Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Dragon Fire Rescue is a fantasy tile laying game about responding to emergencies in the wake of a dragon strike. Players cooperatively lead a company of Elven Dousers, Dwarven Axemen, and Human Medics to fight fires, slay demons, and save lives.

This game is being developed for MicroGame Print and Play Contest [2014]. It is a coop that can be played in under 10 minutes with 1-4 players.

Rules (single page 8.5x11): DFRRules_v05.28.14.pdf or (six cards or small booklet): DFRRulesSmall_v06.15.14.pdf
Cards: DFRCards_v05.22.14.pdf
Card Backs (Optional): DFRCardBacks_v05.22.14.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dragon Fire Rescue - MicroPnpContest
I just tweeted a photo of the first set of color cards: http://t.co/AxLnylFS7Z It's much easier to see how rooms connect on these cards than on my old sharpied index cards: http://t.co/7saJolTQvg

I've gone back to leaving scored cards in place (although I think the rules above still say to remove them from the tableau). Next up: more testing! And then adding some variable player powers, which I'm really looking forward to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the cards to now included 9 new special ability items (links above). There are also some optional card backs for anyone interested. I'm still working on revising some new rules, but in the mean time, the new cards work as follows: everyone draws two random special ability items and chooses one to keep/use during the game. Most of these cards have one-time-uses described on the cards. And you flip over these cards after using them to remember that their power is no longer available.

If anyone runs through some plays of this, I'd love to hear your scores. I need to do some more testing, but would like to start focusing in on a threshold for how many points you need to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
subscribing for the rules readthrough once you have them posted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interest Todd. The rules are now up (link in op).

Btw, nice job on the last Something From Nothing show... I'm definitely looking forward to digging into The Draugr as well. Best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie reif
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job on the game Gary!

You should make a set of cards that are the rules, so the whole game can be on cards, if possible. Not sure if you could fit the rules on 7 cards...front and back maybe.

Just a thought.

Anyway, great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Charlie. I'm not a big fan of rules-on-cards and have been putting this off because of that. I think that I may have found a compromise though. I've added a link above to the rules in a form that can be cut into six cards, or a single booklet with two staples. I'll certainly be interested in hearing what people think about this.

I also added a win threshold of eight points to these rules. I'm not sure about the difficulty for a game like this. Part of me feels like a micro game should be harder, since it is easier to get a lot of plays in(?). I'm certainly interested in hearing feedback about this difficulty and what people think would be a good win threshold. Actually I suppose I should probably make it X + number of players... since those extra items typically help players score an extra couple of points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Mayeski
Thailand
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a lot of fun and kid friendly. I really like the updated card art! After reading through the rules some it's working its way to top of the games I want to print out and play from this contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note, Gary - with the booklet/cards version of the rules, the text for pages 3 and 4 has been swapped.

Had one game with my 3 boys (10, 8, and 6), and they picked it up really quickly and enjoyed it. We scored 10 points, FYI.

I do like the idea of leaving the cards in place after scoring - beads, coins, or cubes could be used to mark them, perhaps?

And just a last minor point - it's a little tricky to get the cards cut out accurately without any bleed (especially if you're printing the backs onto sticker paper and lining them up with a rather underpowered lightbox...), I really like the artwork, and I'd love to be able to put together some professional-looking cards (well, as close to professional as I can get).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback guys!

You're totally right about the page swap Jason, and I'll try to get that corrected this weekend. Marking the cards in an interesting idea. It would simplify the planning around the order that cards are removed in... I'll have to try playing that way a few times to see how it goes.

Regarding the pnp format, I tried to do a little survey of more experienced pnp designers on this. The advantage of the single cut lines is less cutting. I'm more than happy to reformat them for you and anyone else interested in this. Also still planning on putting together a project on The Game Crafter for this.

Real life has been pretty hectic over the last few weeks, but I'll hopefully be less awol over the coming weeks. Thanks again, Best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright rules on cards fixed, see link above.

