship I draw randomly, it may influence my eary decisions. For example, with the Bonanza, I would be slightly more likely to take on an early Shipping or Transport Job, even if it's relatively low-paying, that I can drop off sometime in my travels. The Bonnie Mae would make me more inclined to be less picky in my Crew selection: with a few extra slots, it doesn't matter if I pick up a Scrapper instead of a better pilot or mechanic, and low-pay Hill Folk or Gunhands can still carry gear... (Secondary point: Since I will ultimately have opportunity for MORE gear, I'd also probably be more likely to get Discard-to-use-as items).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.