Hide
7 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Silly question about victory timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Canfield
msg tools
Before playing the game in question, we did not know about, and therefore obviously were not using, the advanced tie breaker variant.

So we were playing a game last night, and one of our players grabbed their 15th coin in City Management. I was trying to figure out if she won immediately or if we played out the rest of the turn. I assume she wins immediately, though I couldn't find anything concrete in any of the rulebooks. So just in case we finished the turn, and I proceeded to claim a military victory as well. Of course we were just playing a friendly game, but I'm very curious... Who won this game? Are all victories immediate?

That being said, I've heard good things about the advanced tiebreaker variant, and plan on proposing the variant to my game group next time we play. I just see one question that will inevitably come up. From what I've read, military victories are the only condition that immediately end the game. So in the above example, her economic victory would not matter, correct? If that is the case, it seems like military victories sort of trump all. Is this intended? It seems a little silly that two players taking different paths should meet their win conditions on the same turn, but the military victory supersedes just cause. Help me if I'm misunderstanding anything! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used the tiebreaker, so I can't answer those questions. But yes, with the normal rules, as soon as she got her 15th coin, she wins and the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct on all accounts.
If you play with tiebreak you finish the turn.
Military trumps. But you can decide among your self that it will not trump a count the score. But almost always the score is not in favor for military since they usually dont have lots of culture and coins.
Maybe therefore they decided that it will trump all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
I think this is because it´s the only winning condition that you may counter (by defending yourself). Other winning conditions are more situational in terms of countering.

For example -
You can´t hold someone off on the culture track.
It´s not easy stealing coins from other players(but doable) You cannot negate a place on the tech pyramid(you can only copy a tech)

I like the variant, it feels more ¨thematic¨ than the one from the rulebook..The game could not go on since one of the players does not have its civilization´s ¨heart¨, which is the capital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll say that since Civ always runs pretty long, an immediate "The Game Is Over" effect is preferred by everyone. I don't see the need for advanced tiebreaker. First to win wins, ya know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
kungfro wrote:
I'll say that since Civ always runs pretty long, an immediate "The Game Is Over" effect is preferred by everyone. I don't see the need for advanced tiebreaker. First to win wins, ya know?

I think the reason they introduce it was in the case of 2 Technology victories during the same research phase. With the classic rules, the player who is the first in turn order (even if the research phase is played simultaneous) will be the winner, what can be quite annoying for the other one. But I understand the point of view that says that players have to take care of the turn order to know who will win first in like 2 turns and so adapt their strategy to it.
I'm quite ok with tie-break and no tie-break. Just play it the way you like ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot about simultanous Tech victories. Well then I'll use advanced tie breaker to break ties in that (rare) case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.