Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick O'Halloran
United States
Asbury Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Bubba
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I played this correctly, so could someone clear up my confusion?

I played the Bolt from the Blue scenario that only includes 1 nuclear couplet. The USSR gained initiative and both sides rolled a 1 to see who would get the first action, so the USSR went first.

1st Activation
The Soviet play selected a RSIOP1 (Counter force strike) as their first action and the US player selected SIOP 5D-10 (Massive Counter Valence Strike)

2nd Activation
The second action, the Soviet player expended 1 CP to launch ICBMs (up to 15) and 1 more to launch 4 SLBM's to execute the RSIOP.

The US responded by expending 1 CP to launch ICBM's (up to ten), however, prior to that, the Soviet SLBM's make their attacks. They target US bomber bases and DC and succeed in destroying DC and several bombers (1 escapes and moves to Fail Safe hex)

Both players, USSR first, moves ICBM's toward their targets.

QUESTION: Is this two actions which are not allowed unless permitted by rolling 2 higher in the activation determination roll?

3rd Activation
Soviet player changes SIOP to Counter Valence Strike and expends 1 CP to launches missiles at US population centers.

Soviet missiles move to their final destinations and resolve their attacks, which destroy much of the US MM III's I intended to use in my Counter Force Strike.

Soviet missiles targeted to US population centers move to their half way points.

US missiles land on Soviet population centers and destroy most of the major population centers in the west.

4th Activation
Soviet missiles targeted at major US population centers land and destroy the vast majority of US population clusters.

I think I've let too much happen in each activation. The US didn't seem to have a chance in this game as the US player couldn't get their second strike off the ground before the Russian first strike arrived. When the Soviet second strike came, the US was utterly destroyed and collapsed.

Please let me know if and where I made any errors. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick O'Halloran
United States
Asbury Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Bubba
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess what I'm confused about is that in the first instance, the US was able to get their ICBM off prior to the Soviet missiles striking but in the second instance, they were caught on the ground. Therefore, I'm not sure of the sequencing of my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played in awhile so I've been going over the rules to answer your question. I think you played the sequences correctly. You just picked a poor SIOP for the U.S.
SIOP 5D-9 Counter Force Strike is the way to go.
If I get the dice roll and can take 2 actions take a special action.(always try this!) If you get lucky you can make the other guy pass 1 or 2 rounds. 2 rounds is deadly.
Of course if the special action backfires your screwed. I've had a lot of fun with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
patricko wrote:
I guess what I'm confused about is that in the first instance, the US was able to get their ICBM off prior to the Soviet missiles striking but in the second instance, they were caught on the ground. Therefore, I'm not sure of the sequencing of my game.

ICBMs move in first action and hit in second. IRBM hit in there first action. The opponent gets to take an action in between. You did it correctly.
Soviet action. Fire ICBM and IRBM
U.S. action. Fire ICBMN
Soviet IRBMs hit.
Both sides moive ICBMs
Next action
Soviet action. whatever
U.S ICBMs hit
U.S. action. whatever
Soviet ICBMs hit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you post in the First strike forum on CSW the designer will answer your questions directly.
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dcff7b2
I found the information there invaluable in learning the game! Some great AARs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick O'Halloran
United States
Asbury Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Bubba
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the assistance billyboy! It would be nice to have this in Vassal, I'm not familiar with ZunTzu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
patricko wrote:
Thanks for the assistance billyboy! It would be nice to have this in Vassal, I'm not familiar with ZunTzu.

Your welcome Patrick. Zuntzu works ok but its not as smooth as vassal. I had my future son in law (graphic designer) make me a new map at %133 size. Beautiful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick O'Halloran
United States
Asbury Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Bubba
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
patricko wrote:

ICBMs move in first action and hit in second. IRBM hit in there first action. The opponent gets to take an action in between. You did it correctly.
Soviet action. Fire ICBM and IRBM
U.S. action. Fire ICBMN
Soviet IRBMs hit.
Both sides moive ICBMs
Next action
Soviet action. whatever
U.S ICBMs hit
U.S. action. whatever
Soviet ICBMs hit

So, the timing of the actual resolution of the strike still confuses me a bit. if I have this straight, it proceeds as follows:

1st activation (assuming USSR won initiative and first activation, but not a double activation)

Soviet action. Fire ICBM and IRBM (Do you actually move them their full movement potential or just declare a launch?)

U.S. action. Fire ICBM & IRBM (same question as above)

Soviet IRBMs hit. (and US IRBM hit too?)

2nd activation
Soviet action. whatever (Even change SIOP and launch another strike using a different SIOP?)

U.S ICBMs hit (May have misplayed this! I think I had the Soviet missiles hitting first in my game)

U.S. action. whatever (Again, can they change SIOP and launch more missiles? If so, there will not be many assets for the initial Soviet strike to hit!)

Soviet ICBMs hit. (Seems strange to me that US ICBMs hit before Soviet ICBMs. I would have assumed it would be the other way around, given that the Soviets launched first.)

Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out with my confusion Billyboy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those ICBM are actually hitting simultaneously. It just says "after the next enemy action". Switch it up if it makes you feel better it has zero affect on play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.