Also for anyone interested.... here is an 8 card per sheet copy of the cards that requires each side of each card to be cut out separately (instead of the original 9 card per sheet format with neighboring cards sharing cut lines):

Fronts: DFR8pp.pdf
Backs (still optional): DFR8ppBack.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary, I've recently played a couple of games of Dragon Fire Rescue with my 7 and 9-year olds. We all enjoyed it and ended up with a score of 10 points. One question we had while playing the game was what to do with cards that might be orphaned after removing dangers that have been defeated. I figured that we just leave those cards where they are. Is that correct? The artwork was simple but fun and functional. It might be nice to do something to make the heroes stand out a little more. Maybe it's just the way my copy printed out, but the heroes' size made it a little hard to immediately tell who was who. That's not really a necessary tweak, but it might be nice to bump up their size a little

Anyway, we had a good time, and the games went fairly smoothly. We found ourselves considering which cards to lay down in what position so that we were more able to defeat dangers at a later points. We also found it frustrating sometimes (in a good way) when we hoped to defeat a danger only to realize that we were laying down a larger number which needed to be defeated and when it was defeated would cause the other problem's solution to disappear. In other words, the game has some nice decision-making elements. Nicely done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for checking it out Lucas, I'm glad that you and your children enjoyed it!

I have also just been leaving the orphaned cards in place... although maybe there is a more interesting alternative to doing so(?). I haven't really thought this through, but maybe there is a more interesting way to recycle orphaned cards back into the draw deck. I'll have to put some more thought into this, and try to clarify the rules one way or the other.

I'll also look into bumping up the size of the characters... but out of curiosity, did you play with a color print out of the game? I suspect it would be much harder to play in B&W. So much so, that I haven't even tried doing so.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed and were frustrated by the planning ahead that involves recognizing what order cards (and their heroes) are going to be removed from the game. I find that the most interesting aspect of the game personally, and would like to find more ways of leveraging that. Like possibly orphaning certain cards or groups of cards on purpose... which I'm excited to experiment with some more.

Thanks so much for your time and feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure about what I would do with those orphaned cards. I thought about having them move towards the closest cards, but that seems messy. I think either leaving them where they are or shuffling them back into the draw pile will work best.

We did use a color copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks. And I agree with your assessment of trying slide orphaned cards together. I'll have to experiment with either shuffling them into the draw pile, or maybe forming a discard pile with them that players can alternately choose to draw from on their turn.

Biggest problem with this idea so far seems to be defining orphaned cards. For instance do they have to be single cards, or can they be groups of cards. And if they can be groups of cards, can should they only be the smallest groups of cards? And what happens if you split two equal groups of cards. I think I might prefer this only happening with single cards that are separated from the map.

Time to run some playtests to experiment with some of these variations. Thanks again for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So recycling orphaned cards back into the draw pile really adds to the game, and I highly recommend trying it. I'm currently defining orphaned cards as cards that are not adjacent to the largest (or any of the largest, in the case of ties) clusters of adjacent cards in the map. Adjacency includes diagonal adjacencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed this out and played a few solo games, and I must say, I like it.

Question though:
When placing map cards, do they all have to be aligned the same way, or is it OK to rotate some of them 180° to fit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 180degree turns are fine, but not 90 or 270degree turns. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it! Best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SugarPillStudios wrote:
Yes, 180degree turns are fine, but not 90 or 270degree turns. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it! Best.

180° rotation adds more possibilities, but doesn't necessarily make it easier!

Still haven't gotten more than 7 rooms cleared.
I'm playing that when a room is cleared, I remove that card from the table, but I see that others are leaving the cards in place and marking them as cleared somehow, maybe I'll give that a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Kris, Please share, if you stumble onto a fun variation. I believe that all of the variations that I have played with involve removing the card that an emergency is resolved in. This forces you to think ahead about the numbers on the cards that you are placing, and the order that they will be cleared/removed.

There was some discussion early on about handling situations where removing a card splits the layout into two disconnected parts (no shared edges or corners: so diagonal neighbors still count as connected). The variation that I recommend is to remove all but the largest connected layout from the table at the end of each turn, and to immediately shuffle any cards removed in this way back into the draw deck. This will make the game play a bit longer, and can also add some strategy in trying to set up splits that return cards back to the draw pile. In fact, I'll have to double check the rules to see if this is already in there... but if it's not, I definitely recommend trying it.

Best, Gary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.