Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Where do cloaked mines go? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Downey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
So I'm reading the cloaked mine card and it says it has to be within range 2 of the ship. Does that mean the entire mine field token needs to be inside range 2? Or can I have just a small toe of the token within range 2?

Also someone on the board said you could only be attacked by one cloaked mine a turn. Is that true? I don't see anything that indicates you can only be attacked one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas wilson
msg tools
Its in the FAQ
Quote:

11. If the trigger areas for two Cloaked Mines overlap, does an enemy ship passing through the overlapping trigger area sustain damage from both Cloaked Mines?

No. In this case the ship would only be damaged by one of the Cloaked Mines.

However, if a ship passes through (and completely out of) the trigger area of one Cloaked Mine and into the trigger area of another Cloaked Mine, then the ship sustains damage from both Cloaked Mines.

however you do have the mercy of it only has to be partially in range 2 ..... so basically anywhere within range 3 as long as its slightly touching range 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there's a lot of rulings for it in the wiki staw:cloaked mines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ellis Norris
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:

how about sensor echoing out of the CM range? I play Roms, and most of my opponents aren't able to sensor echo, and I rarely ever run into them myself.(pun intended) So, if you run into the field, can you sensor echo out of it and *not* take damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sensor Echo does not cancel the triggering of Cloaked Mines. If your movement template is in the range, you get attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LandoG wrote:
delta_angelfire wrote:

how about sensor echoing out of the CM range? I play Roms, and most of my opponents aren't able to sensor echo, and I rarely ever run into them myself.(pun intended) So, if you run into the field, can you sensor echo out of it and *not* take damage?

Bob is right. You still take damage. The reason for this is that cloaked mines are triggered by movement into the field regardless of your ship's position at the end of the activation phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
LandoG wrote:
delta_angelfire wrote:

Bob is right. You still take damage. The reason for this is that cloaked mines are triggered by movement into the field regardless of your ship's position at the end of the activation phase.

Which annoys me, because the entire rationale behind 'Sensor Echo' is that you were never in the original location, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
LandoG wrote:
delta_angelfire wrote:

Which annoys me, because the entire rationale behind 'Sensor Echo' is that you were never in the original location, after all.

I think its a case of Game Balance needing to trump Thematics. It was probably determined during testing that Echoing out of any Minefield prevented damage, it made the Echo ability too powerful. Just a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathy Befi
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
Is it legal to place cloaked mines with part of the template outside of the legal play area?

Specifically, I'm wondering about the Tholian Web OP, and whether or not cloaked mines that were formerly valid become completely invalid, partially invalid (the part outside the web), or remain completely valid for range/trigger-measuring purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas wilson
msg tools
sakwin wrote:
Is it legal to place cloaked mines with part of the template outside of the legal play area?

Specifically, I'm wondering about the Tholian Web OP, and whether or not cloaked mines that were formerly valid become completely invalid, partially invalid (the part outside the web), or remain completely valid for range/trigger-measuring purposes.

good question i wondered the same ...

if the token is partially in the web is the rest of the token considered in play or is it removed ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no, the minefield must be entirely on the board. this was asked often back in OP2. If any part of a minefield is outside of play, the minefield is removed (including if an OP7 Web Token overlaps it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.