Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked out the publisher's website for this one - it looks such a great game and seems to be getting a lot of favourable comments and so on.

But which version to buy? There was some sort of delux version - there was an expansion kit - (does that convert the basic into the delux?) - there was a goretex map. Goretex? I have a goretex jacket I go hillwalking in - it keeps me dry but is breathable to allow for perspiration - so is this goretex map there so I can take the game camping with me?!!! (The real question is - what is the advantage of the goretex map? At the price requested it must offer some great benefits - none of which I could determine from the website!))

After 20 or so frustrating minutes it wasn't very clear to me what my best option was - (what was that extra bit of extension map - was that included in the base version?) - so I just left the thing alone and have slightly cooled on the project now.

Very strange - poor marketing I'd have thought. I want to know - when I'm shopping for such an item - exactly what I'm getting, and what I'm missing out on if I don't go for the full bells and whistles option(s). That information MAY be discernible from the website but if I can't find it in 20 minutes that MAY be my fault - but in any event it does mean a sale was missed - and just possibly lost forever.

Anyway - I'm not taking a swipe at anyone - just offering my report on a frustrating customer experience in a spirit of what I hope is constructive criticism. The game looks great - I may (or may not) rekindle my interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

I believe you are 100% right.

The website, as it is, does not help a lot and must be improved.

We have been all very busy here, and was me asking for everybody beeing focused on the new 3 wargames we are finalizing in these days (2 out in weeks).

As soon as they are closed, the website improvement is my first task.

Thanks for having put this on my attention.

We really need this kind of interaction and appreciate this kind of comments from you all and the only reason we have reached this point is your active partecipation.

We must not be deaf.

ALL THE BEST

emanuele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Emanuele. I'm pleased my comments were taken in the manner I intended. I have no wish to whine and complain about games designers - whom I generally regard as a higher form of life anyway!

BITE is back on my hotlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Labarque
Belgium
Kortrijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John,

The game is a lot a fun and you don't "need" anything more than what comes in the Standard edition box.

The limited edition had these extra's:
• 1 "BLOCKS IN THE EAST" T-Shirt
• 318 PVC glossy LE stickers
• 2 colored cardboard Order of Battles
• 20 wooden yellow 1 PP settlements
• 2 wooden yellow 2 PP settlements
• 3 wooden black 1 Oil-PP oilfield center
• 2 wooden black 5 Oil-PP oilfield center
• 20 wooden red Soviet partisans
• 10 wooden SRM lokomotives (5 red, 4 black, 1 white)
• 5 wooden naval movement boats (2 red, 1 black, 1 light blue, 1 light green)
• 3 wooden purple strategic bomb hits
• 2 plastic black victory city flags with base

The extra pieces are just nice to have. They can be used to mark things on the map (such as rebuilt settlements).

If by the expansion kit you mean the BITE chrome expansion, then no it does not turn the Standard edition into the limited edition. The Chrome expansion basically just adds chrome to game. Optional events and units which can be added to the game. Great stuff for what-if scenario's.

The extension map is included in the Standard edition.

Now the goretex map, the advantages are:
- 20% bigger hexes
- you can roll the map up
- and it will lay flat, so no need for plexiglass
- water resistant material, spilling stuff on it won't damage the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeeKenny GeeKenny
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding customer service, I have to say that if you have questions about the game no matter what, Emanuele Santandrea is the best on the game market!
I never saw this kind of service at another company!

About which game to buy, I think Filip made things clear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ford
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
After 20 or so frustrating minutes it wasn't very clear to me what my best option was - (what was that extra bit of extension map - was that included in the base version?) - so I just left the thing alone and have slightly cooled on the project now.

I had the same experience as you a few months ago and also just gave up, but I recently ordered it because the price was pretty good at FRP Games.

But does Blocks in the East not come shrinkwrapped? Mine didn't. It doesn't look used or incomplete, but it's unusual for a "new" game to be missing the standard sign of newness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Nope they do not shrink.
Small company I guess.
Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Nope they do not shrink.

Especially if you hand-wash them very carefully... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.