Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again folks! About to start another 3rd Reich 4th edition campaign game. (My third player's computer crapped out on us, so we were unable to play/learn this together. But I discovered my supervisor at work was an old grognard! And he agreed to jump in.)

Are there some standard, accepted PBEM rules that people use? I don't mean rules editions for the games - I mean, how do you handle things that require other people's input? (Like whether someone chooses Offensive/Attrition/Pass for each front every turn?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think systems like Vassal are set up for PBEM. You simply email a file back and forth, each player has a password that allows them to move their units. There must be a Vassal module for 3rd Reich. Can anyone else comment on that?

You have an awesome supervisor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
I see in the Files section a Rules for PBEM, but some of it seems not applicable to a VASSAL game.

We are playing through VASSAL, but do we constantly have to be sending the emails back and forth for every little instance of other player input? That seems long and tedious.

(Yeah, my sup was telling me about his collection - probably over $1500+ in ASL stuff, some of which is still in shrink wrap and so long out of print the publisher doesn't even have it on the website anymore. Stuff like that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
(Like whether someone chooses Offensive/Attrition/Pass for each front every turn?)

Oops. I'm an idiot. Deciding whether or not to take O/A/P for each front is the CURRENT player's decision, not something that needs feedback from the others.

Just pretend I didn't ask that .... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. A lot of stuff can be condensed when it's obviously not applicable.

Also, I just use the Rule 55 Sequence of Play as PBEM guidance; not sure what's in the files here.

Some things to consider:

* You may prefer to run SW builds and variant draws through a third-party umpire rather than sticking to hidden counters in the Vassal module. Several of us here are happy to do that for others' games.

* You may want to consider a dice-rolling service that provides results via email so that all players have the original copy of the rolls. http://pbegames.com/roller is one such; I'm sure there are others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(I'm looking at section 55 atm.) What about things where the "Defender announces DAS" and the like? Just agree to give the defender the BETTER advantage or something like that? (or does DAS not have that much of an effect? I'm just learning the game.)

I don't know - maybe there really isn't THAT much give-n-take between the players during a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
DAS is quite the "in the moment" part of the game. Sometimes a player wants to and other times he shouldn't even if it helps his odds. The pauses for DAS flight don't slow down the game too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DAS is absolutely a break point. That's the sort of thing where the active player will send the Vassal file to the opponent and prompt "Any DAS?" But as Patrick notes, it's usually not much of a slowdown with email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.