Popular Tags: [View All]
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am largely uncertain as to the Death Penalty and it's use in the US. I understand the main arguments on both sides, but I can't say I have a definitive position.

I was just wondering what people's views on here were, from secular, political, and religious arguments.

I don't know if I could serve on a jury of a murder case where capital punishment was a possibility. I don't know if I could be on a jury that had the power to sentence the criminal. I don't know if I could be a judge that sentences someone to death, or a Governor who allows someone to be killed.

I feel like I should feel strongly either way, but I don't. I'm not ambivalent, I just don't know the answer which is right for me. Honestly, if it came up for a vote right now, on the local level (Not federal, because I don't think that the federal government should have a say in how states sentence crimes, so I would vote no on any federal ban), I don't know how I would vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
The only way I might possibly be in favor of the death penalty is if there was absolutely no possibility of an innocent person being put to death.

Even then, I'd probably oppose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
The only way I might possibly be in favor of the death penalty is if there was absolutely no possibility of an innocent person being put to death.

Are you okay with an innocent person being locked in Jail for life?

Would you support allowing prisoners sentenced to life without parole to euthanize themselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean "okay" like, not "That's fine", but "Okay" like "Nothing's perfect, it's going to happen"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in opposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
jageroxorz wrote:
ChickenSedan wrote:

Would you support allowing prisoners sentenced to life without parole to euthanize themselves?

If the innocent person is in prison and still alive, there is still a chance for him or her to be exonerated and released.

Edit: And as to the second question, I think anyone of sound mind should have the right to euthanization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I am in opposition.

Care to expound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
ChickenSedan wrote:

If the innocent person is in prison and still alive, there is still a chance for him or her to be exonerated and released.

Edit: And as to the second question, I think anyone of sound mind should have the right to euthanization.

I have a question about how to deal with life-without-parolees...

If they are stuck in jail for life no matter what, they have no incentive to not commit crimes in jail. Should they be housed separately, or in solitary confinement?

I'm also concerned with solitary confinement for extended periods of time, as I believe it drives people insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are some crimes for which a sentence of death is just and fair.

I believe that a representative government should never kill one of its People.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in favor of the death penalty. I am in favor of the convict's right to appeal. I am not in favor of the way the U.S. legal system allows convicts to stay on death row for 10, 12, 18 years or more before the execution is carried out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:

If the sentence is just and fair, why cannot a representative government enforce the penalty?

If by committing the crime the government can take away rights (Freedom, etc...), why is one right (life) unassailable, while others (liberty, pursuit of happiness, property) are not? What government except a representative government would be able to enact the "just" punishment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
I am in favor of the death penalty. I am in favor of the convict's right to appeal. I am not in favor of the way the U.S. legal system allows convicts to stay on death row for 10, 12, 18 years or more before the execution is carried out.

How do you reconcile the second point (right to appeal) with the third (length of time)?

Given the time required to draft appropriate appeals, at all levels, etc..., how else other than time is there to ensure due process?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
jageroxorz wrote:
ChickenSedan wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
ChickenSedan wrote:

I have a question about how to deal with life-without-parolees...

If they are stuck in jail for life no matter what, they have no incentive to not commit crimes in jail. Should they be housed separately, or in solitary confinement?

I'm also concerned with solitary confinement for extended periods of time, as I believe it drives people insane.

I don't think I agree with life without parole either.

The main goal of our prison system should be rehabilitation, not punishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what do you do with those who can't be rehabilitated?

Some people are just evil, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
joe_salamone wrote:

So you think some of these people should have been killed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasn't the death penalty been shown to be pretty racist in the past? I guess I don't see the benefits of having a death penalty. It definitely isn't a deterrent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
jageroxorz wrote:

That's what the parole hearing is for.

And I don't buy your premise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
SkitSkatCat wrote:
Hasn't the death penalty been shown to be pretty racist in the past? I guess I don't see the benefits of having a death penalty. It definitely isn't a deterrent.

Racist, anti-mental illness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
SkitSkatCat wrote:

Racist, anti-mental illness.

And sexist! But those statistics are very significant I think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

Which premise? That some people are just evil?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
jageroxorz wrote:
ChickenSedan wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

Which premise? That some people are just evil?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:

If the sentence is just and fair, why cannot a representative government enforce the penalty?

If by committing the crime the government can take away rights (Freedom, etc...), why is one right (life) unassailable, while others (liberty, pursuit of happiness, property) are not? What government except a representative government would be able to enact the "just" punishment?

Death is unchangeable. Other than life, a right removed can be returned. A representative government executing people makes all of us complicit executioners, and since there are no take-backs, that should not be forced upon us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may think I'm being combative, but I'm not, I really don't have an opinion on this yet, so I'm questioning attempting to form one.

Let's say Hitler was here, he was captured, imprisoned, and 40 years passed and he's "rehabilitated"

Would you let him free?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:

Death is unchangeable. Other than life, a right removed can be returned. A representative government executing people makes all of us complicit executioners, and since there are no take-backs, that should not be forced upon us.

But you can't return time. You can't return someone's youth if they've been behind bars.

You can't return ruined relationships, broken families, fatherless children due to incarceration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:

But you can't return time. You can't return someone's youth if they've been behind bars.

You can't return ruined relationships, broken families, fatherless children due to incarceration.

Sure, but they can at least receive reparations... if they're still alive that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.